Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 01:00:48 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Politician makes moronic racist statement.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Politician makes moronic racist statement.  (Read 1125 times)
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »
Ignore

Former Mississippi Governor Theodore Bilbo referred to “dirty” Negro-owned businesses after winning the state’s Senate primary, demanding that “they ought to go,” according to a report.

“We got to do something about these Negroes coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Bilbo said on Tuesday night, according to an audio recording played by NBC radio. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need White businessmen to be able to take their places, too.”

oops, sorry, it's actually

Former District of Columbia mayor Marion Barry referred to “dirty” Asian-owned businesses after winning the city’s Council Ward 8 primary, demanding that “they ought to go,” according to a report.

“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Barry said on Tuesday night, according to video posted by WRC-TV/NBC4. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/74866.html
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:56:25 pm »
Ignore

It's Marion Barry.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02:07 pm »
Ignore

It's Marion Barry.

DEFEND HIM WHY DONT YOU

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02:44 pm »
Ignore

It's Marion Barry.

This pretty much. Is anyone shocked anymore when this moron opens his mouth?

True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:00:08 pm »

By the way, Senator Bilbo was chairman of the Senate Committee on the District of Columbia from 1945 to 1947, so he was effectively the de facto co-mayor of the district with his House counterpart for a couple of years,

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »
Ignore

Can't speak for DC, but here in my hometown, Asians (Middle Eastern, South Asians, and East Asians) run a lot of the dirty little convenience stores in a lot of very dirty Black neighborhoods. It's pretty gutsy. I'd be terrified to work in a lot of those areas. They're pretty much the only legit businesses. I wouldn't be so eager to see them go.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:13 pm »
Ignore

It's Marion Barry.

DEFEND HIM WHY DONT YOU

He may have been coked-up when he said it.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:48:37 am »
Ignore

In Marion Barry world, gays and Asians are bad but prostitutes and crack are good.
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 10:54:49 am »
Ignore

wormy, do you really think we like Marion Barry?

Jacobtm
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:43:08 am »
Ignore

In many African American communities, people who live outside of their community set up shop in black communities and take money out of the community back to wherever they live, which is assumed not to be down the block.

It's viewed as a long-standing part of African American impoverishment, that outsiders control the commerce of African American communities and suck them dry by taking all the proceeds elsewhere.

The idea is that, if black people who lived in the communities owned these shops, they would profit off of their community but that profit would stay in the community, enriching it and building a less exploitative economy.

White people never had this problem, so it's not at all comparable to if a white person advocated kicking out black shop owners.

Why do so many people here cheer on war crimes?
Israel and the United States "killing dozens of civilians with explosives", as you phrase it, has, throughout history, almost always been a good thing.
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:01:39 pm »
Ignore

I find it hilarious that Wormy thought we would defend Marion Barry and these sorts of statements.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
Ignore

I find it hilarious that Wormy thought we would defend Marion Barry and these sorts of statements.

I didn't, although apparently there are those willing to do so anyway.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »
Ignore

I really haven't anything to post here aside from that I consider Marion's statement quite disturbing.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:57 pm »
Ignore

Worm's act is getting old.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
JoeyJoeJoe
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:28 pm »
Ignore

This would be a pretty mild statement from Bilbo, I think, compared to what else he's said.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »
Ignore

In many African American communities, people who live outside of their community set up shop in black communities and take money out of the community back to wherever they live, which is assumed not to be down the block.

It's viewed as a long-standing part of African American impoverishment, that outsiders control the commerce of African American communities and suck them dry by taking all the proceeds elsewhere.

The idea is that, if black people who lived in the communities owned these shops, they would profit off of their community but that profit would stay in the community, enriching it and building a less exploitative economy.

White people never had this problem, so it's not at all comparable to if a white person advocated kicking out black shop owners.
Yeah, those damn asians need to stop forcing black shops to close with their karate, kung fu and two parent households.  Perhaps Affirmative Action can be put to work here?

Seriously though, I don't know why black entrepreneurs don't open shops in black communities.  I could speculate, but that could come across a little racist.  Black entrepreneurs certainly exist.  I'm sure they have good reasons.  I'm guessing that if a lot of these Korean (or whatever) owned shops didn't exist, no shop at all would exist.

Which reminds of the backlash Wal Mart often gets when they try to move into a city (like Chicago a decade or so ago), denying poor people the opportunity to buy sh**t cheaper seems like a dick move, but whatever.  Yeah, Wal Mart sucks, but it's better than nothing or insanely overpriced small shops or having to travel dozens of miles for the poor consumer.

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 04:47:54 am »
Ignore

Quelle surprise!
Reaganfan
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 05:03:06 am »
Ignore

Yeah, those damn asians need to stop forcing black shops to close with their karate, kung fu and two parent households.  Perhaps Affirmative Action can be put to work here?

Seriously though, I don't know why black entrepreneurs don't open shops in black communities.  I could speculate, but that could come across a little racist.  Black entrepreneurs certainly exist.  I'm sure they have good reasons.  I'm guessing that if a lot of these Korean (or whatever) owned shops didn't exist, no shop at all would exist.

Which reminds of the backlash Wal Mart often gets when they try to move into a city (like Chicago a decade or so ago), denying poor people the opportunity to buy sh**t cheaper seems like a dick move, but whatever.  Yeah, Wal Mart sucks, but it's better than nothing or insanely overpriced small shops or having to travel dozens of miles for the poor consumer.

What the hell doesn't come across "racist" nowadays, anyway. :eyeroll:
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 07:09:34 am »
Ignore

To be honest Mike, you're the last person here who should be asking that question. Given your record of openly racist remarks, that is.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Reaganfan
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:37 am »
Ignore

To be honest Mike, you're the last person here who should be asking that question. Given your record of openly racist remarks, that is.

What I said is perceived as racist, but it isn't meant to sound that way.
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 08:17:38 am »
Ignore

What I said is perceived as racist, but it isn't meant to sound that way.

This just proves you don't know the meaning of words.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:46 pm »
Ignore

Why does this thread exist? I don't understand.

Svensson
NVTownsend
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »
Ignore

Why does this thread exist? I don't understand.

Going on what I've seen, it exists entirely for Wormy to troll dem nazi communist libs, because they are so very clearly the only party that deserves to be attacked.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 02:03:04 am »
Ignore

He wanted to see if anyone would defend racism from a Black Democrat and a couple of resident hacks did not disappoint, but did indeed do so.

Whether that was worthwhile or not is a value judgment I guess.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout