European Constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:51:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Constitution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the draft Constitution for the European Union is a blueprint for a European super-state?
Yes
No
Don't Know
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: European Constitution  (Read 3183 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2005, 12:06:51 PM »

?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 12:23:28 PM »

No idea.

I donīt think it is THOUGHT as a blueprint for a European super-state... but you never know into what it will develop.

What is a "super-state" anyway? I hear this term often in relation with the EU, but nobody ever explained it to me.

Is it supposed to be a synonym for a EU-turned-into-a-federal-state?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 04:13:03 PM »

It is a pile of sh**t and won't work.  Not with all the welfare clauses.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:50:30 AM »

Yes, it is, but it could've been worst if the French ahd gotten their way with all that ax armnization crap. That being said:

NOT IN MY NAME
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 06:24:33 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2005, 06:26:05 AM by Michael Z »

No idea.

I donīt think it is THOUGHT as a blueprint for a European super-state... but you never know into what it will develop.

My thought exactly. Many would like us to believe that the EU is some big conspiracy to unite everyone in one European nation state, but in reality there is no big agenda behind all this. It's a blind process.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Super-state is an emotive term used by the "liberal media" to scare people into thinking that the EU is something harrowing and monstrous that is going to crush people's liberties. Well, at least that's how I interpret it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 06:30:58 AM »

Their absolutely will be a European Constitution but as I've said before this has already been predicted. "the rise of the new roman empire"
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 02:18:08 PM »

Anyone have a link to the most current document?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 02:28:55 PM »

Their absolutely will be a European Constitution but as I've said before this has already been predicted. "the rise of the new roman empire"

Hah hah, is this more biblical end times nonsense?

Anyway, Europe is great, and I wish the Roman Empire would come back - they knew what they were doing with those lions.  But I have no idea if the new constitution really forms a State or not.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 04:26:10 PM »

Anyone have a link to the most current document?

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/JOHtml.do?uri=OJ:C:2004:310:SOM:EN:HTML
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »

Thank you.
Tory

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 05:57:23 PM »

I think we were better off with the EEC. I will be voting "NO" on the constitution.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 06:08:02 PM »

This document is over 460 pages long. How many of you have read the whole thing? By comparison the US constitution, including the Declaration of Independence and all 27 amendments fits in a 58 page booklet that you can easily carry in a shirt pocket.

Are you guys sure you know what you're getting?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 04:07:46 PM »

This article may answer the question of whether the E.U. is already a European super state. Regardless of how you feel about swastika's the E.U. apparently feels it has the authority to ban them in all of its member nations. Sounds like a super state to me.

EU May Ban Nazi Symbols Over Harry's Gaffe
Monday, January 17, 2005 1:53 PM EST
The Associated Press
By CONSTANT BRAND

The European Union may consider banning Nazi symbols in its 25 member nations after Britain's Prince Harry wore a swastika armband to a costume party, the bloc's top justice official said Monday.

Tory

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 04:17:47 PM »

The European Union may consider banning Nazi symbols in its 25 member nations after Britain's Prince Harry wore a swastika armband to a costume party, the bloc's top justice official said Monday.

They are banning Nazi symbols by acting like Nazis. How ironic.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 08:50:05 PM »

This document is over 460 pages long. How many of you have read the whole thing? By comparison the US constitution, including the Declaration of Independence and all 27 amendments fits in a 58 page booklet that you can easily carry in a shirt pocket.

Are you guys sure you know what you're getting?
The actual constitution is page 1 to 185, the rest is just legal stuff like canceling the older treaties and stating who is part of the union (and 10 pages with signatures)

I personally think that this constitution has lots of fasinating aspects. Especially the Charter (part II) is for me a creation that will ensure the rights of the citizens of the union in a way never seen before - including equality between man and woman

To quote Article 1-2
The Union's Values
The Union is founded on the values of respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rules of law and respect for human rights, including the right of persons belonging to minorities. These values are common to the Member States in a society in which pluralism, non-distrimination, tolerance, justice, solidarity and equality between woman and men prevail.

But a superstate, it is not! Most power is still decentralised, especially the juridical powers and the Union will still only be able to act if its memberstates act in unison as well
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 02:03:40 PM »

A blue-print might be taking things a little too far...but it certainly establishes the EU as a body indepent of the member states, which is basically the important thing.

It also already has authority over some things the federal American government didn't have in the late 18th century.

I would vote no, if I was allowed. But my government won't dare to. Tongue
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 06:53:34 PM »

I think the idea in its self is intresting but thats it. Europe is made of too many nations with strong national pride and underlying diffrences to ever unite into a super power. The only 2 Europeans to comment on this have said they would vote no. It all looks good on paper but i dont ever see it working in reality, of course Texas is far removed from Europe, thats just my opinion.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 04:03:13 AM »

The question for the referendum has been revealed:

"Should the United Kingdom approve the treaty establishing a constitution for the European Union?"
Jens
Angola

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 04:53:00 AM »

I think the idea in its self is intresting but thats it. Europe is made of too many nations with strong national pride and underlying diffrences to ever unite into a super power. The only 2 Europeans to comment on this have said they would vote no. It all looks good on paper but i dont ever see it working in reality, of course Texas is far removed from Europe, thats just my opinion.
Hey, last time I checked I was European too! (yeah, Danish isn't only a pastry ;-) it's also a nationality)
I think that this constitution looks promising and is going to vote yes to it - and opposed to Guzzies little Sweden we are going to have a referendum :-D

Nationality isn't a constant and can change pretty fast. The greastest threats to European coorporation is national chauvinism and corrupt bureaucracy.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 04:57:20 AM »

Hey, last time I checked I was European too! (yeah, Danish isn't only a pastry ;-) it's also a nationality)
I think that this constitution looks promising and is going to vote yes to it - and opposed to Guzzies little Sweden we are going to have a referendum :-D

Nationality isn't a constant and can change pretty fast. The greastest threats to European coorporation is national chauvinism and corrupt bureaucracy.

Au contraire, national chauvinism is the the only thing protecting us from becomign total slaves to that corrupt bureocracy.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »

Au contraire, national chauvinism is the the only thing protecting us from becomign total slaves to that corrupt bureocracy.
I disgree, not very suprisingly. effecient coorporation is offen stalled by misunderstood national pride, like Denmark still supporting aid to farmers because nobody aparantly has discovered that our state budget doesn't collaps if the bacon export fails. The Spanish fight against fishing quotas is the same kind of issue
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 07:07:35 AM »

We are too. :-). But it is not a binding referendum, it is only an advice to parliament. I do like the new constitution, it will make the EU slightly more efficient.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 10:05:57 AM »

We are too. :-). But it is not a binding referendum, it is only an advice to parliament. I do like the new constitution, it will make the EU slightly more efficient.

If it's already badm I imagine what wil happen when it's more efficient.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 12:47:43 PM »

Red avitar = change in philosophy or change of scenery?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 01:14:48 PM »

Red avitar = change in philosophy or change of scenery?

Notice the last image of my sig.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies