Which Austrian state would you prefer to live in ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:57:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which Austrian state would you prefer to live in ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Out of the 9:
Burgenland

Carinthia/Kärnten

Lower Austria/Niederösterreich

Upper Austria/Oberösterreich

Salzburg

Styria/Steiermark

Tyrol/Tirol

Vorarlberg

Vienna/Wien

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Which Austrian state would you prefer to live in ?  (Read 2965 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »

Vorarlberg because the Bodensee is amazing.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »

But of course, if hipster Christians exist anywhere in Austria, it'd be Vienna.

How do you define hipster Christians ? Because there are almost no practising Christians anymore in Austria between the ages of 15 and 40, only Christians on paper.

Well that means being Christian is not mainstream....but as I said if there are any, they'd be in Vienna. I'm not sure if there are any hipster churches outside the US, Canada and Australia, hence why I've been joking with oakvale in IRC that if he moves to Canada I'm going to visit and convert him.

Do you mean activist Christians as hipster ? Like those people similar to BushieOK that are flying to Kenya or other African countries to build houses or adopt children from there because they think they can make the world better because of this ? Yeah, you will probably find a very small amount of these people in Vienna or other bigger cities, whereas you go into some random church in rural Austria and 95% of the people who are in there are 60 or older, with the other 5% being underage altar boys/girls, kneeling to the feet of the priest.
I am surprised of this. I saw a poll a couple of years ago where Austria with 83% scored the second highest in Europe for people who believe in God. Poland was of course no. 1 with 95%. So I actually thought Austria was one of the few places in Europe where Christianity was still strong.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »

I've only been to Innsbruck- which was lovely. I plan to hit Salzburg and Vienna on this upcoming trip so I will see but based on what I have read... Salzburg
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »

At first glance Upper Austria seems rather attractive to me, I think.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »

I suspect that my kind wouldn't be particularly welcome anywhere.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 12:24:54 AM »

But of course, if hipster Christians exist anywhere in Austria, it'd be Vienna.

How do you define hipster Christians ? Because there are almost no practising Christians anymore in Austria between the ages of 15 and 40, only Christians on paper.

Well that means being Christian is not mainstream....but as I said if there are any, they'd be in Vienna. I'm not sure if there are any hipster churches outside the US, Canada and Australia, hence why I've been joking with oakvale in IRC that if he moves to Canada I'm going to visit and convert him.

Do you mean activist Christians as hipster ? Like those people similar to BushieOK that are flying to Kenya or other African countries to build houses or adopt children from there because they think they can make the world better because of this ? Yeah, you will probably find a very small amount of these people in Vienna or other bigger cities, whereas you go into some random church in rural Austria and 95% of the people who are in there are 60 or older, with the other 5% being underage altar boys/girls, kneeling to the feet of the priest.
I am surprised of this. I saw a poll a couple of years ago where Austria with 83% scored the second highest in Europe for people who believe in God. Poland was of course no. 1 with 95%. So I actually thought Austria was one of the few places in Europe where Christianity was still strong.

Here is the most recent survey, the Easter survey from Market/Standard, about what Austrians believe and what they are not believing:

Only 17% say that "there is no God". Which means 83% say there is one. Out of these, 12% say there is more than 1 God.

The print edition of "derStandard", which I subscribe to, says though that among those who are under the age of 30, four in ten say "there is no God".

And there is a big disconnect between "belief in God" and "going to Church", because of the recent abuse scandals in the Catholic Church. So while the Olds are still loyal to the Catholic Church no matter what happens, the younger "Christians on paper" may still believe in a God but won't go to a church service anymore.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:27 AM »

I suspect that my kind wouldn't be particularly welcome anywhere.

That's not true. If you work hard and adopt some Austrian lifestyle and engage in some social activities like joining the Red Cross, Firebrigade etc., foreigners or people of foreign origin are pretty welcome in Austria. See David Alaba and his family. David Alaba has a Nigerian father who is a musician and a Philippine mother who is a nurse. David Alaba himself is a famous soccer player with Bayern Munich, which will play Real Madrid on Tuesday in the Champions League. David Alaba's sister came very far in Austria's "POPSTARS" series, which was about creating a band. David Alaba was also Austrian "Sportsman of the Year 2011" and is very liked accross the country. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the Austrians who applaud wildly for him when he scores a goal for the National Football Team are making their cross @ the FPÖ in an election ... Tongue It's just that Austrians don't like criminal foreigners or foreigners they perceive as exploiting our social welfare system. If they think this is the case, they favor that these people are sent into the next plane that brings them back where they came from instead of crowding our prisons.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 03:49:35 AM »

Ah, but is he a Muslim?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 03:57:45 AM »

No, a Christian:

http://www.jesus.ch/themen/people/portraits/212524-meine_kraft_liegt_in_jesus.html

But some of the Austrian football players with Turkish origin are probably Muslim, or Atheists, like my Turkish friend I went to highschool with.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 04:20:36 AM »

Just looked up the numbers:

On Jan. 1, 2011 there have been exactly 2373 people who were born in Bangladesh in Austria.

2019 of them live in Vienna. Only 7 of them are living in Carinthia.

http://www.statistik.at/web_de/statistiken/bevoelkerung/bevoelkerungsstruktur/bevoelkerung_nach_staatsangehoerigkeit_geburtsland/023841.html

Out of these 2373 people from Bangladesh, 1557 were non-citizens and 816 are Austrian citizens.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 07:06:06 AM »

I've heard Tyrol is absolutely beautiful. So there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »

The "reasoning" being, of course, that it's almost in Germany. Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies