Which state would you prefer living in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:04:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which state would you prefer living in?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which state would you prefer living in?  (Read 2761 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »

Which state is far less important than where in a state. Just about every state has somewhere worth living. Maybe not Mississippi.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2012, 12:26:41 AM by seatown »

Virginia
North Carolina
Florida
Colorado
Connecticut

And whoever complained about tourists in Colorado, there aren't if you live here. Virtually no one comes to Denver and in the ski resorts, if you're living there, you won't really run into them, there's a class system in the Vail area haha.
The problem is that the most ski towns in Colorado are designed for second homes and tourists rather than locals. Other West coast mountain towns don't suffer as much from the syndrome. In my opinion Colorado has the worst mountain towns. BC, Jackson, Tahoe are all better. Utah also sucks(Park City is the only town).
Here's a map, green is where I like to live, yellow where I would consider living, everywhere else is /facepalm option( most rural areas and most of the south gets an honorary /double facepalm).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 12:58:43 AM »

1- North Carolina
2- Lousiana
3- Arkansas
4- West Virginia
5- Texas
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:02 AM »

I can't understand why anyone would want to live here. There is literally nothing to do. It's like the South of the Northeast.

Uh...I don't know where you live in PA, but where I am there's more to do than I could possibly imagine taking advantage of.

I live in Montgomery County, like 25 minutes outside of Center City.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:03 AM »

1. Maine
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. New Mexico

I do miss Connecticut a lot, but I think it's mostly because all of my family is out there. It costs way too much money to live there. As for my current residence in PA, man.. the more I stay here the more I am really starting to hate this state. Maybe it's the area. I'm in probably one of the most conservative counties in the state, and it's filled with racist hicks.
perdedor

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »

1. California (LA, Santa Monica specifically)
2. Hawaii (obvious reasons)
3. Texas (back to Austin)
4. New York (again, obvious reasons)
5. Louisiana (New Orleans or GTFO)

Honorably Mentions:
6. Pennsylvania (My girlfriend moved to Philly and I'm jonesing Tongue)
7. Oregon (Portland seems neat)
8. Washington (I would like to live somewhere close to Vancouver)
9. Nebraska (Omaha seems like a cool scene).

--no chance in hell states--

46. Utah (apparently, not believing in Joseph Smith and the tenants of Mormonism makes it incredibly difficult to live in any sort of developed area of Utah - so I'm told)
47. Tennessee (not a country music fan and as a Houston native, I would like to see the Tennessee Titans and all of their obnoxious fans quarantined somewhere away from the rest of civilized society)
48. Arizona (I would hate the weather, plus any state that willy nilly legalizes racial profiling is likely heavily infected with whack jobs.
49. Alabama (I've already lived in Montgomery. I've seen enough)
50. Mississippi (I don't think this really needs explained)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »

1. Maine
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. New Mexico

I do miss Connecticut a lot, but I think it's mostly because all of my family is out there. It costs way too much money to live there. As for my current residence in PA, man.. the more I stay here the more I am really starting to hate this state. Maybe it's the area. I'm in probably one of the most conservative counties in the state, and it's filled with racist hicks.
So this bears asking. How does racism exist in place that has exactly 0 black people (PA, outside of the big cities, being as good example as any)? As a parallel, I don't have any particular opinion on, say, the people of Kyrgyzstan because I've never met one.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »

1. Maine
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. New Mexico

So this bears asking. How does racism exist in place that has exactly 0 black people (PA, outside of the big cities, being as good example as any)? As a parallel, I don't have any particular opinion on, say, the people of Kyrgyzstan because I've never met one.

There's a lot of black people where I live (I'm about 25-35 minutes outside of Center City) but I think Andrew lives somewhere out near Pittsburgh. I don't remember exactly where Futtbuck is located Tongue
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »

New York
California
D.C.
Colorado
North Carolina
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2012, 03:42:38 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Top 10

1. Florida (Indian River County only)
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia
4. West Virginia
5. Louisana
6. Alaska
7. Pennsylvania
8. North Carolina
9. Georgia
10. Texas

Bottom 10

41. Wyoming
42. Minnesota
43. Michigan
44. Maine
45. Washington
46. Nevada
47. California
48. Utah
49. New Jersey
50. New York
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »

Top 5:

Oklahoma
New Mexico
Missouri
Kansas
Arizona

Bottom 5:

California
Oregon
Washington
Utah
Maine
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »

Top 5:

Oklahoma
New Mexico
Missouri
Kansas
Arizona

Bottom 5:

California
Oregon
Washington
Utah
Maine

What's so bad about the Pacific NW?  I've lived in north Seattle for 3 years, beautiful state.  You have to ignore the politics there to enjoy it.  Bend OR is great, vacationed at Crater Lake NP last summer, camping, hiking, etc.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:56 AM »

1. Maine
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. New Mexico

There's a lot of black people where I live (I'm about 25-35 minutes outside of Center City) but I think Andrew lives somewhere out near Pittsburgh. I don't remember exactly where Futtbuck is located Tongue

Noo, I live in Tioga County, I'm the North Central part. I kid you not, a house down the street from me has a giant swastika on it. I talked to authorities about it, and they said "It isn't hurting anyone". BTW, it is confirmed that the guy is a skinhead too. While at a bar last week, I heard someone use the words "chinaman" and "tar baby" in the same sentence.  A lot o the people around here are horrible, wretched creatures, and I'm excited to move away from here.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 07:29:36 AM »

Oregon and Washington would be in there, and probably Maine and, if I had plenty of cash, Hawaii. Fifth either Illinois (for Chicago) or New York state. I could also find ways to enjoy another 10 states or so.

In Australia, the order would probably be VIC/ACT/TAS/WA/QLD/NSW/SA/NT.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »

Noo, I live in Tioga County, I'm the North Central part. I kid you not, a house down the street from me has a giant swastika on it. I talked to authorities about it, and they said "It isn't hurting anyone". BTW, it is confirmed that the guy is a skinhead too. While at a bar last week, I heard someone use the words "chinaman" and "tar baby" in the same sentence.  A lot o the people around here are horrible, wretched creatures, and I'm excited to move away from here.

Ouuuuuuuuuuch. That's pretty backward. Well, especially at my High School, the n-word floats around olot--but it's the black kids saying it. There's also been at least 5 or 6 fights this year--and 1 was over a pair of headphones.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »

Sheesh, I never can answer these non-jokingly since EVERY American state clearly has livable and utterly unlivable parts; and the joke answers don't come as easily for somewhere that far away either.
Uh... Texas has weather I like (long hot summers, cold winters), big cities, and an ocean. I guess that makes a reasonable number one, despite the obvious issues.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies