Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 10:43:35 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  So what went wrong with Santorum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: So what went wrong with Santorum?  (Read 1914 times)
IDS Ex-Speaker Ben Kenobi
Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 09:04:33 am »
Ignore

So nothing went "wrong" with him, his success itself was the fluke.

So Ted Kennedy's campaign was a fluke too?

"By not voting, you would let someone win who wants to destroy the regions, raise taxes, remove guns from the street, nationalize transit, expand abortion coverage, a gut the military." - Hagrid
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 01:31:54 pm »
Ignore

Nothing went wrong. Actually a lot went right, which is why he was as successful as he was.

A lot went right, but there was a problem with his strategy.  Santorum could have been successful with a string of early primary wins.  He failed when he could not win in NH, SC or FL.  Even a close second could have done it.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
Ignore

Well, as Wolf Blitzer said on Piers Morgan Tuesday night
because just one of them at a time isn't painful enough.

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 03:31:24 pm »
Ignore

He was never supposed to be a serious candidate anyway. He just got lucky with the way the flavor of the week pattern was going and that so many were so anti-Romney. So nothing went "wrong" with him, his success itself was the fluke.
The important part is that a majority of Republicans consistently refused to support Romney, even if it meant running from one joke candidate to the next. He can't rally his party, much less the nation.

I was naturally suited to be a lawyer, almost from birth. It was as if, almost, God had willed it. He meant for me to be here, to punish you, and then punish you some more.
I refuse to die a martyrs death here, because you know why?  Martyrs are still dead.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »
Ignore

I have to say, it was when Santorum focused on contraception and started talking about social issues

I await O+15 vs Romney.  

The GOP always loses when they nominate a moderate. Always.

Congrats to four more years of Obama.
Romney will at least lose narrowly. He might even have a shot at winning if Obama makes a major gaffe or if the economy slows. Santorum would get blown out and lose in a 35-state landslide.

Nothing went wrong. Actually a lot went right, which is why he was as successful as he was.

Basically, his success was a fluke caused by every other anti-Romney flaming out. Nothing went "wrong" for Santorum, except that he didn't have enough money, and thus wasn't able to build up enough organization. All things considered, he ran a very good campaign with the limited resources at his disposal. That he was able to keep this thing going for as long as he did shows that he's a better politician than most of us (myself included) thought the was. Of course, the base's dissatisfaction with Romney was the major factor.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:46:12 pm by Stranger in a strange land »Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout