I am so proud.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:48:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  I am so proud.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I am so proud.  (Read 2326 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »

Today, Senator Santorum ended his bid for the Presidency of the United States. It marks the end of a campaign but not the end of a cause. After winning eleven states and 3,210,243 votes, it's fair to say that the Santorum campaign, fueled by less money, a less organized structure and saddled with the label of being a seventeen point loser in a re-election battle, shocked the political world.

A few months ago, the whispers began that Iowa might deliver an upset. One of the candidates that received little to no attention throughout 2011 was surging. After Iowa voted, the story was that the underdog fell short by the closest of margins: just eight votes. After that, New Hampshire had its say and the upstart candidate was out of the picture once again. The anointed frontrunner was on course for a 3 for 3 sweep. He had the money, he had the organization and he had the narrative...until word came that he actually didn't win Iowa. And then came February 7th, perhaps the most exciting night of this season. In a true shocker, that defeated Senator took Missouri, Minnesota and Colorado - thought to be safely in Mitt's corner - almost out of no where. It was truly remarkable. It opened a conversation in my party. It halted talk about anyone being coronated after only a few states had voted. It forced the frontrunner to play defense in states he never imagined he'd have to defend. It gave us a choice and gave an underdog a voice that very few ever thought he'd have in this race.

This isn't how I and many others wanted the primary campaign to end. But at the same time, while feeling angry that my choice won't be the party's nominee and someone that I truly dislike will be our standard bearer, I can also say that I'm incredibly proud. I had faith in my candidate when almost no one did. I dealt with plenty of mocking throughout this campaign especially early on but that didn't bother me. It comes with the territory.  Wink But even though I had that faith and believed that Santorum was a dark horse that deserved way more credit and attention, I have to admit that Rick went further than I ever imagined was likely. Back in January, I posted a thread about how happy I was to be able to see a primary map that would have at least one other color; one other state that wouldn't have voted for Romney. We see way more than just one state now, my friends. Regardless of how you personally feel about the guy's beliefs or attitude, I think this is something we can all applaud.

The 2006 primary was the first time I was eligible to vote. The primary was a week after my 18th birthday and I was on the ballot for committeeman. While I tell this story now mostly for the laughs, I'll mention it this time because it actually means something: before I voted for myself, I voted for Rick. That was my first vote ever. I was proud of it. I was proud to vote for him again in the General. Now, despite not contesting the state's primary, I get to cast a vote for him one more time: for President. Few people get to say that they got to vote for their political hero for President. I'll be one of the few.

I could use this thread to go on a rant about mistakes that were made during the campaign or blast tactics of other candidates but this is a time to reflect on the good. It's a time to reflect on how it's still possible to defy the odds. Rick was the last legitimate contender standing. That is remarkable. We might not have gone the distance but this primary season has proven that we are not a footnote. We are the Republican Party.

Congrats, Rick.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »

I have to give this to Santorum: he ran an incredible campaign.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »

Sorry, Phil.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »

retromike22
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

I think the one good thing for Santorum is that he looks like the "next in line" for 2016.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »

Congratulations to Phil and Santorum- it was an improbable and amazing dark horse campaign... gave me hope in our political system again to see a good man with no money or organization go head to head with a behemoth
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »

I think the one good thing for Santorum is that he looks like the "next in line" for 2016.

Given the direction the country is headed, he will be more out of place come 2016. I am however thankful for Santorum who in going on a glorious right wing social rhetoric tangent forced Romney to follow suit making him all the less electable in the battle with Obama.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »

He lost the respect of the jmfcsts while he was in the Senate...thus he did not have the support of the jmfcsts in 2012...nor will he have the support of the jmfcsts in 2016...

...other than that, he's ok.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

Romney has trudged through Santorum and made it to the nomination. But can he win?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »

Santorum isnt next in line. It will be a Paul ally,
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »

Santorum isnt next in line. It will be a Paul ally,
First, no.

Secondly, as much I dislike Santorum I have to agree. He did run a pretty damn awesome campaign. Kudos to him.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »

No one is "next in line" yet. Assuming a re-elected Obama (or a retiring Romney), there'll be a deluge of 2009/2010 class candidates competing.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »

Santorum was a great campaigner and loyal to his (for me, crazy) principles. He has all my respect.
America First
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.29, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »

You should be proud.  Your candidate sucked and he gained enough common sense to drop out.  Great work!
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »

I still don't know how the guy managed to convert one good day (February 7) into a campaign with a fighting chance for the nomination, but props.

I remember I pointedly left Santorum (and Gingrich, for that matter ><) off my series of polls on who would run for President in 2012.  Shows what I know.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

It was an incredible campaign. The guy is a very talented politician. Of course, given his views, he'd be a much better fit for an Iranian election - it does hurt that US isn't a theocracy. But talent is talent - and it has to be acknowledged.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 06:48:09 PM »

I'll give him this, he was definately the best debater of the entire field. He came off really genuine and unafraid when going against Newt or Mitt.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »

Awesome post Phil! Smiley

G-d bless Rick Santorum Smiley
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »

I'm proud of the campaign Rick ran, as I'm sure Phil certainly is. Most of us thought he was just a flavor of the week right before Iowa, but he certainly stuck it in, and proved us wrong by winning quite a bit and apparently being the only one able to give Romney a run for the money. If Rick had the money that Mitt had, this would have been a different race.

For this, I think Rich ran one hell of a campaign, and all of his supporters should be proud.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »

Rick Santorum is a polarizing figure. Here in Canada, he's a nutjob.

But he made a really respectable decision today that earns him a ton of points. He knew not to be selfish. He knew he had to put the Republican party first. He knew he didn't want to weaken Romney more than he had to. And I commend him for that.

It's sure been an interesting last few months.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »

He ran an impressive campaign.
Though personally I find many of his policy stances and a good amount of his rhetoric to be repulsive, so I can't say I'll miss his absence from the national stage. And yes I do believe that he will likely fade into obscurity, this was his election cycle to make a run for it, and (barring a major cabinet appointment) by 2016 a much more charismatic group of republicans will be making a run for it and I don't see how Rick will be able to carve a spot for himself.

Then again I didn't anticipate his resurgence this year so what do I know?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »

His success really doesn't show anything besides how unhappy so many were with Romney, which is not a good omen.

But regardless, I suppose credit is where credit is due. Not many people expected him to win one state, much less 11. And now I have to deal with the fact that I live in a county that did in some way vote for Santorum Sad (though of course MN-05 still voted for Paul Smiley )
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »

Rick Santorum had a fighting chance at the nomination? When?
billbillerson
Eversole
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »

never. not for a moment.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:26 PM »

never. not for a moment.

lolz Rick Santorum. I LOL'd about him before he was in the race and I'm still LOLing now that he's out of the race. What a joke.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies