Did George Zimmerman vote for Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:07:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Did George Zimmerman vote for Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Did George Zimmerman vote for Obama?
Yes

No

No, he did not vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Did George Zimmerman vote for Obama?  (Read 18925 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 10:25:52 PM »

What's the evidence that he "obviously hates blacks"?  This might be the most ignorant post I've seen on this forum in a long time.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 12:16:30 AM »

What ag said basically. If I called 911 on every "suspicious" person in my neighborhood, using J. J.'s definition, I'd be calling 911 more than any other number and basically every day. I think Minneapolis 911 would also prefer to only get calls from real emergencies and am happy I'm not clogging up their phone lines every single time I see someone behind a building who is a stranger I don't recognize. I'd be calling 911 every single day if I did so.

And mind you even if something is a legitimate reason to call 911 it is not a legitimate reason to go after that person directly in complete violation of the 911 operator's instructions.

What's the evidence that he "obviously hates blacks"?  This might be the most ignorant post I've seen on this forum in a long time.

Let's see he gunned down an unarmed black while muttering "f**king c**ns"?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »

If I supported the death penalty (which I'd don't), I'd support it for Zimmerman.

Nice way of campaigning for Zimmerman to get the death penalty while maintaining the pretext of opposing it. If you really oppose the death penalty, don't make these sorts of comments. You would be campaigning for Zimmerman not to get the death penalty. You would be saying he deserves to live. And this doesn't just go for Zimmerman, it goes for every time we have a high profile killer.

In Cleveland we recently had the trial of Anthony Sowell, who raped, tortured, and murdered at least 13 women and buried their bodies in his basement and back yard. He was unsurprisingly given the death penalty since his crimes were so heinous. Yet, a lot of people who normally oppose the death penalty weren't exactly rushing to stop Sowell from getting it. But cases like his show true meaning of opposing capital punishment, opposing it for someone who has done something truly horrible or who society really hates. That's the entire point.

If I supported the death penalty (which I'd don't), I'd support it for Zimmerman.
I didn't think BRTD was a HP. Is this the person you would really make the exception for(hint: there are people that have comitted much worse crimes than Zimmerman). I don't think manslaughter gets you over 20 years in any state, even if it's racially motivated. Because Zimmerman has pre-meditated his murder, right? I think it's more of a case shoot first, ask questions later.

I never said he should be the exception. What I think is hypocritical that TJ touched on and I'm sure would agree is like in Connecticut where they delayed repealing the death penalty so they could sentence it to that home invasion guy, and then repeal it afterwards without it being retroactive. Indeed that is inane though better than not repealing it at all. But if Zimmerman was on death row and I was a Florida legislator (obviously this is an impossible scenario) and there was a vote on repealing the death penalty like Illinois (also emptying out the death row), I would vote for repeal.

But if I did support the death penalty, I probably would for him. Obviously I would for the worse killers too. But as I don't and would vote against any type of instating the death penalty in my state, it's all moot.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 12:47:02 AM »

What ag said basically. If I called 911 on every "suspicious" person in my neighborhood, using J. J.'s definition, I'd be calling 911 more than any other number and basically every day. I think Minneapolis 911 would also prefer to only get calls from real emergencies and am happy I'm not clogging up their phone lines every single time I see someone behind a building who is a stranger I don't recognize. I'd be calling 911 every single day if I did so.

And mind you even if something is a legitimate reason to call 911 it is not a legitimate reason to go after that person directly in complete violation of the 911 operator's instructions.

Let me understand this.  You don't think that a stranger, at night, walking in a residential area, presumably in an area behind buildings, not where foot traffic normally is, shouldn't be reported to the police by someone on town watch? Roll Eyes

WOW! 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »

Nice way of campaigning for Zimmerman to get the death penalty while maintaining the pretext of opposing it. If you really oppose the death penalty, don't make these sorts of comments. You would be campaigning for Zimmerman not to get the death penalty. You would be saying he deserves to live. And this doesn't just go for Zimmerman, it goes for every time we have a high profile killer.

In Cleveland we recently had the trial of Anthony Sowell, who raped, tortured, and murdered at least 13 women and buried their bodies in his basement and back yard. He was unsurprisingly given the death penalty since his crimes were so heinous. Yet, a lot of people who normally oppose the death penalty weren't exactly rushing to stop Sowell from getting it. But cases like his show true meaning of opposing capital punishment, opposing it for someone who has done something truly horrible or who society really hates. That's the entire point.

I didn't think BRTD was a HP. Is this the person you would really make the exception for(hint: there are people that have comitted much worse crimes than Zimmerman). I don't think manslaughter gets you over 20 years in any state, even if it's racially motivated. Because Zimmerman has pre-meditated his murder, right? I think it's more of a case shoot first, ask questions later.

I never said he should be the exception. What I think is hypocritical that TJ touched on and I'm sure would agree is like in Connecticut where they delayed repealing the death penalty so they could sentence it to that home invasion guy, and then repeal it afterwards without it being retroactive. Indeed that is inane though better than not repealing it at all. But if Zimmerman was on death row and I was a Florida legislator (obviously this is an impossible scenario) and there was a vote on repealing the death penalty like Illinois (also emptying out the death row), I would vote for repeal.

But if I did support the death penalty, I probably would for him. Obviously I would for the worse killers too. But as I don't and would vote against any type of instating the death penalty in my state, it's all moot.
Well the way I read it is that you support for him and nobody else. Which is quite terrible. Your explanation is quite long-winded and not something i would have inferred(I really didn't even think of CT situation).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »

Let me understand this.  You don't think that a stranger, at night, walking in a residential area, presumably in an area behind buildings, not where foot traffic normally is, shouldn't be reported to the police by someone on town watch? Roll Eyes

WOW! 

You seriously think I should report to the police every single person I see in the back alleys in my neighborhood?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »

WOW! 

You seriously think I should report to the police every single person I see in the back alleys in my neighborhood?

The two of you seriously think that you will get anywhere by asking each other these inane questions?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 02:17:51 AM »

WOW! 

If you live in gated community, this guy is in an area where there is not a lot of foot traffic, it's at night, and he is a stranger, HELL YES!  You can add that they had a rash of break-ins as well.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 02:45:08 AM »

Ok, I'll try and help here. This obviously depends on the area you're talking about.

My parents live in a suburb, pretty far outside of the city. There is nothing to see or visit there, just residential houses where families and old couples live.

If you see a stranger walking around there you'll be suspicious. My mother often is. Which is natural. There is no reason why anyone would be walking around there if they don't live there (or is visiting someone). And it is fairly common with break-ins and such things there. I imagine this is even more pronounced in the US with high crime rates, etc.

Me on the other hand, I live in in the city centre. Here weird people are walking around everywhere all the time, there are parties, bars, etc. I once came out of my room to find a drug addict staring into our hallway mirror. (not sure which way that example cuts though, come to think of it)

It obviously makes no sense for me to report someone wandering around here.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 02:52:16 AM »

Let's see he gunned down an unarmed black while muttering "f**king c**ns"?

Or he said "f**king cold".  Or perhaps he said something else.  Anybody who claims they know what he said is quite honestly lying... having listened to the audio, you can't tell me definitively what he said.

Let the evidence play out in court before you start throwing around ignorant claims that he "obviously hates blacks".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 02:54:06 AM »

Even more relevant is that even if Trayvon was acting suspiciously in the eyes of Zimmerman, he should have reported it like he did and called it a night. By stalking him, he undoubtedly made the situation worse.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 03:23:13 AM »

Ok, I'll try and help here. This obviously depends on the area you're talking about.

My parents live in a suburb, pretty far outside of the city. There is nothing to see or visit there, just residential houses where families and old couples live.

If you see a stranger walking around there you'll be suspicious. My mother often is. Which is natural. There is no reason why anyone would be walking around there if they don't live there (or is visiting someone). And it is fairly common with break-ins and such things there. I imagine this is even more pronounced in the US with high crime rates, etc.

Me on the other hand, I live in in the city centre. Here weird people are walking around everywhere all the time, there are parties, bars, etc. I once came out of my room to find a drug addict staring into our hallway mirror. (not sure which way that example cuts though, come to think of it)

It obviously makes no sense for me to report someone wandering around here.
Sometimes late at night I want to get out and take a walk and so I drive to a safer suburban neighborhood. Does that make me suspicious?
Or maybe I'm okay because I'm white, physically unimpressive, and I don't wear a hoodie?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »

A good portion of what makes the US a relatively unappealing place to live (in certain respects, at least) is this constant state of fear towards "strangers". It's especially visible among parents and the way they react, you know - having even 16 year olds "check in" every so often - you rarely see children or even younger teenagers using public transport (where it exists) alone.

There's this constant obsession with "being safe". Yes, of course it's preferable to be safe, and everything I described here is probably reasonable in some (urban) areas, but especially suburbian families are frightened to death often in areas that aren't at all dangerous.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:54 AM »

My mom once freaked out when she found out that I was coming home from school this way instead of this way. I don't get it, either. Obviously, I ignored her objections.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »

He seems like a non-voter.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 07:12:56 AM »

You obviously led a sheltered life.

Someone at night, walking around a neighborhood, that doesn't seem to be looking for a house or walking through, and who doesn't live there, is suspicious.  It doesn't mean the person is doing anything wrong, but it is suspicious.

That's a pretty hilarious thing for someone who hasn't led a sheltered life to be saying, brother.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:52 AM »

People don't walk around recreationally where you guys live? I walk around my neighborhood all the time. Frequently after dark. Going nowhere in particular.  Sometimes it's just nice to go for a walk. Plenty of people do it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »

People generally don't walk around in gated communities at night when they don't live there.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »

People don't walk around recreationally where you guys live? I walk around my neighborhood all the time. Frequently after dark. Going nowhere in particular.  Sometimes it's just nice to go for a walk. Plenty of people do it.

People generally don't walk around in gated communities at night when they don't live there.

This sums it up nicely. 

I do walk for pleasure, in my own area, or perhaps in a park.  I generally walk where other people walk, paths, sidewalks.  Occasionally, I walk in the early evening, but generally it is in an area where most people would walk.  I even wear hoodies.

If someone would walk, wearing a hoodie, down the front of my street at 10:00 PM, that wouldn't be suspicious in the least.  I probably see would see someone walking down that street every night.

If I see someone walking behind my house, where most people don't walk, at 10:00 PM, where it is dark, I'd find that suspicious, even though, you could get to that area from the street.  And yes, I'd call 911 and report a prowler.  It would make no difference what he's wearing or his race, and I probably couldn't tell.

I'm not seeing anyone, especially someone on town watch, seeing something like that and saying, "This is unusual.  I'm going to tell the police."  It becomes more unusual when the person isn't a resident, the community is gated, and there were a rash of break-ins in the neighborhood. 

Now, if Zimmerman was told to stop following him, and he didn't that is a different issue.  Since he called using a cell phone, there should be a record of where the call was placed.  Was he told to stop and the shooting occurred 4 blocks away?  Was it roughly the same place where the call came from?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

I'm going to work now, my car is parked about a block behind my apartment. I should check out the alleyways walking back there and seeing if there's anyone I don't recognize. OMG maybe I should call 911 if that's the case!

BRTD: 911?
911 operator: Yes
BRTD: You need to send police out here, there's a lot of people in my neighborhood I don't recognize! And OMG they're in BACKALLEYS!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »

Is Jay Jay still wheeling out his hard man act?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »

I like that BRTD won't even address my response to his claims...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 12:46:45 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2012, 12:50:59 PM by ag »

Well, I get it. From now on I will definitely feel safer in the back alleys of Harlem, then in regular US suburbia. I should insist on my unfortunate relatives, who happen to live in the suburbs, to always pick me up and drive me straight to their garage - or else, I am a legitimate target for being shot. How the hell I survived on Long Island without a car for 4 years as a teenager still beats me, though - whenever I got off the university campus I should have been killed. Then, of course, NY does have some restrictive gun laws - probably, I owe my life to that. One more reason to advocate gun control!

And, yes, I do have a habit of walking where few others do - those 4 years on Long Island have taught me not to pay attention to where the others walk (otherwise, I'd never have gotten to a supermarket).

Naturally, a kid from an area where you can't be killed for walking around - where people don't think walking is a crime - got confused about those Southern suburban mores. And, of course, we know it all too well from history: if you misbehave against the Southern mores, you are lynched.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »

This is why you shouldn't go trick or treating.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »

Even if I accepted JJ's point (which I don't), I'm failing to make the logical leap from it being reasonable to call the police to it being reasonable to stalk and murder an unarmed teenager. Huh
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies