Why did Max Sandlin perform so poorly in 2004?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:09:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why did Max Sandlin perform so poorly in 2004?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Max Sandlin perform so poorly in 2004?  (Read 879 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Sandlin was, I think, the most tragic casualty of the DeLaymander. Sure, the additions of Longview and Tyler made him the underdog; still, both those cities had been sending Ralph Hall (as a Democrat) to Congress for years. I know Gohmert is based in Tyler though, and he got almost 70% in Smith county.

Also, most of the counties along the Louisiana border had that had easily supported Sandlin in past cycles flipped to Gohmert.

What happened? I thought Sandlin sounded much better in the debate. Were Bush's coattails just too strong?

freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Sandlin was, I think, the most tragic casualty of the DeLaymander. Sure, the additions of Longview and Tyler made him the underdog; still, both those cities had been sending Ralph Hall (as a Democrat) to Congress for years. I know Gohmert is based in Tyler though, and he got almost 70% in Smith county.

Also, most of the counties along the Louisiana border had that had easily supported Sandlin in past cycles flipped to Gohmert.

What happened? I thought Sandlin sounded much better in the debate. Were Bush's coattails just too strong?

probably a combination of a bunch of factors. It hurt that the northern counties which were his strongholds were excised. Also, Hall was far more conservative than Sandlin and had the ability to do much better in them than him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »

Because Sandlin would have lost anyway. Most of the others would have gone down then as well, most likely. Or not so very long afterwards. It's hilarious, but that most notorious of gerrymanders turns out to have been something quite close to being a total waste of time.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2012, 07:51:40 PM by Atari Democrat »

correct. Even under the 2002 map, all the targeted democrats would have lost anyways except for Frost. They would have lost in 2010 instead of 2004.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies