another hack "professor" attempts to take down Christianity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:21:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  another hack "professor" attempts to take down Christianity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: another hack "professor" attempts to take down Christianity  (Read 5935 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 11, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2012, 09:21:49 PM by The Mikado »

Tabor is a bit of a hack/crank, and is the leading proponent of the "Pantera" theory that few people have taken seriously for 1800 years or more that Jesus was the illegitimate son of a Roman centurion...there's no evidence for it other than 2nd century CE pagans bashing Jesus as "Yeshua ben Pantera" and such.  That said, I never really saw him as trying to "take down" Christianity, only to deny the Virgin Birth and Resurrection.  He's (almost by definition as a believer in the Pantera theory) a very strong believer in a historical Jesus and a politically and culturally relevant and significant Jesus.

I read one of his books (The Jesus Dynasty) back in...2007?  He argues that the Church was supposed to become a family affair, with power handed down from Jesus to James to Jude and continuing through the Holy Family, but that James' murder and the subsequent destruction of the Jerusalem Church in the sack of Jerusalem ended that.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention.  One of his points in favor of the Pantera argument was literally that Pantera was from Sidon, and Jesus ends up visiting the pagan cities of Tyre and Sidon and says nice things about them and might have secretly been visiting his relatives on his father's side.  It's...pretty ridiculously weak as an argument, IMO.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies