Derbyshire; Primer on how/why whites should eschew blacks gets ass fired by NRO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:29:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derbyshire; Primer on how/why whites should eschew blacks gets ass fired by NRO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Derbyshire; Primer on how/why whites should eschew blacks gets ass fired by NRO  (Read 3611 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »

I was about to say...it's the sort of phrasing someone like Derbyshire would use.  He was frozen in amber in 1860 and awakened a few months ago.

BTW, how does Derbyshire pronounce his name?  I was thinking "DAHR-bih-shur," but I was wondering if he Americanized it into something like "dehr-BEE-SHY-uhr"
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »

Also, I'm aware that not all of you are familiar with Taki, the gentleman whose e-zine published Derbyshire's article. 

Please read this, as an example of Taki's unique viewpoint:

http://takimag.com/article/mussolinis_last_words#axzz1raapXQP9
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

Taki is a name that I have not seen for quite a while. I preferred it that way as well.

I was about to say...it's the sort of phrasing someone like Derbyshire would use.  He was frozen in amber in 1860 and awakened a few months ago.

BTW, how does Derbyshire pronounce his name?  I was thinking "DAHR-bih-shur," but I was wondering if he Americanized it into something like "dehr-BEE-SHY-uhr"

Hopefully Dar-bee-sheer. That would be the funniest.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »

I don't understand how people can take anything way from Derbyshire's writings besides his raging racism towards non-whites and non-whatever-race-his-wife-and-children-are.

I mean, it's completely obvious. He doesn't say "intelligent blacks" or "educated blacks" or "well-socialized (whatever that means) blacks". He just says "blacks". He is literally telling his kids to stay away from any situation or location where blacks have anything but a completely positive and servile reaction to whites. There is no other way you can take his article other than to find out that John Derbyshire is a racist.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 11:59:58 PM »

I just realized that John Derbyshire is the same person who once casually said that women are only very attractive between 15 and 20, and who has publicly fantasized about revoking women's suffrage.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »

Derbyshire makes Charles Murray look intellectual... Seriously, guys, you who live on the other side of the Atlantic but still speak English, where do you find such people?

The weird part is not that they can be found, but that someone wants to find them. Tongue

Oh, In America, I assumed that they can always be found...

There are plenty of such people in Sweden - I've met many. There is just no one who would ever publish them, which was basically my point.

JJ - I'm not actually defending Derbyshire, of course. I just thought it would be an interesting exercise to see if the defence could be constructed. I think it might be possible as long as not too much context is added. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 04:15:38 AM »

Why would he have Americanized his name? He hasn't Americanized his speech.

I've read some racist things by Derbyshire before this, along the lines of emphasizing supposedly genetic differences. However, this is the first article of his I've seen where he explicitly advocated treating black people differently on this basis. Not that I'm surprised he wrote this, but I can see where this caused NR to cut ties with him here where they hadn't before.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 07:57:33 AM »

There is, of course, a lot of truth in this article, but I would have presumed that no one would have been crazy enough to actually publish it.

Which I guess means that I am probably one of "those people" that Gustaf mentions.  Fine.  Smiley (though the Swedish problem invariably involves North African Muslims, and involves quite different concerns)

As one of the few people on this forum who has spent lots of time, and had many associations, within the black community (as I have within the Hispanic communities - or at I least I suspect I'm one of the few on this forum, since most of this forum's denizens tend to be locked into upper-middle class suburbia in the US), most of the things pointed out in this article are things that you just learn from experience (though he misses the most important one - try to get that one out of me). 

Furthermore, there is some statistical validity to this article, but I have long disagreed with Murray that statistics are correlated to behavior.  And this article is almost uniformly about behaviorial tendencies, which in my experience and study, are much more correlated to culture and cultural norms, above all else.  So it is fundamentally incorrect in my view to state that this is statistical common sense (after all, I have always been a follower of Kirkegaard)

It is plainly apparent that there is a huge difference between American slave black culture (the dominant black culture in the US), West Indian black culture and West African black culture (for example).  What the author writes here are attributes almost uniformly associated with American (formerly) slave blacks and their culture, and its self-destructive and violent tendencies.  I could really give a whole long essay on this subject - as it is woefully undeveloped, and has a lot more validity that statistical analysis, as in there are actual solutions to the problem.

To conclude this post, I will mention that one point that I disagree with wholeheartedly in the article, btw, the idea that having black friends innoculates you from charges of racism.  That's hogwash - never works.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »

There is, of course, a lot of truth in this article, but I would have presumed that no one would have been crazy enough to actually publish it.

Which I guess means that I am probably one of "those people" that Gustaf mentions.  Fine.  Smiley (though the Swedish problem invariably involves North African Muslims, and involves quite different concerns)

As one of the few people on this forum who has spent lots of time, and had many associations, within the black community (as I have within the Hispanic communities - or at I least I suspect I'm one of the few on this forum, since most of this forum's denizens tend to be locked into upper-middle class suburbia in the US), most of the things pointed out in this article are things that you just learn from experience (though he misses the most important one - try to get that one out of me). 

Furthermore, there is some statistical validity to this article, but I have long disagreed with Murray that statistics are correlated to behavior.  And this article is almost uniformly about behaviorial tendencies, which in my experience and study, are much more correlated to culture and cultural norms, above all else.  So it is fundamentally incorrect in my view to state that this is statistical common sense (after all, I have always been a follower of Kirkegaard)

It is plainly apparent that there is a huge difference between American slave black culture (the dominant black culture in the US), West Indian black culture and West African black culture (for example).  What the author writes here are attributes almost uniformly associated with American (formerly) slave blacks and their culture, and its self-destructive and violent tendencies.  I could really give a whole long essay on this subject - as it is woefully undeveloped, and has a lot more validity that statistical analysis, as in there are actual solutions to the problem.

To conclude this post, I will mention that one point that I disagree with wholeheartedly in the article, btw, the idea that having black friends innoculates you from charges of racism.  That's hogwash - never works.

Yeah, the people I've come across who would argue in ways similar to Derbyshire would not be talking about Blacks.

It's not true that it would be about North African Muslims either though. Unless you include Somalis in that group, we hardly have any (unlike France). The typical, derogatory shorthand for Muslim immigrants is Turks (among geographical or national ones - there are of course properly racial slurs as well).

Large immigrant groups in Sweden with high crime rates and/or unemployment rates are Turks, Kurds, Iraqis, Serbs, Somalis and Chileans. And Finns, of course. Tongue

The poor Somalis are hated by everyone though, even all those other immigrant groups. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »

Sam Spade has clearly read the Unheavenly City, which I notice Banfield subsequent to my reading it, has "revisited."  Anyway, one of Banfield's claims was that there had been very little upward mobility among blacks who were slaves until the Emancipation Proclamation. I suspect there was more truth to that claim then, than now. Murray I think picked up on the theme when he noted that the top students in some High School in black Miami, all had French names (they were from Haiti).  So as a codicil to Derb's do's and don'ts, if you happen by a "black beach" and you hear Caribbean accents, Derbyshire should be reassured. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 06:19:22 AM »

One thing you have to get used to in Asia - that being racially different from nearly everyone around you is not a reason to be afraid.  That said I'm also afraid when around poor whites in the US.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »

You could easily play the same statistical game and just substitute men for black people. Or 15-30 year olds. Oh, and my city is blacker than yours, so all of you are sheltered and don't know what you're talking about. I could so say much more because the world is terribly in need of my brilliant insight Roll Eyes
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »

Yes, John Derbyshire finally let it all hang out.  His little essay about Bayes meets blacks means whites should not meet blacks, got his ass fired on Saturday by National Review. The editor of National Review, Mr Lowry was concerned that Derbyshire's association with NRO was giving Derbyshire's attitudes about blacks far too much oxygen.

John, you should get out more. I just don't think you could hold those views if you met real people, and made an effort to interact with them on their own terms. You are really missing out.

I feel a very disheartening urge to agree with this.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies