Zimmerman charged with Second Degree Murder
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Zimmerman charged with Second Degree Murder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Zimmerman charged with Second Degree Murder  (Read 4178 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »

A bit surprised...I'd thought they would've gone for Voluntary Manslaughter.

Thoughts?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

Predictions for a verdict?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »

It's still going to make federal hate crime charges harder since he didn't think  "Oooooooh, tonight I'll kill a black kid".
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »

Thoughts?

They may accept a plea for that but charge high, accept lower?  Badger?  Thoughts?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »

Thoughts?

They may accept a plea for that but charge high, accept lower?  Badger?  Thoughts?

Overcharging is common.

I saw a similar case where the DA (guess who) charge Murder 1, Murder 3, and Voluntary Manslaughter.  The first two were dismissed at the preliminary hearing.  He was found not guilty on the third.

Joe Amendola was his lawyer.  Wink
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »

Not guilty from the facts of the case, but he'll probably have crappy legal representation and of course a hostile jury so it's debatable.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:58:43 PM »

Sounds to me like overcharging, hoping he's dumb enough to take Voluntary Man as a plea.  And quiet down the nutjob blacks, though it won't.

Based on the facts, I don't see how you get a verdict for more the Voluntary Man, or if you do, how that verdict is upheld.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »

He will attempt to have the case dismissed under Stand Your Ground.  That will fail.  Then, they will plea bargain for manslaughter.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »

Whatever happens, he will get a chance to have a trial. Trayvon Martin never did.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »

This is very fair. I doubt Angela Corey would have charged without having good reason, she's a tough prosecutor and knows her job. Pulling the race card on either side right now is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure Corey will be enemy number one for the right-wing, because she didn't do what they wanted.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »

Not guilty from the facts of the case, but he'll probably have crappy legal representation and of course a hostile jury so it's debatable.

I wouldn't be ready to say not guilty.  The forensic evidence will be telling.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

We still don't know all the facts of the case, not as well as the people involved. I would not say guilty or not guilty based on public media reports alone. Let the process play out.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »

wat
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2012, 07:45:21 PM by Ogre Mage »

I thought an arrest might be coming down the pipe when I saw this yesterday:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/10/zimmerman-attorneys-to-speak/?hpt=hp_c1

The whole incident just seemed strange, calling a press conference to tell reporters they are no longer representing their client.  I suspect the fact they no longer seemed to know their client's whereabouts was alarming to Angela Corey.

What?  Zimmerman was not in contact with his attorneys but was willing to talk with Faux News?  No comment.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »

I really haven't paid attention to this at all (or at least as much as most people) but people don't actually think he shouldn't be charged, do they? Even if you think he's not guilty, let it go to trial.

On the matter of guilt or innocence, my belief is that the shooting wasn't justified in any manner. Even with a "Stand Your Ground" law, it is my opinion that he declined that right when he started pursuing Martin.

Obviously, no one has all the facts though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »

Thoughts?

As to why not VM, it seemed too "deliberate" in the sense of a rather calm and measured approach to it all by the Z man, assuming there is no evidence of an "unexpected" physical altercation alleged by Zimmerman.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »

Wormyguy's special talent is disagreeing with everything that a majority of people believe.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »

I really haven't paid attention to this at all (or at least as much as most people) but people don't actually think he shouldn't be charged, do they? Even if you think he's not guilty, let it go to trial.

On the matter of guilt or innocence, my belief is that the shooting wasn't justified in any manner. Even with a "Stand Your Ground" law, it is my opinion that he declined that right when he started pursuing Martin.

Obviously, no one has all the facts though.

You have put your finger on a salient point -- the reason this case blew up the way it did was because the shooter was, up till this point, not charged and the local police seemed to just take his statements at face value in spite of the fact there were significant problems with his story.  One would think they would have tried a little harder when there was a dead body of an unarmed teenager.

Faux News and its affiliates, of course, are making a full-blown attempt to stir up white resentment.  I suspect most of them have never had the experience of being accosted by the police or store security "driving while black," "walking while black" or "shopping while black."
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/10/zimmerman-attorneys-to-speak/?hpt=hp_c1

The whole incident just seemed strange, calling a press conference to tell reporters they are no longer representing their client.  I suspect the fact they no longer seemed to know their client's whereabouts was alarming to Angela Corey.

What?  Zimmerman was not in contact with his attorneys but was willing to talk with Faux News?  No comment.
You trying to get a job at NBC?

The very next line says:

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »

I can't believe I didn't think of this before. Here's a somewhat similar situation that happened on Long Island a few years ago, with a black father shooting a white teen in front of his home:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/miller-place-man-who-shot-teen-surrenders-heads-to-jail-1.2086763

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Black-Father-Finally-Jailed-For-Killing-White-Teen-98042434.html

Interesting case to compare and contrast.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »

Thoughts?

As to why not VM, it seemed too "deliberate" in the sense of a rather calm and measured approach to it all by the Z man, assuming there is no evidence of an "unexpected" physical altercation alleged by Zimmerman.

Go re-read the Florida statute, Torie.  By your post, it implies that you haven't.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »

Thoughts?

Some of his story might check out.  911 supposedly asked him for the address and claims he stopped to check the house number.

This one is going to be dependent on forensics, i.e. how far was Martin away from the gun, and what was the angle of the bullet?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »

Thoughts?

Go re-read the Florida statute, Torie.  By your post, it implies that you haven't.  Smiley

I didn't. Does it have a curve ball in it?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »

Thoughts?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0782/0782ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2011&Title=-%3E2011-%3EChapter%20782
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »

Thoughts?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0782/0782ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2011&Title=-%3E2011-%3EChapter%20782

If Zimmerman is telling the truth, I think it would be justifiable under this statute:

782.02 Justifiable use of deadly force.—The use of deadly force is justifiable when a person is resisting any attempt to murder such person or to commit any felony upon him or her or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person shall be.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0782/Sections/0782.02.html
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies