Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 06:21:01 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  what about 10?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what about 10?  (Read 730 times)
v0031
YaBB God
China
View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »
Ignore

One day, the  1  are having a painting lesson(绘画课).Everyone (每人)begins to draw a picture, 2  Tom doesn’t .When the bell rings(铃响)for the break, Tom gives his picture 3  the teacher. The teacher  4  a look at it and becomes angry(生气).“Why do you give me a picture with nothing(没有东西)on, Tom?” asks the teacher. “I’m  5  ,sir. I draw a cat and a fish  6  it .”says Tom.

“Then  7  is the cat and where is the fish?”asks the teacher  8 .“I draw a fish first.When I finish drawing(画完)the cat, it  9  the fish. When I give 10  to you ,the cat runs away.” says Tom.

1 A teachers  B students C doctors

2 A and  B but C after

3 A to B at C in

4 A watches B looks C has

5 A excuse  B sorry  C late

6 A to  B on  C at

7 A what  B who C where

8 A past B to C again

9 A eats  B gives  C takes

10 A it  B they  C them

Most of my posts here are about English exercises I come across in my teaching experience. I find them puzzling so I come here to make sure.
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:06:08 pm »
Ignore

What about you do your own God damned homework and stop clogging up this board with your cheating...

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:07:17 pm »
Ignore

What about you do your own God damned homework and stop clogging up this board with your cheating...

v is a teacher in China, Clarence......calm down

A is the answer, I think

v0031
YaBB God
China
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:13:53 pm »
Ignore

Does it mean the whole picture?

Most of my posts here are about English exercises I come across in my teaching experience. I find them puzzling so I come here to make sure.
Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »
Ignore

How in the world is this his best resource for this stuff?

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »
Ignore

If you want to sound like a native, you need to change all the verb tenses. It should be "One day the students were having a painting lesson. Everyone began to draw a picture...

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:44 pm »
Ignore

If you want to sound like a native, you need to change all the verb tenses. It should be "One day the students were having a painting lesson. Everyone began to draw a picture...

I noticed the same thing. This is something I've noticed with my Chinese colleagues; their English tends to avoid the past tense saying "I draw the cat" instead of "I drew the cat". The first phrase would only apply during the act of drawing before its completion.

The story is one I've read in English before, and it seems like this version has been translated from Chinese into English by a Chinese speaker. As for the question, I would write the sentence with 10 as "When I gave it to you, the cat ran away."

Lunar Eclipse of April 15, 2014 with the star Spica.

If you missed the lunar eclipse on Oct 8, there's a partial eclipse of the Sun on Oct 23 best visible in central and western North America.
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57:34 pm »
Ignore

I noticed the same thing. This is something I've noticed with my Chinese colleagues; their English tends to avoid the past tense saying "I draw the cat" instead of "I drew the cat". The first phrase would only apply during the act of drawing before its completion.

If you want to nitpick, while you're drawing the cat, you would say "I'm drawing the cat." You would only use the plain "I draw the cat" if you're talking about something you do regularly. I draw the cat every Thursday.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:35 am »
Ignore

This is the off-topic board.
v0031
YaBB God
China
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:23 am »
Ignore

I am glad to see all kinds of replies here. Thank you.

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:48:30 am »
Ignore

Wow what a big man you are.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 02:04:03 pm »
Ignore

The story is one I've read in English before, and it seems like this version has been translated from Chinese into English by a Chinese speaker. As for the question, I would write the sentence with 10 as "When I gave it to you, the cat ran away."

I would assume this is a lesson for a lower-level class where they haven't learned conjugation for anything besides the present tense, so the language in the passage is simplified so students aren't faced with too much that they haven't learned yet. I've seen similar things in foreign language classes I've taken.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 04:24:45 pm »
Ignore

I love you (no homo), clarence.

muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:58:45 pm »
Ignore

I would assume this is a lesson for a lower-level class where they haven't learned conjugation for anything besides the present tense, so the language in the passage is simplified so students aren't faced with too much that they haven't learned yet. I've seen similar things in foreign language classes I've taken.

That's possible, but not consistent with my experience. Use of simple present tense instead of past, is something that I hear most frequently with native Chinese speakers. I don't hear that type of change much with native speakers of other European languages, even if their English is weak. I've assumed that it's something intrinsic to the structure of Chinese.

Lunar Eclipse of April 15, 2014 with the star Spica.

If you missed the lunar eclipse on Oct 8, there's a partial eclipse of the Sun on Oct 23 best visible in central and western North America.
Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »
Ignore

Likewise how the cat eats the fish, rather than ate it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout