Clinton vs. Cheney 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:25:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clinton vs. Cheney 1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton vs. Cheney 1996  (Read 6228 times)
GLPman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »

Following his departure as H.W. Bush's Secretary of Defense, Cheney briefly flirted with the idea of running for president in '93-'94. What if Cheney had decided to throw his hat in the ring and ultimately won the GOP nod. How would the election turn out? Any ideas who Cheney would have selected as his running mate?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »

One of the reasons Cheney didin't want to run, according to Bob Woodward, was that a member of his family was gay and he didn't want some huge media expose. As I recall, that family member was actually his daughter. Anyway, I'm wondering how that might affect the election and how Cheney would explain his views on gay rights and the reaction from the Religious Right (Cheney supports gay rights, on marriage at least).
GLPman
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »

One of the reasons Cheney didin't want to run, according to Bob Woodward, was that a member of his family was gay and he didn't want some huge media expose. As I recall, that family member was actually his daughter. Anyway, I'm wondering how that might affect the election and how Cheney would explain his views on gay rights and the reaction from the Religious Right (Cheney supports gay rights, on marriage at least).

Actually, Cheney didn't really become vocal about his support of gay rights until early 2009. Prior to that, he stated he was against gay marriage and thought it was a state's rights issue. Granted, this position is not nearly as conservative as many members of his party, but it's still not a full endorsement of gay rights.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »

Actually, Cheney didn't really become vocal about his support of gay rights until early 2009. Prior to that, he stated he was against gay marriage and thought it was a state's rights issue. Granted, this position is not nearly as conservative as many members of his party, but it's still not a full endorsement of gay rights.

Well in '09, Cheney was no longer involved in electoral politics either. Wink
GLPman
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »

Well in '09, Cheney was no longer involved in electoral politics either. Wink

Exactly my point -- any political opinions on the subject expressed by Cheney during his time as VP would most likely reflect those he would've expressed if he had mounted a run for the presidency in '96.
Tutankhuman Bakari Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »

GLPman
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

Yeah, this is probably what I would've guessed, too. Clinton wins with 340 to Cheney's 198. Any guess as to who Cheney's running mate would've been?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »

Cheney would not have done better then Dole... sure Dole was tainted by Gingrich but was more personally popular then Cheney would have been
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »

A Cheney Presidency would be quite interesting.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »

I think you've had enough Cathcon.  Throw me your car keys and let me have a hit of whatever you're on.  Wink
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »

I think you've had enough Cathcon.  Throw me your car keys and let me have a hit of whatever you're on.  Wink
Interesting =/= good. I agree with Cathcon.
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »

Why would Cheney do any better than Dole in the South/border states?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2012, 08:55:08 PM by politicus »

Clinton won Louisiana with 12% and Missouri with 6% over Dole. Why would he loose those to Cheney? He also won Arizona, Kentucky and Tennesee.
Plus Dole won Colorado - which Cheney from neighbouring Wyoming suddenly loses in your scenario. Swapping AZ and CO is not realistic and at least Louisiana would go Clinton. The border states too IMO.
Actually Cheney would probably do slighly worse than Dole in the South. Dole was a war hero after all.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »

Interesting =/= good. I agree with Cathcon.

Whoops misread that.  Sorry about that Shocked
Tutankhuman Bakari Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 09:21:09 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2012, 11:12:17 AM by OC »

Had it not been for Perot KY would have went to Dole.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »

Florida too
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies