Two wacky unrealistic timelines - which one should I post?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:48:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Two wacky unrealistic timelines - which one should I post?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two wacky unrealistic timelines - which one should I post?  (Read 994 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2005, 05:30:24 PM »

I've been bottling two absurd ATLs for a while.  I figured I want to air one out for public scorn now. Which one sounds good?

1. Alien Space Bat burrows into J. Edgar Hoover's brain in 1947, causing him to produce some pretty odd changes in the timeline. Examples include President Henry Wallace, two Sino-Soviet Wars (the second one goes nuclear), a Second American Civil War, and Strom Thurmond as a leader in the Civil Rights movement. Yes, and Dukakis looks much more comfortable in a tank than otl, and George W. Bush never makes in in the political field, though his brother (not OTL's Jeb, who is butterflied away) becomes Secretary of Education. Bill Clinton dies young, Rush Limbaugh goes into politics, and Mao Zedong rules over a damned huge empire (err... people's republic).

2. I'm not going to reveal too many details on this one, i plan on doing it asswise and going backwards from the present to the POD. Here's a few hints:
1. The US is set on a libertarian/populist division.
2. Alan Greenspan is, at one point, President of the United States.
3. The income tax is abolished.
4. Most OTL Canadians probably would hate the current alt-PM if they knew who the heck he was (his initials are L.P.). He is considered a radical 'conservative' - although his views would make him unwelcome in OTL's Republican Party, and he nominally supported Kerry. Likewise, Nelson Rockefeller's replacement as Governor of New York (a Republican - who is actually older than Rockefeller - defeats him in the primaries sometime in the early-mid 70's, during a major ideological re-alignment)  would probably engender much hatred from both sides of the spectrum. 
5. Ronald Reagan is, if anything, even more beloved than in OTL among conservatives, even though he never gets to be President.

Connect the dots!
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »

I'd love to see timeline 2. They both sound interesting though.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 05:34:10 PM »

the 2nd on but they both are good...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:36:01 PM »

Timeline 2, but do timeline 1 after. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 05:36:14 PM »

I've been bottling two absurd ATLs for a while.  I figured I want to air one out for public scorn now. Which one sounds good?

1. Alien Space Bat burrows into J. Edgar Hoover's brain in 1947, causing him to produce some pretty odd changes in the timeline. Examples include President Henry Wallace, two Sino-Soviet Wars (the second one goes nuclear), a Second American Civil War, and Strom Thurmond as a leader in the Civil Rights movement. Yes, and Dukakis looks much more comfortable in a tank than otl, and George W. Bush never makes in in the political field, though his brother (not OTL's Jeb, who is butterflied away) becomes Secretary of Education. Bill Clinton dies young, Rush Limbaugh goes into politics, and Mao Zedong rules over a damned huge empire (err... people's republic).

2. I'm not going to reveal too many details on this one, i plan on doing it asswise and going backwards from the present to the POD. Here's a few hints:
1. The US is set on a libertarian/populist division.
2. Alan Greenspan is, at one point, President of the United States.
3. The income tax is abolished.
4. Most OTL Canadians probably would hate the current alt-PM if they knew who the heck he was (his initials are L.P.). He is considered a radical 'conservative' - although his views would make him unwelcome in OTL's Republican Party, and he nominally supported Kerry. Likewise, Nelson Rockefeller's replacement as Governor of New York (a Republican - who is actually older than Rockefeller - defeats him in the primaries sometime in the early-mid 70's, during a major ideological re-alignment)  would probably engender much hatred from both sides of the spectrum. 
5. Ronald Reagan is, if anything, even more beloved than in OTL among conservatives, even though he never gets to be President.

Connect the dots!

Second.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 05:41:38 PM »

Considering that 4 people want me to do timeline 2 first, then I'll start on it. However, if you're disappointed, it's probably because i'm not a great man at this, the way Harry is - or even better, the way the masters of soc.history.what-if are.

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 06:31:14 PM »

I bet Reagan stays a communist in the second one.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 08:21:25 PM »

I bet Reagan stays a communist in the second one.

Nope. The POD is too late, by the time the butterflies start to do the hula, Reagan's a Republican, and a conservative icon. Not quite in tune with later Republicans, but still...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies