is Pete Stark vulnerable in the primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:41:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  is Pete Stark vulnerable in the primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is Pete Stark vulnerable in the primary?  (Read 1577 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »

I've been reading that Stark has a primary challenger. Eric Swalwell is a young attorney who seems underfunded but I read that in a primary debate, Stark acted abrasive. Could this tip the scales against him? Swalwell is very young (about the same age as Schock) but could he do it? Here is an interesting link that shows that Stark has become what he railed against: http://www.ibabuzz.com/politics/files/2012/04/SwalwellStarkFlyer.jpg
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »

I hope to God he pulls it off. Speaking as a fellow atheist, Stark is a, shall we say, a dick.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »

Mcnerney should have just ran against him. He could have still represented his hometown in that case.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2012, 07:18:46 PM by Atari Democrat »

Mcnerney should have just ran against him. He could have still represented his hometown in that case.

maybe he was worried that boy wonder Ricky Gill would have won an open seat.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the Democratic bench is like in San Joaquin County. Probably not that deep, and Mcnerney has proven he can win there.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:10 AM »

Isn't this guy going to be on the ballot against Stark in November since Republicans didn't put a candidate up?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »

I don't think California allows someone to run in one party's primary and the general (Most states haven't for awhile, Connecticut in 2006 being one of the exceptions, and shortly after that they changed the law as did most of the remaining ones.)
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »

I don't think California allows someone to run in one party's primary and the general (Most states haven't for awhile, Connecticut in 2006 being one of the exceptions, and shortly after that they changed the law as did most of the remaining ones.)

They have the Washington jungle primary system now though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2012, 12:36:59 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

California doesn't have partisan primaries any more (except for Presidential). I looked at the websites for Barbara Lee's 2 opponents. One is a Democrat and another isn't a member of a party. They're both really Republicans who know that running as a Republican in the Berkeley/Oakland area is the kiss of death.

OK, I confirmed that Swalwell is a real Democrat. I'm guessing that he's more conservative than Stark, but I don't really know. Like Lee he also has a no party opponent who is a closet Republican.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2012, 12:44:20 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Isn't this guy going to be on the ballot against Stark in November since Republicans didn't put a candidate up?

The June election will eliminate one of the 3 candidates running. There are these 2 Democrats plus a closet Republican running as an Indy. Given the Democratic lean of the district and the fact that Swalwell holds elected office and has some endorsements I would assume that the 2 Democrats would make the November ballot.

Anyways, I hope Stark wins since he's the only openly atheist member of Congress ever. Earl Warren defeated an openly atheist California Governor.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »

The June election will eliminate one of the 3 candidates running. There are these 2 Democrats plus a closet Republican running as an Indy. Given the Democratic lean of the district and the fact that Swalwell holds elected office and has some endorsements I would assume that the 2 Democrats would make the November ballot.

Anyways, I hope Stark wins since he's the only openly atheist member of Congress ever. Earl Warren defeated an openly atheist California Governor.

The grandson of Olson was my speech/debate teacher in junior high school. We were of different parties (yes, I was as political and mouthy as I am now, and considerably more conservative then), but he was a fabulous teacher (and a handsome charismatic devil to boot), and what he taught me about presentation in front of an audience has served me very well indeed, particularly since until recent years, temperamentally I was  a somewhat introverted type. That is not good in the rough and tumble of the legal world, unless you are tax lawyer brainiac, or an estate and trusts type, who spends their time how to mitigate the death tax for clients, or a patent lawyer. He gave me the joy and high of the stage. I savor passion, and he was the one who added to my portfolio of the means to get there. Passion is what gives life meaning to me.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »

Again, speaking as an atheist myself, that is no reason to reelect a man who is, by all definitions, a confrontational asshole.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »

Again, speaking as an atheist myself, that is no reason to reelect a man who is, by all definitions, a confrontational asshole.

We could use more Alan Graysons and less Evan Bayhs on the Democratic side of the aisle.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 01:45:53 AM »

We could use more Alan Graysons and less Evan Bayhs on the Democratic side of the aisle.

That's all well and good, but being a strong progressive does not mean one has to be an asshole about it.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »

We could use less of both, honestly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »

We could use less of both, honestly.

This
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies