are you bathed in prayer? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:39:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  are you bathed in prayer? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: are you bathed in prayer?  (Read 4274 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: April 14, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »

Germany's really awful on this front. It's one of these things (like church taxes) that seem very odd and strange in a comparably secular country like Germany, but schools in almost every state (Berlin's an exception, I think) offer "Catholic" and "Protestant" religion classes, sometimes even by a priest in a public school.

You don't have to attend these classes, as usually an alternative "ethics" is offered....but it's still something that really does need to go...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »

One thing I've wondered, if your parents register you under a certain church, do you always stay registered under that upon becoming an adult unless you specifically go through the process to de-register, or is it something you have to continuously re-register as?

Religionsmündigkeit, or the legal ability to choose yourself what religion to adhere to, is obtained by turning 14 years old. Not entirely certain, but I'm relatively sure you remain a member of one of the churches unless you explicitly de-register upon becoming an adult (14 years old for the purpose of this issue).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This isn't true. Church taxes are owed if you are a member of a church that taxes you through the state. The only way to avoid paying them, as far as I know, is to renouce your membership in that church. (Which involves going down to city hall to officially de-register, and what's really freedom hating, pay a fee in most states.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies