Nasty storms today.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:03:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Nasty storms today.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nasty storms today.  (Read 412 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »

I've seen the SPC put out high-risk outlooks, but I've never actually seen a 60% severe probability while it's happening (as opposed to case studies).  This is the map for the upcoming day - they should be updating it pretty soon:

If you're anywhere in that area, please be careful today!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »

<raises hand>

I'm right in the middle of one of those 60% areas and the wife is already freaking out.  Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight at work so I can be awake to be the "voice of reason" in the house tomorrow afternoon.  Better not lose power while the Blues are on TV though.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »

<raises hand>

I'm right in the middle of one of those 60% areas and the wife is already freaking out.  Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight at work so I can be awake to be the "voice of reason" in the house tomorrow afternoon.  Better not lose power while the Blues are on TV though.

You have a basement, I hope?  And a weather radio?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

Yes, and yes, but it's old and shady. 

We live in a little valley with a decent sized hill to the SW (the direction tornadoes tend to come from) surrounded by houses and big old trees.  And I like statistics and they tell me only 3 people have died in Douglas County from a tornado since 1950 (and they were all in one storm) and nobody has even been injured by one since 1976.  Obviously it can happen and in all seriousness, we will be ready, but I'm not particularly worried.  My odds are probably better that I'll die in a car crash on the way home from work in the morning.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »

I purchased a new weather radio, a new flashlight and extra batteries.  Just in case.

I didn't die in a car crash on the way home either, so I've got that going for me.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »

Bit of a blizzard here this morning. Pretty unrelated though I guess. Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »

Been pretty boring so far, but I guess the "good stuff" is still on it's way.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »

Norman, OK got hit with a EF-2 tornado last night going right over the OU campus.  There are storms firing in Kansas from Great Bend down to Pratt down to NE of Buffalo, OK to Gage, Oklahoma, and extending into the eastern Texas Panhandle west of Hollis, Oklahoma and northeast of Plainview, Texas.  The storms in Gage and Buffalo have a tornado warning on them, although the Buffalo storm is about to sneak into Kansas around the town of Kiowa now and then Anthony, KS here in the next few minutes.  The storms are expected to congeal into a squall line reducing the tornado threat, but increasing the straight line damaging wind threat as they get closer to the I-35 corridor as the cold front meets up with the storms.  They are not supposed to reach Oklahoma City until between 8:00 pm tonight and Sunrise Sunday Morning, probably closer to the midnight time frame.  Once they clear, our chances of rain are over for the rest of the week.  There is a high risk of severe weather from just south of Oklahoma City all the way to nearly the Nebraska/South Dakota state line.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies