Gallup: Americans Favor "Buffett Rule" by 60% to 37%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:46:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: Americans Favor "Buffett Rule" by 60% to 37%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gallup: Americans Favor "Buffett Rule" by 60% to 37%  (Read 3037 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

Have a couple of degrees in music composition, which is probably as mathematical as you can get within the artistic community outside of architect.

I think I know how seriously to take this, but will not say that much at this time.

A talent for mathematics and musical composition are quite significantly correlated actually. Apparently both disciplines work the same part of the brain. Never having done musical composition, I have no anecdotal opinion. But that is what the literature suggests.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »

Have a couple of degrees in music composition, which is probably as mathematical as you can get within the artistic community outside of architect.

I think I know how seriously to take this, but will not say that much at this time.

A talent for mathematics and musical composition are quite significantly correlated actually. Apparently both disciplines work the same part of the brain. Never having done musical composition, I have no anecdotal opinion. But that is what the literature suggests.

Sure.  Indirectness, correlation or otherwise, can be Sam's specialty sometimes Tongue
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 05:29:00 AM »

Good.

37% of people are either misguided or are the 1%.
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »

[sees a poll saying that Americans favor repealing Obama's health care law by 56% to 37%]

[re-reads post]

[is amused]
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »

Response to Torie regarding the capital gains rate:

An important effect of lowering the capital gains rate has been that people now prefer to have stocks in companies which don't pay dividends.  The result is that companies pay less in dividends and have more money.  Some companies can find things to do with the extra money like invest in R & D.  Other companies (Proctor & Gamble, as an example) get lesser returns out of R & D, and so it's advantageous to sit on the money and lower dividend payments.

My point being: a lower capital gains rate (relative to the income tax rate) decreases the velocity of money by discouraging dividend payments.  Right now, we need to increase velocity of money.

Yes, I do understand the argument that higher capital gains rates lead to less investment.  It makes sense and is probably true.  However, I believe the above to be an important factor as well in the opposite direction.  I took a look at the historical record of capital gains tax rates, and found a somewhat spotty record of correlation with recessions and booms.

In short, it's not at all obvious that raising the capital gains rate is the worst thing we can do.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies