Interesting poll of Irish Catholics reveals widespread disagreement with Church.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Interesting poll of Irish Catholics reveals widespread disagreement with Church.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Interesting poll of Irish Catholics reveals widespread disagreement with Church.  (Read 4559 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »

Maybe its just a regional thing, but in my experience almost everyone raised Catholic who doesn't line up well with the church's official teachings still claims to be Catholic, while Baptists and other right wing Christian groups are more likely to abandon their labels.

The fact that you're considering all other Christians to be "Baptists and other right wing Christian groups" (well that and the fact that you are talking about all Baptists as right wing), shows this is a regional thing, perhaps caused by tribalism. And in fact actually kind of contrasts with my point about the Midwest well, since Catholics in the Midwest are not the predominant group resulting in the church being intertwined in the culture (like in Ireland) or so uncommon that they are a notably rare and separate group (as in the South), they are a fairly generic group in the Midwest.

I should also point out that mixed marriages here are extremely common, and if one of your parents and half your family wasn't Catholic, you won't feel a large connection to the church, even if you were confirmed in it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 12:28:02 AM »

Maybe its just a regional thing, but in my experience almost everyone raised Catholic who doesn't line up well with the church's official teachings still claims to be Catholic, while Baptists and other right wing Christian groups are more likely to abandon their labels.

The fact that you're considering all other Christians to be "Baptists and other right wing Christian groups" (well that and the fact that you are talking about all Baptists as right wing), shows this is a regional thing, perhaps caused by tribalism. And in fact actually kind of contrasts with my point about the Midwest well, since Catholics in the Midwest are not the predominant group resulting in the church being intertwined in the culture (like in Ireland) or so uncommon that they are a notably rare and separate group (as in the South), they are a fairly generic group in the Midwest.

I should also point out that mixed marriages here are extremely common, and if one of your parents and half your family wasn't Catholic, you won't feel a large connection to the church, even if you were confirmed in it.

BRTD, one thing you dont seem to acknowledge about the dreaded state of Catholics staying that way in NI is that the same thing conversely is correct for the Protestant community.  1640 is in the mind of many more than some doctrine.  Sectarianism has ruled the day for centuries.  Protestants and Catholics would be set in their ways of history, even if they dont believe any of it at all.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 12:34:30 AM »

Well yeah, I think that's pretty silly too.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 12:43:39 AM »

History is silly? Misguided, also. Over a million people sign up for the Ulster Solemn Covenant, probably not silly- Serious business. When Ian is bellowing out, Never!

The Shankill butchers were "Protestants" but I dont think they went to many revivals, do you?
Identifying with some vague community and not really adhering is not unique to the papist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 01:05:46 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 01:20:30 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

patrick, if you couldn't tell by what I was saying about Jews offended by conversion in the presidential forum that I'm not exactly a fan of "hereditary religion" at all. This no doubt has a lot to do by the fact that I'm in a sort of "tradition" that virtually no adult alive today was born into and is basically all converts (like what percentage of people at my church do you think was born into any type of neocharismatic church? I doubt it's even 20%.) My big issue is in the US it is virtually only Catholics that act this way, and like I stated before, it can actually be pretty offensive to some people.

I remember some article from some newsmagazine or whatever where the author was sort of jokingly going over how she's the only one from her generation of her family who still identifies as Catholic and she barely is, the rest of her siblings became Episcopalian, evangelical and agnostic. Now in a case like that I just think it's kind of a dick thing to basically tell the other siblings that they are Catholic no matter what they think or call themselves today.

For another example, imagine someone from a Northern Ireland Catholic family getting baptized again as an adult, like I was. Now it turns out that basically no one in my family was bothered by this, and at least two people expressed regret to me at not being able to come. I imagine that a family of Northern Ireland Catholics wouldn't be so supportive...but why is it any more "wrong" for an Irish Catholic to be rebaptized than it is for me? It's a silly double standard.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:57 AM »

patrick, if you couldn't tell by what I was saying about Jews offended by conversion in the presidential forum that I'm not exactly a fan of "hereditary religion" at all. This no doubt has a lot to do by the fact that I'm in a sort of "tradition" that virtually no adult alive today was born into and is basically all converts (like what percentage of people at my church do you think was born into any type of neocharismatic church? I doubt it's even 20%.) My big issue is in the US it is virtually only Catholics that act this way, and like I stated before, it can actually be pretty offensive to some people.

I remember some article from some newsmagazine or whatever where the author was sort of jokingly going over how she's the only one from her generation of her family who still identifies as Catholic and she barely is, the rest of her siblings became Episcopalian, evangelical and agnostic. Now in a case like that I just think it's kind of a dick thing to basically tell the other siblings that they are Catholic no matter what they think or call themselves today.

I went to a nice Mass at St Pats Cathedral last week, and even though I do not care for the new translation to the missal, I was given a sense of peace and happiness.  Yet, Different denominations should always strive for truth and common ground. So Sectarianism of any kind has to stop.  The RCC does not care about popular opinion much so I dont think they will change how they count on your account.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »

I went to a nice Mass at St Pats Cathedral last week, and even though I do not care for the new translation to the missal, I was given a sense of peace and happiness.  Yet, Different denominations should always strive for truth and common ground. So Sectarianism of any kind has to stop.  The RCC does not care about popular opinion much so I dont think they will change how they count on your account.

Well if someone doesn't have membership in a parish I don't see how they could be counted, but that's not really the point. But anyway wouldn't ending sectarianism also mean respecting the opinions of people who no longer wished to be included in those sects?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:41 AM »

Ending sectarianism would mean stopping discrimination, murder and violence. These are things that have been largely overcome in the last ten years, despite the Atlas' still dwelling.

It is policy to count everyone who has been baptised. It is a useless exercise to keep tabs on anyone's whereabouts.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 02:11:33 AM »

Ending sectarianism would mean stopping discrimination, murder and violence. These are things that have been largely overcome in the last ten years, despite the Atlas' still dwelling.

Since when is this going on in the US?

As for Northern Ireland see my example a few posts back about someone from a Northern Ireland Catholic family being rebaptized as an adult. Do you believe that most families would be as non-caring to supportive of it as mine?

It is policy to count everyone who has been baptised.

Well that's going to result in a lot of people being double counted (converts being counted by their new denomination as well), which is really bad from a statistical standpoint.

But if Wikipedia is getting its info accurately, then note this for example. With such precise numbers, I don't see how they could be getting them from anything other than adding the membership of all parishes in the diocese, which means that they are excluding people who lack such a membership (and as you noted, they have no way of knowing how many non-members who were baptized in that diocese anyway).

But ignoring whatever the church does from a personal standpoint, would you argue to someone baptized Catholic who doesn't identify as such that they really are Catholic and you'll never consider them otherwise? Because I think most people would consider that pretty crass.

It is a useless exercise to keep tabs on anyone's whereabouts.

Marketers would disagree. Now mind you I don't disagree that it's pointless for a church to try to track the whereabouts of someone who isn't voluntarily giving them this info and doesn't want anything to do with the church, but without doing so you're not able to keep the type of draconian retention policy described above.

BTW this is also worthy of note:

I'd say this either disproves Harry or simply proves that what he's talking about is incredibly regional, since by that study 1 out of 3 of people in the US raised Catholic no longer identify as such, and they actually have the worst retention rate of any group besides "None".
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 02:35:46 AM »

First, nice graphs.

There has been sectarianism in most places, and notably against your brand of Christianity in England for several hundred years.  They fought and killed kings to preserve it.

I count among family Catholics, Jews, Atheist and Protestants. We've managed to get along and I wonder why you cant.

The record keeping is pretty irrelevant from a faith perspective.   Love God and his creation.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 05:43:31 AM »

First, nice graphs.

There has been sectarianism in most places, and notably against your brand of Christianity in England for several hundred years.  They fought and killed kings to preserve it.

I count among family Catholics, Jews, Atheist and Protestants. We've managed to get along and I wonder why you cant.

The record keeping is pretty irrelevant from a faith perspective.   Love God and his creation.

As someone who comes from a part of the world with the same social sectarianism as Northern Ireland (though thankfully not politically) I will comment on this. I was raised in one of the most Catholic towns in Scotland in a Catholic family. Every single one of my aunts married a Protestant in the 1970’s-1990’s, all Presbyterian with the exception of my dad who was raised Nonconfirmist Evangelical. This is quite a familiar pattern. I went to Catholic schools and while nearly all had a Catholic mother, half had a Protestant father of varying denominations. Why? The Catholic Church does not recognise (sacramentally) the wedding of Catholic who marries outside of the church. (One of the provisios for allowing Catholics to even marry non Catholics, which was never officially barred but not encouraged in Scotland until Vatican II) was to promise to raise any children as Catholics. This was of course duly done.

As a result of living where I live, my family, my schooling etc (and in part supporting Celtic FC) I am culturally Catholic. I’m an atheist of course, but culturally I am ‘catholic’ because Catholics in Scotland have always been progressive and liberal in comparison to the once Presbyterian majority. In Social Attitudes Survey’s here, Catholics are the most liberal religious grouping (excepting those who say they have ‘no religion’) when it comes to divorce, gay rights, equal rights and race relations. I am part of the ‘Roman Catholic community’

My dad for the record holds no belief and hasn’t since he was 15. Only my mum attends mass and none of her four children do. Me and my sister identify as atheist/agnostic. Out of 7 cousins on the Catholic side of my family, as far as I know only 2 attend mass one because he is only 8. This has never caused any problem in the family

With regards to the type of church that BRTD goes to, in Northern Ireland and Scotland such churches have came out of the Presbyterian or Non-Conformist tradition in Northern Ireland which is closely affiliated with Ian Paisley and in a nutshell are theologically close to the views that JCL espouses. They are therefore both the most socially conservative churches in Northern Ireland and also the least favourable to Catholicism and by extension power-sharing (more so than High Presbyterian or Episcopalians). So a Catholic joining such a church probably would have a hard time because it wouldn’t be so much about abandoning his faith, but rather opposing the cultural tradition of their community and joining a church that in many instances are instinctively anti-Catholic and anti-community
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 09:28:29 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

Well I can. Like I said, I just think the issue is that if someone doesn't want to be labeled Catholic, then you shouldn't be a jerk and insist they are. It seems this would fall into getting along.

As someone who comes from a part of the world with the same social sectarianism as Northern Ireland (though thankfully not politically) I will comment on this. I was raised in one of the most Catholic towns in Scotland in a Catholic family. Every single one of my aunts married a Protestant in the 1970’s-1990’s, all Presbyterian with the exception of my dad who was raised Nonconfirmist Evangelical. This is quite a familiar pattern. I went to Catholic schools and while nearly all had a Catholic mother, half had a Protestant father of varying denominations. Why? The Catholic Church does not recognise (sacramentally) the wedding of Catholic who marries outside of the church. (One of the provisios for allowing Catholics to even marry non Catholics, which was never officially barred but not encouraged in Scotland until Vatican II) was to promise to raise any children as Catholics. This was of course duly done.

That's pretty weird that people in Scotland would care about that, since most people here don't. Like I said elsewhere, supposedly my mom had relatives disapproving of her being married in a Protestant church, but they're also all dead and I can't remember any of them, showing how old they were. I can't see anyone currently alive in my family caring in the slightest about someone not marrying a Catholic church or not pledging to raise their kids Catholic, though I can think of only two grandkids from that side of the family that are being raised Catholic, and they are quite young. But it's not just us, I'd be surprised to meet someone whose family would actually care about this in a mixed marriage here.

With regards to the type of church that BRTD goes to, in Northern Ireland and Scotland such churches have came out of the Presbyterian or Non-Conformist tradition in Northern Ireland which is closely affiliated with Ian Paisley and in a nutshell are theologically close to the views that JCL espouses. They are therefore both the most socially conservative churches in Northern Ireland and also the least favourable to Catholicism and by extension power-sharing (more so than High Presbyterian or Episcopalians). So a Catholic joining such a church probably would have a hard time because it wouldn’t be so much about abandoning his faith, but rather opposing the cultural tradition of their community and joining a church that in many instances are instinctively anti-Catholic and anti-community

Actually shua posted another example earlier, so that's not always the case anymore. I doubt someone who has preached at Rob Bell's church is going to be too close to Ian Paisley.

And isn't Paisley a teetoaler and anti-alcohol? Because for most people at my church...well let's just say that is not the case at the risk of making quite the understatement. Smiley

But even though this wouldn't involve being baptized again, let's imagine that it's someone who converts to Anglicanism instead. Or even just marries an Anglican in an Anglican church and raises their kids that way. As Nathan can attest, ex-Catholics in the US are quite big in Episcopalianism, so this wouldn't be unusual at all, and you can't say they'd be joining some reactionary right wing church. Especially if they said the reason for that was that they wouldn't want to raise their kids in a church that promoted such reactionary positions on gay rights and divorce, considering what you said above about Catholics supporting such a thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »

That's pretty weird that people in Scotland would care about that, since most people here don't.

The possibility exists that Minnesota may not be the absolutely typical standard against which all other socities must be measured.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »

Well yeah but Scotland is quite a bit more secular.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »

afleitch, I appreciate the post. Ive spent some time in your nice corner of the world to know about sectarianism. It is rotten yet identity can be excellent. Ive sung Depeche Mode songs to Celtic more than any Church song.  

BRTD, dont get caught up in labels.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

Who accuses non Catholics of being Catholic? I've never heard of that...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

Quite so.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 01:29:10 AM »

Who accuses non Catholics of being Catholic? I've never heard of that...

Well ex-Catholics, who would be current non-Catholics of course. Not many people would really insist on it, but see what patrick was saying above that the church is going to consider anyone baptized to always be Catholic. As I noted they probably aren't including these people in the diocese membership numbers (not that they could), but I can see cases of friction such as in families insisting on Catholic weddings in what afleitch was talking about (and like I said that I find quite odd, I find it amazing a significant people in Scotland would care about what any church teaches at all.)

And like I said, note the graph above. It's pretty clear that not every person raised Catholic continues to identify as such and the retention rate is actually worse than both evangelicals and mainline Protestants. (In all fairness though the pure retention rate isn't significantly worse, the real cause of the decline is that unlike the Protestant groups they aren't picking up many converts in replacement.)

You got to realize, this is kind of a Berzerk Button issue for me. It's a lot like the Mormon posthumous "baptism" practice, even though I don't have a problem with that. But a lot of people who are offended by it say that it's basically very disrespectful for the Mormons to basically count these people as Mormons if they wanted nothing to do with the church in life (and they don't really do that, but you know the point.) Well in this case it's similar, except you're talking about people who are still alive and had as much say in their baptisms as the people "baptized" posthumously by the Mormons.

When I compared that practice to infant baptism, one defense as to why it was different was that someone baptized as a baby when they grow up can still renounce that if they don't agree with it while someone dead can't speak out. Well if someone baptized Catholic does do that and then someone wants to insist "Oh but you're still Catholic anyway"...well yeah you can see why I see that as being a jerk.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »

I am shocked. Shocked.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »

I was baptised Catholic and I am on the Catholic parish baptismal register and that doesn’t really bother me because it’s not a government or state document.  No where am I ‘officially’ Catholic. On the only formal record I make to the state (the Census) I ticked ‘No Religion.’ No some people will tick a religion, because the wording of the census question leads many to answer what religion they are in a family/cultural context. The Scottish Social Attitudes Survey suggests that 50% of the population hold ‘No Religion’ varying across ages with 64% of 18-24 year olds holding no religion. No Religion is up from 40% to 50% since 2000. So we are broadly secular.

When I was talking about weddings you should remember that I was talking about my parents generation, most of whom married in the 1970’s and attitudes have changed. My brother, a non practicing Catholic married his atheist wife in a Humanist ceremony which is technically not recognised by the Church, but that doesn’t concern him. My sister (married in a Catholic ceremony but divorced) cannot re-marry in the Church and is leaning towards having a Humanist wedding too. For the record, Humanist weddings in Scotland were only introduced in 2005 and are now the third most popular ceremony after a Civil Ceremony and Church of Scotland.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »

I think you're making mountains out of molehills, BRTD. I have never, ever heard of anyone trying to count someone as Catholic against their will. While I don't deny that someone has probably done it before, it is nowhere near a mainstream thing.

In fact, it reminds me of what I've heard Baptists claim, that once you're saved, you're saved forever, regardless of what you do. I'm not sure if that's official Baptist doctrine or not, but what you're saying sounds (to me) much more like conservative evangelical protestantism than Catholicism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2012, 11:29:34 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

I was baptised Catholic and I am on the Catholic parish baptismal register and that doesn’t really bother me because it’s not a government or state document.  No where am I ‘officially’ Catholic.

Well yeah you're on a baptismal register, but that would also apply to many people baptized in Protestant churches who aren't a member anymore. Obviously we don't have any state or government registrations of religion, but as I noted earlier dioceses do have membership numbers, and I don't see how they could possibly calculate that any other way than parish membership since there's no way they could track down people baptized who don't register with a parish. So like I noted, this really makes the situation no different than a Protestant church. So I fail to see how one could argue that one is unleavable and not the other.

When I was talking about weddings you should remember that I was talking about my parents generation, most of whom married in the 1970’s and attitudes have changed.

Ah true, but it also seemed few cared in my parents' time either other than a few olds.

I think you're making mountains out of molehills, BRTD. I have never, ever heard of anyone trying to count someone as Catholic against their will. While I don't deny that someone has probably done it before, it is nowhere near a mainstream thing.

It might not be, but watch that clip of the comedian above. He seems to be saying that's possible. Now yeah, he's a comedian. But Gully and oakvale seem to not exactly disagree with what he's saying seriously. And what patrick is saying implies that doesn't exactly contradict church doctrine. One case I remember hearing about though somewhat jokingly was one of the pastors at my church in her sermon mentioning how her grandmother had a difficult time understanding how she could be a pastor since she was both a woman and married and her grandmother couldn't seem to wrap her mind around that she wasn't Catholic anymore and then made a joke about how she had no clue how her grandmother would react if she told her she was baptized again, though that was more of an example about how people can get stuck in their ways and refuse to accept change, the point of the sermon.

Like I said, I just find this whole mindset very odd because it really doesn't exist here. I have never met anyone who claims to be an atheist Catholic, or anyone who would insist on still being Catholic despite never going to church. Now yeah cultural factors could have an effect on why this would be more likely to be the case in the Midwest. But if you also note that graph above, it's clear that it's not just isolated to here as well.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »

Let's compare this with a new poll from Austria:

"Do you favor or oppose abolishing the Celibate ?"

82% Yes
11% No

Interestingly, Salzburg & Upper Austria are the states most in favor of abolishing it.

86-5   Salzburg/Upper Austria
85-10 Burgenland/Lower Austria
82-11 Vienna
79-15 Styria/Carinthia
73-15 Tyrol/Vorarlberg

http://www.live-pr.com/priester-sollen-heiraten-d-252-rfen-r1049456501.htm

There has been another poll which showed a similar percentage of Austrians who favor women as priests in the Catholic Church.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

You know if there are any "hipster" churches in Austria, they probably have less than 1% the number of adherents than the Catholic Church but still a far easier time recruiting clergy.

I mean for comparison in the US the estimates of the number of people involved in Vineyard churches is around 300k-500k, there are over 68 million Catholics. Guess which one has a much easier time recruiting pastors and planting new churches? But when you not only have the celibacy requirement but also prohibit a majority of your membership from the position...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies