Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:01:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment  (Read 11521 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »

I'm surprised nobody's started a topic on this yet.  What are your thoughts on Rosen's comment?

"What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country saying, 'Well, you know my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues and when I listen to my wife that's what I'm hearing.' Guess what? His wife has actually never worked a day in her life. She's never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school and why do we worry about their future."

As for my thoughts, Rosen's wording was poor, and you should generally leave candidates spouses out of the picture, but Romney brought her into this. And ultimately Rosen is right: as a stay-at-home mom, Rosen doesn't have the perspective that a working mom would have on economic issues. Although, the bigger point that probably could've been made without making stay-at-home moms angry would've just to made a comment about the Romneys wealth in general. Not that that's fair either, but Democrat pissing off wealthy voters hurts less than pissing off moms.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:36:29 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2012, 11:52:17 PM by PhilthyPhezzy »

I think it's more of the same old American sensationalism. Turning an absolute non-issue into the issue of the week. I find the entire thing to be excruciatingly contrived and pointless.

EDIT: To go deeper...since this is apparently going to be a serious discussion; I should clarify that what I find the most offensively idiot about this whole garbage issue is that the entire point of the comment has been glossed over in favor of sensationalist politicking. She hasn't worked! There are so many women who are being swept under the rug by Obama and just this issue in general that are fighting ALONE to go to their jobs all day and come home to raise their kids day in and day out. I can't even do that for myself let alone little people that depend on me. The whole basis of this issue is so beyond ignorant that it just baffles me. I honestly cannot believe that people are trying to turn this into an issue about raising children. BULL, this is about women who run their own shet AND have to raise kids all on their own. Something Ann Romney definitely NEVER did.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

I don't.

I am outraged by Rosen's comments, because I am a Republican and she offended the people we needed her to offend.

Outraged, I say!

Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »

I partly feel sympathy for her, just because I honestly don't think she was thinking "moms don't work" when she said that, but then again, I've seen Republicans make similar-type comments and it was blown way out of proportion as well. Will be interesting to see what this does - Romney shouldn't overplay this, but it may have helped him slightly with women, at least for now. If anything, it gains them some sympathy.

I have no ill feelings towards her on the comments - Anne Romney has thick skin, so I doubt it bothered her too much. If anything, strategist Republicans were happy she made this comment as it gives a little bit of ammo in trying to win some more of the women vote.

In closing, politician's families should never be attacked in a campaign like that. So the blame falls on Rosen.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »

It's not so much that she didn't work while she was raising her kids. It's that she's never had a job. Ever. And I certainly don't blame her personally. I wouldn't work if I didn't have to. But what does that say about our economy that you have these idle richers who have never been gainfully employed a day in their life, live off investments, and then pay taxes at a lower rate than the vast majority of people who work hard every day? Our entire economic system is seriously screwy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »

It's not so much that she didn't work while she was raising her kids. It's that she's never had a job. Ever. And I certainly don't blame her personally. I wouldn't work if I didn't have to. But what does that say about our economy that you have these idle richers who have never been gainfully employed a day in their life, live off investments, and then pay taxes at a lower rate than the vast majority of people who work hard every day? Our entire economic system is seriously screwy.

Mitt hasn't had a job for over half a decade now, either.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »

I find the remark nauseating, because Ann was simply saying what she heard working women tell her, not that she claimed to be an expert on the world of paycheck work where you depend on that paycheck. So the attack on her for not being an expert, poorly worded, was way, way beyond the pale. Rosen is just an unthinking attack dog really, who hasn't been adequately trained to do the job effectively.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »

I agree with Rosen's general message but her delivery was poor and made her sound ignorant. I hold working women in infinitely higher esteem than rich housewives.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2012, 12:50:24 AM by I cannot imagine power as a thing negative and not positive. »

You know who else never had a "real job?"  Jackie Kennedy, and Lady Bird Johnson (unless "using daddy's money to buy a radio station and then totally non-suspiciously getting a legal monopoly for the entire city of Austin" counts), and Rosalynn Carter.  Oh, and Theresa Heinz, and Tipper Gore (unless "part-time photographer" counts), and Kitty Dukakis, and Joan Mondale (unless "part-time museum tour guide for less than a year" counts).  Oh, and if we're going the class warfare route and excluding jobs earning more than six figures, Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama.

(In short, the only Democratic first lady candidate ever to hold a working-class job for any extended period of time out of economic necessity rather than personal choice was Eleanor McGovern).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:42 AM »

The Romneys are a couple where both are out of work, desperately trying to raise a family while still making sure to uphold American values by driving a couple of Cadillacs.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 04:55:34 AM »

What's really asinine is that even the journalists who covered this thing admitted it's a trivial non-issue, yet they went on with their hyperventilating reporting and analysis. 
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:54 AM »

I'm surprised nobody's started a topic on this yet.  What are your thoughts on Rosen's comment?

This story is being hyped by the media in an attempt to help Romney. But Rosen is not an Obama strategist, so it's really not even relevant to Obama.

The media needs to just shut its mouth.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »

I'm surprised nobody's started a topic on this yet.  What are your thoughts on Rosen's comment?

This story is being hyped by the media in an attempt to help Romney. But Rosen is not an Obama strategist, so it's really not even relevant to Obama.

The media needs to just shut its mouth.

Correct, Bandit. Romney seems on course to get a John McCain style 2008 free pass Angry
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 08:31:01 AM »

Correct, Bandit. Romney seems on course to get a John McCain style 2008 free pass Angry

Or even worse, a Bush-style free pass.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

Or even worse, a Bush-style free pass.

Had a bad feeling in my water with GWB from DAY ONE. Indeed, the Reactionary Party seems oblivious to the fact that capitalism requires more broad-based prosperity (Bill Clinton, to a point, understood that, which is why, economically, he was by far more successful than any of the Republicans post-1981)

If only a Democrat Smiley had been bequeathed the Clinton legacy of prosperity (given that most of the 22% gain in median incomes - during the Washington Consensus - occurred during his presidency), low unemployment (23 million jobs generated between 1993-2001) and solvent government

Anyway, nothing changes the fact that the 'Crash of 2008' has totally and utterly discredited the neoliberal mantra espoused by Friedrich von Hayek. Reactionary Party-nomics have proven themselves The Road to Serfdom

The Democratic Party is the party of middle class empowerment; the Reactionary Party that of middle class emaciation. If the GOP hadn't gained control of the House of Representatives or made sizeable gains in the Senate, in 2010, the economic recovery may well have been locked-in with unemployment on a more rapidly trend downwards.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »

There's no middle class left. The Democrats need to become the party of lower class empowerment.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »

Hilary Rosen is an absolute embarassment to the nation and to the Obama administration.  She is a classless, ignorant wench.

Even President Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, and Vice President Biden have condemned her outrageous remarks.

There is no tougher job, or role, in life than being a mother.

If the Democrats have any sense at all, they will not be having Rosen speak for them at all in the future.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »

I joked that I was mostly offended because it was a useful gaffe for our side. But I do want to say, I don't think this gaffe is as much of a non-issue as Democrats want to say it is.

They key electorate this cycle is women. And Hilary's comments will piss off a lot of women. It will certainly piss off the moms of higher-income families--Rosen's comments were a direct assault on their lifestyles. I'd say there'd be a fair middle-class population of stay-at-home moms too--a group that Obama desperately needs. And even poorer mothers who do work could take some issue with this, just out of feeling rubbed the wrong way.

The comments could be made to symbolize the group that Democrats would leave out in the dust come a second term.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

I joked that I was mostly offended because it was a useful gaffe for our side. But I do want to say, I don't think this gaffe is as much of a non-issue as Democrats want to say it is.

They key electorate this cycle is women. And Hilary's comments will piss off a lot of women. It will certainly piss off the moms of higher-income families--Rosen's comments were a direct assault on their lifestyles. I'd say there'd be a fair middle-class population of stay-at-home moms too--a group that Obama desperately needs. And even poorer mothers who do work could take some issue with this, just out of feeling rubbed the wrong way.

The comments could be made to symbolize the group that Democrats would leave out in the dust come a second term.

Rosen's comments, of course, have nothing to do with the Obama administration
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »

But as one of the premier ambassadors for Democrats in the media, it's pretty significant.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »

Non-issue; it will be forgotten about in a week.  Most people didn't know who Hillary Rosen was before this happened, and since what she said obviously only reflects her personal views on the matter, this will not have an impact on Obama.  It would be foolish to blame Obama for something that he didn't mean to construe.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »

I think this issue will continue to be the media's focus for the next 6 months.  The only remote chance I can see people moving on is in the unlikely event someone else on TV says something stupid between now and then and we're all distracted.  I suppose it's possible but I don't honestly see that happening.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »

Rosen's comments have been turned into something far more than what they were. Most news sources refuse to quote her in context:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rosen's point was just that Romney wife maybe isn't the most qualified advisor Romney could have chosen to be advisor on these issues. That just the fact that she is his wife doesn't negate that her life experiences have been very different than that of most women. Any good-faith reading of these comments would appreciate that her remark "never worked a day in her life" wasn't meant as an attack on stay-at-home moms. Rosen likely didn't have SAHM in her mind when she uttered the comment. She was clearly referring to formal work. As in "I went to work," or "I'm out of work." When people say these things they don't literally mean that no dishes are washed or no lawns are mowed at home, or that unemployed people can't also raise children. They just mean formal, paid work.

Rosen as a mother herself knows how hard that kind of work is. Also, I think that clearly you can see it wasn't spite for Ann Romney driving the comments. Rosen was responding to Romney's assertion that he uses Ann for advice on women's issues. The point was not to hate on Ann but to point out that Romney might get better advice from more diverse sources. By refusing to defend Rosen, Democrats unfortunately have allowed Republicans to get away with the notion that a Democratic pundit somehow attacked SAHM or Ann Romney, when that is not the case.

Compare the above to these comments,

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »

...who even is Hilary Rosen?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies