Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:41:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment  (Read 11515 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2012, 12:47:04 PM by Beet »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And ask yourself-- whose comments were more misogynistic? Whose comments were more deserving of a firestorm / backlash? Now compare the amount of listeners Rush Limbaugh has vs. Hilary Rosen, the profile Rush Limbaugh has vs. Hilary Rosen in their respective parties, the fact that Hilary Rosen skipped MTP and will likely be keeping a much lower profile for the rest of the campaign, while Rush did not lose a millisecond of airtime. And where is Rush Limbaugh now? On the air. Gloating. (Sorry about the 4-page elephant, I started it out meaning to be one post but Rush is really verbose!)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »

I think this issue will continue to be the media's focus for the next 6 months.  The only remote chance I can see people moving on is in the unlikely event someone else on TV says something stupid between now and then and we're all distracted.  I suppose it's possible but I don't honestly see that happening.

lol
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »

I think this issue will continue to be the media's focus for the next 6 months.  The only remote chance I can see people moving on is in the unlikely event someone else on TV says something stupid between now and then and we're all distracted.  I suppose it's possible but I don't honestly see that happening.

lol

Amen. The only thing uncertain is which political operatives will have gaffes, not if there will be gaffes.

The Romney campaign has handled this gaffe well, but they can't play the Ann card too much.  She's more charismatic than her husband, but if used too much, she'll either have to stay away from the issues so much as to appear a lightweight or talk about them enough to either contradict her husband's views or embrace them enough to be tarnished as a privileged plutocrat like her husband.
milhouse24
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »

Some people think Romney and Republicans have a problem with Female voters.  They are losing to obama by 8%. 

This is just one way for Romney to win over Soccer Moms. 

But Romney has a 20% lead over obama amongst Men, so I think Romney will do very well in the election with those kind of numbers.

While Obama and democrats are preoccupied trying to win women and soccer moms, Romney will be building his lead with nascar dads, working class men, and white catholic men.  Its that simple really.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »

I find the remark nauseating, because Ann was simply saying what she heard working women tell her, not that she claimed to be an expert on the world of paycheck work where you depend on that paycheck. So the attack on her for not being an expert, poorly worded, was way, way beyond the pale. Rosen is just an unthinking attack dog really, who hasn't been adequately trained to do the job effectively.

This.

I salute Rosen for unintentionally giving Romney a boost among women just when it was needed. The sooner the gender gap can be closed, the better. We only need 47-48% of women, and it won't even be close.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 08:00:24 PM »

Correct, Bandit. Romney seems on course to get a John McCain style 2008 free pass Angry

Or even worse, a Bush-style free pass.

Try a Reagan-style free pass Wink
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »

I salute Rosen for unintentionally giving Romney a boost among women just when it was needed. The sooner the gender gap can be closed, the better. We only need 47-48% of women, and it won't even be close.

Romney will not, of course, get that percentage of the female vote in a million years.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »

We'll see.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »

If living a similar lifestyle is considered necessary for relating to voters, would any politician's wife meet that test? Ann Romney doesn't, but neither does Michelle Obama (being a 'working mom' when you're a white shoe lawyer and a healthcare executive is a bit different). Cindy McCain the brewery heiress didn't. Ironically, I'd say the most relatable candidate spouse we've recently had is probably Todd Palin. Which in turn begs the question of whether that's really an important criteria in picking a candidate.

What is odd about Ann Romney is that she has literally never had a non-domestic paying job before. She was a full-time student when she married at 19, and she had her first child not long after that. Even in the June Cleaver days, most women would have some kind of job in their early 20s before they got married, or sometimes up until they had kids. (My grandmother was a secretary up until she had her first kid. My grandfather was an accountant at the same company - they drove to work together every morning.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:05 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2012, 12:25:42 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I'm surprised nobody's started a topic on this yet.  What are your thoughts on Rosen's comment?

This story is being hyped by the media in an attempt to help Romney. But Rosen is not an Obama strategist, so it's really not even relevant to Obama.

The media needs to just shut its mouth.

Correct, Bandit. Romney seems on course to get a John McCain style 2008 free pass Angry

Surprise, after years of Obama sucking up to them, the right-wing media still hates him. Obviously this Rosen comment is a complete non-story. As for Mitt, he's been an unemployed bum for over 5 years.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 02:59:07 AM »

This will be forgotten faster than Kony by next week. Let's move on.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 04:25:08 AM »

Hopefully the males in the Democratic Party's apparatus will keep repeating this from now until November. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

We're coming for your soccer moms with the New King of Triangulation!
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »

If living a similar lifestyle is considered necessary for relating to voters, would any politician's wife meet that test? Ann Romney doesn't, but neither does Michelle Obama (being a 'working mom' when you're a white shoe lawyer and a healthcare executive is a bit different). Cindy McCain the brewery heiress didn't. Ironically, I'd say the most relatable candidate spouse we've recently had is probably Todd Palin. Which in turn begs the question of whether that's really an important criteria in picking a candidate.

What is odd about Ann Romney is that she has literally never had a non-domestic paying job before. She was a full-time student when she married at 19, and she had her first child not long after that. Even in the June Cleaver days, most women would have some kind of job in their early 20s before they got married, or sometimes up until they had kids. (My grandmother was a secretary up until she had her first kid. My grandfather was an accountant at the same company - they drove to work together every morning.)

When did:
1) (making a great choice) marrying well.
2) building a great family the traditional way (countless great choices)
3) making it on your own   
4) achieving the 'american dream'
5) struggling through cancer and MS inspirationaly
become a dis-qualifier to speak or be listened to? 

Democrat culture war fail.   

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »

When did:
2) building a great family the traditional way (countless great choices)
3) making it on your own   
4) achieving the 'american dream'
5) struggling through cancer and MS inspirationaly
become a dis-qualifier to speak or be listened to? 

Democrat culture war fail.   

Not a disqualifier to speak or be listened to, but the subject is economics and the person in question has literally never held a paying job.

Hopefully the males in the Democratic Party's apparatus will keep repeating this from now until November. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Sure is nineties in here.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »

Politico needs to start sporting helmet hair and using the Chicago font.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/15/mitt-romney-mothers-welfare-moms_n_1426113.html

Oops.  That turned up even faster than the several days it took Romney to address Rush Limbaugh's comments (saying only that he himself would have used different language).
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2012, 12:10:56 PM by Kyro sayz »

When did:

3) making it on your own  
LOL wut? I'm amused to see that conservatives consider becoming the trophy wife of a millionaire to be "making it on your own".

People talking about how being a stay at home mum is a real job... well I'd firstly be curious to know how much use the Romney's made use of maids and other hired help for the housework. Of course raising children is taxing in and of itself, but Ann Romney chose that option because she preferred it- theirs no shortage of women can't make that choice because they don't have a wealthy husband(or any husband at all).... and then theirs those mothers/couples that can't even find a job at all(whilst Ann Romney enjoyed the certainty that she would be able to secure a job if she ever wanted one).

Hilary Rosen should have phrased it better. She should have said Ann couldn't understand most women's situation because she's never needed a job... even if she had taken one it would have been a luxury preference since her income would be statistically insignificant compared to her husband's and therefore not impacted her standard of living one way or the other.

She's basically equivalent to a trust fund millionare in other words. Sure they might opt for a job or children, but the job will be out of preference rather then financial pressure, and children won't mean a financial pressure for them.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »

Joementum's link raises an interesting point... what is the moral difference between a stay at home mum living off her husband and a stay at home mum living of the government? Mitt claimed that the latter is undignified and women on welfare with 2 year olds should be compelled to work... yet somehow the former is simultaneously respectable?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/15/mitt-romney-mothers-welfare-moms_n_1426113.html

Oops.  That turned up even faster than the several days it took Romney to address Rush Limbaugh's comments (saying only that he himself would have used different language).

I salute Romney for unintentionally giving Obama another boost among women just when it was needed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »

Joementum's link raises an interesting point... what is the moral difference between a stay at home mum living off her husband and a stay at home mum living of the government? Mitt claimed that the latter is undignified and women on welfare with 2 year olds should be compelled to work... yet somehow the former is simultaneously respectable?

The difference is that with the former, the dad can provide a role-model of how work can get you what you want.  With the latter, the dad can't because the dad ain't there.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »

How pray is Romney going to triangulate given that if the Earth was flat the Reactionary Party would have fallen off the right face of it?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »

There are women out there who have to raise children AND go to work. Those are the people who are struggling out there and Ann Romney does not understand how it is to be in their shoes. Hillary Rosen was absolutely right, though of course she should have phrased it better.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2012, 03:34:33 PM by Politico »

Let me get this straight: Is Team Obama really gearing up for this re-election battle by arguing we should return welfare to the way it was before the Clinton era reforms? Is Barack Obama really going to transform into Walter Mondale? Please pinch me!

Ann Romney has dealt with cancer and MS. I think she knows a thing or two about struggling in life. And she is just as capable as Michelle Obama when it comes to listening to the concerns of women of all backgrounds. And guess what: Ann connects with females better than Michelle, who does not even appear to enjoy being First Lady.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »

Romney is not going to triangulate.  He is not anywhere near progressive on social issues.  If I can recall correctly, he said during one of the debates that he would even push for an amendment banning same-sex marriage.  He's talked about getting rid of Planned Parenthood and basically ignored a man in a wheel chair after he asked him about his position on medical marijuana.  There is not a single thing, given the rhetoric that he delivers today, that should earn him a reputation as a "moderate."  But he has one, anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies