Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:14:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment  (Read 11516 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »

I had herd the "war on women" crap being manufactured by all of her boss's for  months prior to her comments.

[Spelling and grammar errors have been highlighted in red.  You're welcome!]

boss's is correct (depends on which grammar book you use I suppose)

Haha, what?  Perhaps if the grammar book pertains to a language other than English!

Your a grammar Nazi, Joe.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 03:50:58 PM by Big DaddyPA »

The sexualities of the people involved aren't even slightly relevant.

yeah, sure....
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 03:51:12 PM by Big DaddyPA »

The sexualities of the people involved aren't even slightly relevant.

yeah, sure....

If Ann Romney was a lesbian mother of five, or of any other number of children including zero, who had never held a paid job she'd be just inept an economic surrogate for a major party's presidential candidate.

I think your image of lesbianism is stuck about thirty-five years ago.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »

Yeah, but when Democrats calls lesbians "dykes," it's okay because at least they vote for more "open minded" candidates.

What a joke.

I don't at all support the original comment. But I think it's pretty inaccurate to associate what he said with all conservatives.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 05:27:08 PM »

Yeah, but when Democrats calls lesbians "dykes," it's okay because at least they vote for more "open minded" candidates.

What?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »

Conservatives aren't the only people who throw around terms like "dyke" and "f****t." So it's unfair to say "it's no wonder conservatives get labelled so badly."

There's just as much bigotry amongst Democrat voters, but no one attributes those comments to the Democrats, because their candidates are supposedly more "pro-gay." But for many of the people who vote Democrat, the candidates' positions on gay rights don't matter... voters on both sides still call people dykes and f****ts.

So I don't like when people try to associate bigotry with one political ideology. If we're being honest, it should  be associated with everyone.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 05:22:40 AM »

I had herd the "war on women" crap being manufactured by all of her boss's for  months prior to her comments.

[Spelling and grammar errors have been highlighted in red.  You're welcome!]

boss's is correct (depends on which grammar book you use I suppose)

Haha, what?  Perhaps if the grammar book pertains to a language other than English!

Your a grammar Nazi, Joe.

Awwww Tongue
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »

Conservatives aren't the only people who throw around terms like "dyke" and "f****t." So it's unfair to say "it's no wonder conservatives get labelled so badly."

yo, "dyke" is a common word among dykes....example:  Pat Benatar perfoms her concerts with a "Dykes Rule" sticker on her guitar
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »

If Ann Romney was a lesbian mother of five, or of any other number of children including zero, who had never held a paid job she'd be just inept an economic surrogate for a major party's presidential candidate.

well, my wife hasn't worked in 17 years, but she makes >90% of the purchases and is well aware of the real world of economics.

---

I think your image of lesbianism is stuck about thirty-five years ago.

as you well know, I side with God on the issue, and His image of it hasn't changed since Adam and Eve.  And, as you also well know, you choose to blind yourself to the truth.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »

yo, "dyke" is a common word among dykes....example:  Pat Benatar perfoms her concerts with a "Dykes Rule" sticker on her guitar

The N word is a common word amongst African-Americans. I dare you to go into a Golden Corral and shout "Hey there, n-ggers!" at the top of your lungs. It should be okay because it's "a common word."

For the most part, I'm not in any way pro-gay. But it does no good to throw around demeaning and offensive terms--whether you're a Democrat OR a Republican.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 01:25:51 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

The N word is a common word amongst African-Americans. I dare you to go into a Golden Corral and shout "Hey there, n-ggers!" at the top of your lungs. It should be okay because it's "a common word."

Ma'am, don't confuse race with homosexuality.  One is not condemned, the other is.

Also, not sure about the Golden Corral, but at least a couple of nights out of most weeks, I wouldn't have to look past my own living room to find some brothas and/or thick-souled sistas.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »

Ma'am, don't confuse race with homosexuality.  One is not condemned, the other is.

That's got nothing to do with his point, which is that using a term positively and reclaiming a slur as a positive vs. a term negatively is a factor.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »

well, my wife hasn't worked in 17 years, but she makes >90% of the purchases and is well aware of the real world of economics.

But is she the economic surrogate to a presidential candidate?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

as you well know, I side with God on the issue, and His image of it hasn't changed since Adam and Eve.  And, as you also well know, you choose to blind yourself to the truth.
[/quote]

Even with God not admitting of change the world most certainly is. 'The lesbian' is not a monolithic social entity fixed from eternity that can be defined by its hatred of motherhood. You're applying sacramental characters to identitarian concepts, which is truly bizarre. I assure you, I can see a lot more and further than you can.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

yo, "dyke" is a common word among dykes....example:  Pat Benatar perfoms her concerts with a "Dykes Rule" sticker on her guitar

Do you really not see a distinction?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »

Even with God not admitting of change the world most certainly is.

yeah, and the current world is destined for fire...so I choose to side with God.

---

'The lesbian' is not a monolithic social entity fixed from eternity that can be defined by its hatred of motherhood.

hate to clue you in, but homosexuality ain't exactly the embracement of human reproduction.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »

Even with God not admitting of change the world most certainly is.

yeah, and the current world is destined for fire...so I choose to side with God.

The world is what we're discussing here, and Hilary Rosen's and Ann Romney's respective places within it. God does not speak through Hilary Rosen's mealy mouth for the purpose of discrediting her sexual orientation.

hate to clue you in, but homosexuality ain't exactly the embracement of human reproduction.
[/quote]

Hate to clue you in, but 'embracement' isn't a real word, and 'motherhood' socially is not the same thing as biological reproduction. For somebody with pretenses to being a Christian, you're absurdly obsessed with the carnal.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:10 PM »

Many gays would love to be parents and achieve this by adoption or other biological means. Including Hilary Rosen. The desire to be a parent is not identical to sexual orientation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »

Aaaaaaand now this non-story is about those EVIL GAYS!!  Great thread, gentlemen.  You should all be very proud.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »

We're still talking about this?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

1) Has Ann Romney been touring the country for the last several years talking to women about their struggles and how the economy is effecting them? ? ?... Yes
2) Is she capable of relaying their messages to Mitt? ? ?... Yes
3) Did the democrats try to 'take out' Ann because they knew she would play a role in tightening the 'gender gap' ? ? ?... yes
4) Did the 'hit' backfire? ? ? ...yes
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 03:32:54 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

I've never seen it in any actual writing and I read about one book a week. Also, you were using the transitive form and I'm honestly not sure how 'to embrace' can even be intransitive.

why are you discussing correct word usage with a native Texan?  here is the link to Webster, you'll see embracement is a noun form of the word:

— embrace·able \-ˈbrā-sə-bəl\ adjective
— em·brace·ment \-ˈbrās-mənt\ noun
— em·brac·er noun
— em·brac·ing·ly \-ˈbrā-siŋ-lē\ adverb

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/embracement

Here are several examples of its usage:

http://www.wordnik.com/words/embracement

---

I'd be astonished if any of your notions about what 'the gays', perceived of course as a monolith, are like came from anything remotely resembling actual familiarity.

you'll have to forgive the bible for not bothering to parse homosexuals into different groups...but I think you'll find it also doesn't bother parsing fornicators, liars, drunkards, etc, etc, etc.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

We're still talking about this? This week's meme is canine, BTW.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 05:37:21 PM by Nathan »

I've never seen it in any actual writing and I read about one book a week. Also, you were using the transitive form and I'm honestly not sure how 'to embrace' can even be intransitive.

why are you discussing correct word usage with a native Texan?  here is the link to Webster, you'll see embracement is a noun form of the word:

intransitive verb
: to participate in an embrace

— embrace·able \-ˈbrā-sə-bəl\ adjective
— em·brace·ment \-ˈbrās-mənt\ noun
— em·brac·er noun
— em·brac·ing·ly \-ˈbrā-siŋ-lē\ adverb

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/embracement

Here are several examples of its usage:

http://www.wordnik.com/words/embracement

Oh, so it seems to be a neologism of some kind, or at least something that's used more frequently now than it used to be. I was unaware that this was a word and although it's not one that I think the English language needs or that my spell checker accepts thank you for alerting me to it.

Webster also has a kind of odd idea of what 'intransitive' means, but I suppose they can take that up with the linguists.

you'll have to forgive the bible for not bothering to parse homosexuals into different groups...but I think you'll find it also doesn't bother parsing fornicators, liars, drunkards, etc, etc, etc.
[/quote]

'Homosexuals' are a social phenomenon that didn't exist in Bible times. The Bible certainly portrays people involved in personal bonds, physical or otherwise, with people of the same sex pretty diversely.

It's also not so much that you're totalizing per se, which is a problem that everybody has, as that you're objectively wrong, perversely obsessed with other groups of people's sex lives beyond even the interest that they themselves have, and feel no desire to change any of this because you pride yourself in deliberate and aggressive ignorance wrapped in theme-park, heretical Christianity.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »

I wouldn't bother, Nathan.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »

Webster also has a kind of odd idea of what 'intransitive' means, but I suppose they can take that up with the linguists.

The transitive/intransitive divide really doesn't apply to Modern English verbs as much as it does in other languages, since there is no morphological distinction between the two categories as there are in some other languages.  It can be used intransitively, which seems to be all that Webster's cares about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies