Are you a vegetarian?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you a vegetarian?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Are you a vegetarian?
Yes

No

No, I am a vegan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Are you a vegetarian?  (Read 8388 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »

So those here that are vegetarians, what is the primary reason that caused you to become one? Health reasons or treatment of animals? Or a mix of both?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

God no.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »

The nearest four stores recommended to me by that website are a 6-8 hour drive away, three being out of state and two of those actually requiring me to cross two state borders. omgz xD

I'm always surprised by people's perceived difficulty of living without meat.  I was never a big steak guy, but I definitely enjoy the taste of meat.  What exactly is the difficulty?  Do you all not eat a wide array of food?  You don't have a substantial number of non-meat dishes you enjoy?  That's kind of hard for me to fathom.

For me one of the only factors holding me back from a vegetarian diet is how damned finicky I happen to be. As of yet I haven't discovered a palatable alternative source of complete protein.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2012, 03:53:03 PM by Alcon »

So those here that are vegetarians, what is the primary reason that caused you to become one? Health reasons or treatment of animals? Or a mix of both?

Ethical reasons...I'm skinny enough as it is.  Animals are tasty, but I'm not compelled by the ethical case for valuing human life so infinitely higher than animal life to justify eating 'em.  Honestly, I've met few people who don't concede that killing animals is an ethical grey area.  It seems odd to put taste preferences over such an ethical grey area...especially because I can't imagine why anyone with a reasonably diverse palate would be especially inconvenienced.  I don't think this is a cut-and-dry ethical issue.  I'm just surprised more people (maybe even most) aren't vegetarian.

I suppose "humane slaughter" is marginally preferable, but: 1) It doesn't address the main ethical issue; and, 2) I don't think many people are willing to put their money where their mouth is anyway.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »

No (normal omnivore)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »

I certainly have no trouble with vegetarians.  My favorite Aunt on my father's side is a vegetarian.  The only one in our family that I know.  For her, it is the ethical treatment of the animals, as well, just like it is for Alcon.  In fact, your views, Alcon, that you expressed are exactly her views, as well, save for the last paragraph.  I don't necessarily share those views, but whenever I eat dinner with her, I make sure to have some veggie alternatives, such as veggie burgers or plain cheese pizza or the like.  She has no problems with dairy, because that's not killing the animals, rather the animals are being used for their "intended purpose".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »

Ethical reasons...I'm skinny enough as it is.  Animals are tasty, but I'm not compelled by the ethical case for valuing human life so infinitely higher than animal life to justify eating 'em.  Honestly, I've met few people who don't concede that killing animals is an ethical grey area.  It seems odd to put taste preferences over such an ethical grey area...especially because I can't imagine why anyone with a reasonably diverse palate would be especially inconvenienced.  I don't think this is a cut-and-dry ethical issue.  I'm just surprised more people (maybe even most) aren't vegetarian.

I suppose "humane slaughter" is marginally preferable, but: 1) It doesn't address the main ethical issue; and, 2) I don't think many people are willing to put their money where their mouth is anyway.

It is a gray area, since obviously it is ethical for one species to kill another species for sustenance, but in our case, we can survive without eating meat. Furthermore, we are for the most part not living in hunter gatherer societies where animals provide us more "bang for the buck" so to speak. They tend to be high in proteins, but in today's society we can easily substitute that with plant products. In a hunter gatherer society you might not necessarily have that luxury as it might be too much effort to gather enough of those products, which tend to be small parts of the plants. In our society we can just run to the supermarket and grab a lot of vegetables and peas/legumes/beans and eat a balanced diet....or go to the drive-thru and get a double cheeseburger with bacon.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »

No, but like Oakvale, I don't eat much meat anyway.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »

Ethical reasons...I'm skinny enough as it is.  Animals are tasty, but I'm not compelled by the ethical case for valuing human life so infinitely higher than animal life to justify eating 'em.  Honestly, I've met few people who don't concede that killing animals is an ethical grey area.  It seems odd to put taste preferences over such an ethical grey area...especially because I can't imagine why anyone with a reasonably diverse palate would be especially inconvenienced.  I don't think this is a cut-and-dry ethical issue.  I'm just surprised more people (maybe even most) aren't vegetarian.

It is a gray area, since obviously it is ethical for one species to kill another species for sustenance, but in our case, we can survive without eating meat. Furthermore, we are for the most part not living in hunter gatherer societies where animals provide us more "bang for the buck" so to speak. They tend to be high in proteins, but in today's society we can easily substitute that with plant products. In a hunter gatherer society you might not necessarily have that luxury as it might be too much effort to gather enough of those products, which tend to be small parts of the plants. In our society we can just run to the supermarket and grab a lot of vegetables and peas/legumes/beans and eat a balanced diet....or go to the drive-thru and get a double cheeseburger with bacon.

I have to say that I'm increasingly finding the environmental argument more compelling, too.  Meat is really a major resource waste.  Trophic levels and sh**t.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »

Oh yeah, that too. Again, as someone who does eat animals but is trying to cut down on it, eating vegetarian makes a lot of sense from many angles. I just wish there was even more variety of vegetable products we could purchase here. Things like banana roots taste so, so good but I don't think I have ever seen them here. That is one thing I like about India, the vast variety of vegetarian options. All of them tasty (though many are fried so yeah).
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »

I have to say that I'm increasingly finding the environmental argument more compelling, too.  Meat is really a major resource waste.  Trophic levels and sh**t.

It was the environmental argument that did the trick for me, especially with regard to the worldwide destruction of fisheries.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »

Oh yeah, that too. Again, as someone who does eat animals but is trying to cut down on it, eating vegetarian makes a lot of sense from many angles. I just wish there was even more variety of vegetable products we could purchase here. Things like banana roots taste so, so good but I don't think I have ever seen them here. That is one thing I like about India, the vast variety of vegetarian options. All of them tasty (though many are fried so yeah).

Yeah, living on a university campus or in an urban area makes things markedly easier if you're low-income.  The suburbs are a mixed bag; around here I'm sure it's relatively easy to live vegetarian if you have a decent income, but in the Midwest, it could be annoying.  I find the "I couldn't imagine living that way!" excuse hilarious in most urban/college areas, though, except for people who are extremely finicky.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »

They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »

LMAO
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »

I'd say something critical, but I was also amused by silly anti-veg stuff like that when I was 15.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:41 AM »

Heh heh, you could always eat his turnips if you eschew the meat.

I'm suffering from a bad bought of dysentery btw, while on holiday in the Filly-pines.  So maybe I should blame meat (but I don't).
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »

No.
Yet, I find the motives of most vegetarians honorable and I hold those vegetarians in high esteem who don't try to convert carnivores with missionary zeal and don't give you the feeling that they're morally superior.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »

I'm suffering from a bad bought of dysentery btw
This is not your twitter account.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »

I'd also add that the reaction of some people to vegetarians is a bit silly. It's like some people get offended when someone doesn't eat meat. Huh

(I mean, I do agree, obviously, that smugly superior vegetarians are annoying, but they're not very common)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »

No, I delight in the pleasures of carnivory.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »

The nearest four stores recommended to me by that website are a 6-8 hour drive away, three being out of state and two of those actually requiring me to cross two state borders. omgz xD

I guess it's easier for those of us who live in metropolitan areas -I tried my zip code, and there are at least 13 stores within a five mile radius of my house that are certified by this organization. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »

No. While I accept that humans can live a vegitarian lifestyle (obviously), humans are omnivores, so I see nothing wrong with eating meat. However, it would be nice if animals were slaughtered more humanely, and lived more humanely. Also, there is the issue of its contribution to global warming... I think chicken is probably the best meat to eat. I prefer it in terms of taste, but also because chickens have been bred for consumption, and aren't the most sentient of animals. Pigs on the other hand are very intelligent animals, so it's too bad bacon is just so tasty (but I'm comforted by the fact that I don't like ham, and I'm not a big fan of pork chops).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »

I'm always surprised by people's perceived difficulty of living without meat.  I was never a big steak guy, but I definitely enjoy the taste of meat.  What exactly is the difficulty?  Do you all not eat a wide array of food?  You don't have a substantial number of non-meat dishes you enjoy?  That's kind of hard for me to fathom.

For me one of the only factors holding me back from a vegetarian diet is how damned finicky I happen to be. As of yet I haven't discovered a palatable alternative source of complete protein.

I seem to recall at least two health food stores in Kalispell.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »

Not quite, but almost. Easier that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies