Opinion of this food pyramid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:50:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of this food pyramid?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Pyramid

Horrible Pyramid

I would like to die in my 50's

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Opinion of this food pyramid?  (Read 5701 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 02:18:09 PM »

Meh, I'd just hate eating like that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »

It doesn't make sense to put whole grains and nuts/seeds in the same category.  The carb/protein/fat ratios are just too different.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2012, 03:13:13 PM by Senator Sbane »

It doesn't make sense to put whole grains and nuts/seeds in the same category.  The carb/protein/fat ratios are just too different.

Yeah, I found that a little odd as well. But if you think about it, many nuts do have a lot of unsaturated fats. While they are fine in a controlled amount, I wouldn't recommend anyone eat as much almonds as their heart desires. Although substituting it for something like chips is an excellent idea.

BRTD, I understand where you are coming from. I doubt I will ever be a complete vegetarian, but I know where most of my nutrition should come from.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »

6-11 servings of the grains/pasta?  No!  I would still be a fat. 

What do you think of the top pyramid? What kind of food do you eat since you decided to live a more healthy lifestyle?

Meat (tri tip), fish (catfish with spices on it fried in olive oil is what God eats every day), poultry (mostly turkey, lots of veggies, orange juice (I use that for my morning protein drink mix, and after I work out), and booze (that is where I get most of my sugar  Tongue).

I have my own little pyramid in short. The government has their pyramid reflecting the fashions of the day, and I have mine. Once again, I just ignore the government's good advice. I guess I am just hopelessly incorrigible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »

What do you think of the top pyramid? What kind of food do you eat since you decided to live a more healthy lifestyle?

Meat (tri tip), fish (catfish with spices on it fried in olive oil is what God eats every day), poultry (mostly turkey, lots of veggies, orange juice (I use that for my morning protein drink mix, and after I work out), and booze (that is where I get most of my sugar  Tongue).

I have my own little pyramid in short. The government has their pyramid reflecting the fashions of the day, and I have mine. Once again, I just ignore the government's good advice. I guess I am just hopelessly incorrigible.

If weed was a food it would be at the tippy top of Torie's pyramid Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »

If weed was a food it would be at the tippy top of Torie's pyramid Smiley

Weed can be in food form. Smiley Well, more like dessert. Oh and you must mean the base, not the top. Tongue

Torie, you follow the low carb diet, eh? I think that's a great way to lose weight, but I think you need to have some after the fat is gone and if you are working out a lot. Eat whole grains, avoid white bread and rice, and eat in moderation obviously and you should be fine. Fish is great too. Although there is no reason to eat animal products, they just taste so damn good, don't they?

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

Why is it propaganda? Can't the second one also be propaganda to protect the cattle and dairy industry? What are you basing this on?

Come on, nobody feels good eating all that carbohydrate and so little protein, Sbane.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »

Why is it propaganda? Can't the second one also be propaganda to protect the cattle and dairy industry? What are you basing this on?

Come on, nobody feels good eating all that carbohydrate and so little protein, Sbane.

Yes, which is why they should cut the carbs and substitute with vegetables and sugars from fruits. And instead of animal protein, they should eat legumes, beans, lentils etc.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »

Yes, which is why they should cut the carbs and substitute with vegetables and sugars from fruits. And instead of animal protein, they should eat legumes, beans, lentils etc.

Are you serious?  What are you, a vegetarian?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »

Speaking of tasty inners......no dinner update in a while.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »

Not really, and don't intend to become a "pure" one. But yes a large part of your diet should be coming from unprocessed plant sources. A little fish or turkey/chicken here or there is fine but red meat really should be cut out of the diet unless you specifically need it for some micro nutrient.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

I agree with you on red meat, as I don't recommend anyone eat it daily if they can help it. I usually stick to lean proteins like fish or chicken along with unprocessed vegetables or fruit. I eat very little bread or carbs unless its wheat on a sandwich for lunch. I also drink a lot of isolated whey protein to aid with recovery in my workout regimen.

But I can tell you from first hand experiences and from friends that legumes/lentils/beans are nice substitutes, but they hardly are replacements for animal protein IF you go any sort of strength training or lift regularly.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »

Speaking of tasty inners......no dinner update in a while.

I just ate vegetarian last night, ironically!  I was starving in the bed all night.

Not really, and don't intend to become a "pure" one. But yes a large part of your diet should be coming from unprocessed plant sources. A little fish or turkey/chicken here or there is fine but red meat really should be cut out of the diet unless you specifically need it for some micro nutrient.

Oh good lord, no way!  What you want is a lot of animal fat - like eggs, fatback/lard, fatty fishes, chicken-fat or duck, and so forth.

Fat is what the body needs.  Fat, salt, and organs, such as livers and kidneys.  Think about what the animals eat as soon as they kill the Wildebeest.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »

I agree with you on red meat, as I don't recommend anyone eat it daily if they can help it. I usually stick to lean proteins like fish or chicken along with unprocessed vegetables or fruit. I eat very little bread or carbs unless its wheat on a sandwich for lunch. I also drink a lot of isolated whey protein to aid with recovery in my workout regimen.

But I can tell you from first hand experiences and from friends that legumes/lentils/beans are nice substitutes, but they hardly are replacements for animal protein IF you go any sort of strength training or lift regularly.

Well, there is an UFC fighter who is vegan and he doesn't seem to have trouble With his protein intake. The key of course is to eat even more plant based protein. That being said if someone is active, eating some animals is just fine.

Oh good lord, no way!  What you want is a lot of animal fat - like eggs, fatback/lard, fatty fishes, chicken-fat or duck, and so forth.

Fat is what the body needs.  Fat, salt, and organs, such as livers and kidneys.  Think about what the animals eat as soon as they kill the Wildebeest.

Presumably we also need lots of trans fats in our diet?

There should be a difference in eating habits between animals who have a limited amount to eat and who have to exert themselves to get that food and contemporary humans. The reason animals eat fat is because it provides you quick calories. And our brains, including animals, are wired to love that stuff since it can save your life in the wild. Leading a sedentary lifestyle and eating that will lead to a shortened life span. And while all you have to do is exercise vigorously and you can eat that crap, many people don't have the time to do that. Diet modification seems like an easier way to go for them. Plus the moral arguments about not killing something that doesn't need to be killed and environmental concerns. But making a moral argument to you is a waste of time.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »

But making a moral argument to you is a waste of time.

You got that right!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »

You got that right!

sbane is finally getting it Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »

You got that right!

sbane is finally getting it Wink

And after all 'moral arguments' are weightless not just with me, but with everyone and in every way in the 'real world'.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »

opebo your dietary advice sounds like the prevailing wisdom of the 1950s.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »

Well, there is an UFC fighter who is vegan and he doesn't seem to have trouble With his protein intake. The key of course is to eat even more plant based protein. That being said if someone is active, eating some animals is just fine.

Oh good lord, no way!  What you want is a lot of animal fat - like eggs, fatback/lard, fatty fishes, chicken-fat or duck, and so forth.

Fat is what the body needs.  Fat, salt, and organs, such as livers and kidneys.  Think about what the animals eat as soon as they kill the Wildebeest.

Presumably we also need lots of trans fats in our diet?

There should be a difference in eating habits between animals who have a limited amount to eat and who have to exert themselves to get that food and contemporary humans. The reason animals eat fat is because it provides you quick calories. And our brains, including animals, are wired to love that stuff since it can save your life in the wild. Leading a sedentary lifestyle and eating that will lead to a shortened life span. And while all you have to do is exercise vigorously and you can eat that crap, many people don't have the time to do that. Diet modification seems like an easier way to go for them. Plus the moral arguments about not killing something that doesn't need to be killed and environmental concerns. But making a moral argument to you is a waste of time.

Haha, I knew you'd bring out the vegan body builder argument. I thought about preempting you by telling you not to, but I didn't. Tongue

Yeah, I understand it is possible, but they have to work much harder to balance their diet than say someone who isn't a vegan. Kudos to them who are able to do it, but they are not everyone.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »

Why did you decide to buff yourself up Duke?  The same reason that I did?  Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »

I prefer this pyramid:

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

Bacon King needs that as his signature, Inks ^^^^^^^^^
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »

Why did you decide to buff yourself up Duke?  The same reason that I did?  Smiley

Much of the same, actually.

Also, once my girlfriend and I split, I found myself with a lot of free time and that I had let myself get lazy physically when I was with her, so I decided to go back to the basics. I feel better and it helps clear my mind when I do get a workout in. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »

Also, once my girlfriend and I split, I found myself with a lot of free time and that I had let myself get lazy physically when I was with her, so I decided to go back to the basics. I feel better and it helps clear my mind when I do get a workout in. 

But Dukey can go sans testy shots, Torie, being the young greek punk he is  Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

Why did you decide to buff yourself up Duke?  The same reason that I did?  Smiley

It's certainly worth doing. I've added on 50lbs since I started at the gym, though I was starting from a lean position. If you need any hints or advice on workouts or diet let me know Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies