Opinion of this food pyramid? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:22:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of this food pyramid? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Pyramid

Horrible Pyramid

I would like to die in my 50's

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Opinion of this food pyramid?  (Read 5737 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: April 14, 2012, 11:32:21 PM »

Yikes if I followed the first one I would be deficient in pretty much everything. I'm already borderline iron deficient half the time and would probably do well to eat more beef not less. Not to mention the dairy being limited to twice weekly...let's throw calcium/bone problems into the mix as well.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »

Yikes if I followed the first one I would be deficient in pretty much everything. I'm already borderline iron deficient half the time and would probably do well to eat more beef not less. Not to mention the dairy being limited to twice weekly...let's throw calcium/bone problems into the mix as well.

If you are deficient in iron or calcium, you just have to eat vegetables that are high in those products. Lentils, soys, beans etc usually have these in high quantities and have a lot of protein, and in some cases fiber. There is no need for iron to only come from beef. There is no need for you to drink milk to get your calcium. The beef comes with a ton of unnecessary saturated fats. Casein in milk might increase your risk of cancer....well, that's the controversial part. In any case you should at least make sure the milk is non-fat.

I'm not going to get 2400 mg of calcium a day eating almost exclusively beans and legumes. That's not going to happen. I need to be taking a ton of supplements. The calcium I could manage decently well most of the time but probably would end up with a few more occasional stress fractures which would really suck.

If I try to get iron only from non-heme sources, I would have to a ton more of it because the absorption would go down. I point-blank refuse to ever take iron supplements again unless I am in a state of health emergency. Taking them was the worst dietary experience I have ever had.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies