Majority-Minority States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:15:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Majority-Minority States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Majority-Minority States  (Read 8932 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

As Hispanics integrate, they will be lumped more into the existing racial categories. I'm Cuban, but look indistinguishable from an Italian or Greek person. Plus, like immigration from Ireland, Italy, Germany, etc, immigration from Latin America will eventually slow, and may be doing so already.

I think this is a good point and may be one of the reasons that Hispanic/Latino is not actually considered a race but an ethnicity.  I think that Hispanic Americans are likely to begin assimilating into the culture in the same way earlier waves of European immigrants were able to.  Many people who identify as being Hispanic have virtually no outward physical characteristics to distinguish them as being such.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »

"Hispanic" is a ridiculously over-broad racial category in the US because "Mestizo" and "Mulatto" are considered to be offensive terms.
That's really strange. Eurasian is also considered offensive by some Americans. Why did those practical descriptions of people of mixed race became "offensive"?

Eurasian is offensive?  I've never heard that term used in a racial/ethnic context.  I've always heard it in a geographical context.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies