Political Assassinations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:39:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Political Assassinations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political Assassinations  (Read 5273 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2004, 07:41:37 AM »

So what do you think? in the case of terrorists such as Bin Laden and Yassin I am for them.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 02:54:13 PM »

Yes I think they're a good thing depending on the situation. It doesn't fall into one category but in the case of Saddam and Castro yes.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 05:34:25 PM »

Depends. If they're dictators and there are no better options, then sure.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 06:52:11 PM »

Yes absolutely!  I'm already making my list:

Chavez, Castro, whoever's in charge of Syria, Iran.. goes on and on.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 07:14:37 PM »

Why not every leader? I mean, none of them are Americans after all. I still think the Gustaf-Ultimate-Nuke-Plan is the best. Operation Opebo, we could call it fi you want, taht has a nice ring to it. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 07:25:28 PM »

Why not every leader? I mean, none of them are Americans after all. I still think the Gustaf-Ultimate-Nuke-Plan is the best. Operation Opebo, we could call it fi you want, taht has a nice ring to it. Tongue

Because most leaders are perfectly acceptable.  Just the ones actively working to harm the US should be offed.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 07:39:38 PM »

Because most leaders are perfectly acceptable.  Just the ones actively working to harm the US should be offed.

Really? But wouldn't it be better to be completely rid of them?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 11:36:20 PM »

A question for you Gustaf: What is a more moral way of dealing with an enemy government, assassinating the top 1 to 1000 of the ruling elite, launching a war that  kills 10X-100X as many, or establishing sanctions that fall mostly on those with little to lose and potentially could kill almost as many as a war?

Is it better to kill 10 people quietly in the night or 1000 in an explosion of fire and metal?

Assassination has acquired a ludicrously malign patina for reasons I find dubious. Personally, I suspect the reason so many governments speak out against it so strongly is because assassinations tend to target THEM, not the average citizenry, whereas in most wars the leaders find shelter while the commoners die on the battlefield. I believe the novel All Quiet on the Western Front had a point where a common soldier had the great idea that conflicts between nations could be solved by putting all the leaders of the quarreling nations in a ring, giving them weapons, and letting them fight it out. Last one standing wins the war.

As odd as it might sound, I supported assassination for humanitarian reasons even ten years ago when I was a liberal Democrat...(how times change Wink )
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 02:55:42 PM »

A question for you Gustaf: What is a more moral way of dealing with an enemy government, assassinating the top 1 to 1000 of the ruling elite, launching a war that  kills 10X-100X as many, or establishing sanctions that fall mostly on those with little to lose and potentially could kill almost as many as a war?

Is it better to kill 10 people quietly in the night or 1000 in an explosion of fire and metal?

Assassination has acquired a ludicrously malign patina for reasons I find dubious. Personally, I suspect the reason so many governments speak out against it so strongly is because assassinations tend to target THEM, not the average citizenry, whereas in most wars the leaders find shelter while the commoners die on the battlefield. I believe the novel All Quiet on the Western Front had a point where a common soldier had the great idea that conflicts between nations could be solved by putting all the leaders of the quarreling nations in a ring, giving them weapons, and letting them fight it out. Last one standing wins the war.

As odd as it might sound, I supported assassination for humanitarian reasons even ten years ago when I was a liberal Democrat...(how times change Wink )

Well, the case you're making sounds an awful lot like one where I would favour assasinations. I am constantly worrying about the West ceasing the moral highground, and that could easily happen once you start killing people. But I do think we're not that far apart on this issue.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 11:16:38 PM »

Well, the case you're making sounds an awful lot like one where I would favour assasinations. I am constantly worrying about the West ceasing the moral highground, and that could easily happen once you start killing people. But I do think we're not that far apart on this issue.

Agreed. It is always a fine line to walk in warfare, although I think the U.S. and the rest of the West have behaved extremely well, especially compared to our enemies. But we already kill people in war, so I figure this is just as moral as that is, but kills fewer people. Yep, 'ol WMS the Independent thinks political assassinations are a legitimate and even moral tool of states...now how often will you find that talked about openly? Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 08:18:21 AM »

Bin Laden wil be caught between now and November, I know it.
YoMartin
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 03:38:48 PM »

Let´s just hope not every country uses that same logic... "In the state of nature, the life of man is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short"...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 03:50:06 PM »

Bin Laden wil be caught between now and November, I know it.

Either caught or "caught".
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 04:11:31 PM »

Yes. In the case of terrorists and Saddam/Hitler/Stalin kind dictators.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies