Your 2014 Targets: (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:49:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Your 2014 Targets: (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your 2014 Targets:  (Read 4064 times)
hopper
United States

« on: April 29, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »

I think the GOP may pick up another seat or two, probably in the Northeast.

No.
Care to elaborate, or are you going to just continue sticking to short, one-word answers so frequently?

If Obama's in his second term and the economy is still down, I think Republicans could certainly get a couple pickups in an environment similar to 2010. New Hampshire for one, which could go as early as 2012. In the right circumstances, Republicans could be in a position like 2010 where they had a shot in every state up there.

All the New England seats have the potential to go R. Other than NH, CT and MA are the most likely to me; Malloy is really unpopular and Scott Brown could run for Governor if he loses this year.
Really, I thought on a couple polls on this site he was at 51% approval. I know he had a tough time early in his first several months as governor with raising taxes. He was mayor of Stamford, CT for like 15 years. 
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2012, 07:51:37 PM by hopper »

Republicans certainly don't have as much room for growth.

I'm guessing Arkansas has term-limits, so that'd be a nice pickup. I think the GOP may pick up another seat or two, probably in the Northeast.

Gubernatorial races are very hard to predict this far out, as the economy is a huge factor, as well as who the President is. Republicans could gain 4 or 5 more seats, or Democrats would win 12 or so.

If Republicans gained four or five more seats, the Democrats would be down to a record low 11 or 12 seats out of 50.  
Democrats may trend near that historic low.  A 10 to 15 state party will naturally have problems winning 25 governor-ships.  Although it is possible, but not likely.  Financial problems in traditionally blue states will continue to produce GOP governors as democrats refuse to confront math.          
The Senate should also trend this way, but it hasn't.  I'm guessing that because a Senator doesn't actually have to do anything, is why democrats fair better.    
Democrats also have a better history of nominating decent candidates. I hate saying this, but I sometimes wish we nominated Senate candidates at the state convention. We would have most likely won in Nevada, Colorado, and Delaware if so, putting us at 50 seats. That being the case, there would be no doubt the GOP would take the Senate in 2012.
No Buck was leading the whole time until the last 2 weeks before Election Day 2010. The Colorado liberal media hit him kinda hard too. He totally screwed up the question in "The Meet The Press" TV Debate with Bennet too. David Gregory asked him that question about people being gay and he was like its like achoholism. I put my hand on my head when Buck answered that question and was like are you kidding. I couldn't believe he answered that question like that. Buck got totally pissed when one of the moderators in another debate in Colorado with Bennet asked him a question about him being pro-life. You can't get mad in a debate like that in my opinion.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »

CT-5 is a definite target for the R's in my opinion. I think its winnable for the R's with the right candidate. Ditto John Garamendi's(D) seat in California. His district got alot more Republican in redistricting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies