Romney VP search begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Romney VP search begins  (Read 17452 times)
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »

What about Tom Colbert or Tom Ridge?
Maybe picking up a woman could be nice, not a conservative one, a moderate, from the South... Does anyone know a Republican like that?
Ridge would be a safe pick. He is a moderate and was Governor of Pennsylvania where Romney could sure use him to win Pa!

Southern Moderate and a Woman- Romney can make a call to Elizabeth Dole to see if she is interested for the VP slot. Romney needs to pick up North Carolina too on Election Day. She has been out of politics for a little over 3 years though. What about Illenia Ros-Lethien? She is hispanic and been in the US House for a long time I think.

Once I was playing with Mitt Romney on the Political Machine Game and I choosed Ridge as my VP.... He was pretty usefull!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

Romney/Bush vs. weak incumbent Obama would be akin to Reagan/Bush vs. weak incumbent Carter. Of course, who knows.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

Romney/Bush vs. weak incumbent Obama would be akin to Reagan/Bush vs. weak incumbent Carter. Of course, who knows.

Obama is better than Carter.

Romney is like a Rockfeller, a Gerald Ford, he isn't like Ronald Reagan. Bush Senior is better than little Jeb...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 09:59:23 PM by Politico »

The only criteria: "Do no harm."

Who does no harm? Even a remote affiliation with the Bush Administration does harm (e.g., Portman). If the choice potentially hurts the ticket among women in any way, shape or form, it does harm (e.g., McDonnell). If the choice potentially hurts the ticket among seniors in any way, shape or form, it does harm (e.g., Ryan). Any doubts about their ability to become POTUS does the ticket harm (e.g., Rubio).

This is a tough choice. Good thing there is plenty of time to mull it over.

Maybe a wildcard nobody has heard of like Matt Mead, the Governor of Wyoming? But then you fall into the same trap set for Rubio.

Why not Mike Huckabee? Everybody likes the Huckster.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »

There's no perfect pick.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:59 PM »

Again, I'm strong for Kelly Ayotte of NH.  She'll bring home that state, which if the race is close, would put Romney over the top.  Also, she is not a Sarah Palin and will help lots with young voters and females.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »

The only criteria: "Do no harm."

Who does no harm? Even a remote affiliation with the Bush Administration does harm (e.g., Portman). If the choice potentially hurts the ticket among women in any way, shape or form, it does harm (e.g., McDonnell). If the choice potentially hurts the ticket among seniors in any way, shape or form, it does harm (e.g., Ryan). Any doubts about their ability to become POTUS does the ticket harm (e.g., Rubio).

This is a tough choice. Good thing there is plenty of time to mull it over.

Maybe a wildcard nobody has heard of like Matt Mead, the Governor of Wyoming? But then you fall into the same trap set for Rubio.

Why not Mike Huckabee? Everybody likes the Huckster.
Wouldn't be a bad choice, but I don't think him and Romney get along and I think he might be moving on from politics. Besides, he isn't in sync with the Republicans economic policies.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

Plus, Huckabee could upstage Romney. Had Huckabee decided to run this time around, he probably would've beaten Mitt pretty handily. The Romney-Huckabee ticket would just create a strange dynamic. Too many people would be thinking their order on the ticket should be reversed.

I still stand by Martinez as the best pick. If she accepts.

Palin was inexperienced, sure. But that's not what made her a liability--her interviews and lack of knowledge did that. Martinez is so different.

And actually... the more I look at videos of her, the more and more I think Martinez could be America's first female president.
milhouse24
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »

If I were Jeb, I wouldn't wait 4 years to run for president in 2016.  A lot can happen in life, and there are certainly no guarantees if you wait, look what happened to Hillary.  He would be 64 and his health may decline.  So Jeb should accept VP if offered.  The media can make all the judgements, but I don't think any other VP can deliver on experience, hispanic voters, swing states, and media savvy. 

I also think Ohio and Florida will be very difficult to take from Obama.  He has a lot of influence in the midwest.  He also has a lot of popularity with hispanics in Florida.  On his own, Romney can probably do better in Ohio, so he will definitely need help from a VP to win Florida. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »

Really? I think Florida will be easier for him.

Actually, to me, it almost seems like PA and OH have switched roles. Just looking at things now, I think Romney has a better chance in Pennsylvania than Ohio.

Romney can win Pennsylvania and Florida on his own merits in close races. Ohio might not be so easy. Of course, picking a Jeb or Rubio figure might lock in Florida rather than leaving it to chance, which would be nice. So I guess we ask ourselves: Does he want to secure Florida, or does he want to open up another state to a 50/50 chance instead of a 55-45 one?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »

Actually, to me, it almost seems like PA and OH have switched roles. Just looking at things now, I think Romney has a better chance in Pennsylvania than Ohio.

Romney can win Pennsylvania and Florida on his own merits in close races. Ohio might not be so easy. Of course, picking a Jeb or Rubio figure might lock in Florida rather than leaving it to chance, which would be nice. So I guess we ask ourselves: Does he want to secure Florida, or does he want to open up another state to a 50/50 chance instead of a 55-45 one?

Nope. http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/04/obama-doing-well-in-florida.html
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »

This is why playing the swing state game in VP selection doesn't work.

Work to create the strongest possible ticket overall and that is how the VP will "help" in swing states.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »

If you look at all the polls together, I still think Romney's chances in "the big three" look like this: FLORIDA > PENNSYLVANIA > OHIO.

Nope. http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/04/obama-doing-well-in-florida.html
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »

I'm beginning to think that Bobby Jindal would indeed be the best pick.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »

I'm beginning to think that Bobby Jindal would indeed be the best pick.

Glad to see I'm not alone. Smiley
milhouse24
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »

This is why playing the swing state game in VP selection doesn't work.

Work to create the strongest possible ticket overall and that is how the VP will "help" in swing states.

That is why I still think Jeb Bush gives him the best ticket overall, at least according to polls indicating that Romney-Bush can beat Obama.  I don't really see any other VP candidate having as much success against Obama.  If Romney wants to win then he will most likely pick Jeb.  There are some other 'safe' choices that will help Romney keep it close but still lose.  I don't see Portman being that strong and it might even make Romney look too desperate in only going after Ohio while ignoring the South and Florida voters.  As least by picking Jeb, it will give a vote of confidence that he is picking the most competent person available, and he doesn't care how much the liberal media hates Jeb.  It will also be the liberal media that will focus the talk about the Bush past, and ignore Obama's past 4 years, and neglect the more important talk about the future.  Of course voters don't want the media to focus on the past, they want to focus on the future.  Romney-Bush probably talks about a better future than Obama-Biden.  At least Romney can talk about bringing prosperity back to Americans, while Obama talks about Americans living averagely in a shiny peaceful world. 
milhouse24
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »

thats the best thing could happen. romney-bush 2012

obama2012

Exactly, Jeb on the ticket would automatically guarantee Florida, and losing Florida will make it very difficult for Obama to win.  If they attack Jeb's family, then his wife will speak espanol to all the hispanics about Obama being anti-spanish and hating mexicans.  I can really see Jeb being a victim if they go after his family in such a personal way, and it would offend his wife.  Of course, it would be weird to have a Mexican-born wife in the executive office, but I can see a lot of hispanics rallying around Bush to protect his family from personal attacks. 

Most of the other VP options are small time politicians who won't carry the confidence of the nation.  If you want to be a dragon slayer, you have the compete against the best.  Obama beat senior citizen McCain but I don't think he can beat a Bush.  It would be an epically legendary campaign that would be very close.  It won't be as epic as Gore-Bush, but close. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »

thats the best thing could happen. romney-bush 2012

obama2012

Exactly, Jeb on the ticket would automatically guarantee Florida, and losing Florida will make it very difficult for Obama to win.  If they attack Jeb's family, then his wife will speak espanol to all the hispanics about Obama being anti-spanish and hating mexicans.  I can really see Jeb being a victim if they go after his family in such a personal way, and it would offend his wife.  Of course, it would be weird to have a Mexican-born wife in the executive office, but I can see a lot of hispanics rallying around Bush to protect his family from personal attacks.  

Most of the other VP options are small time politicians who won't carry the confidence of the nation.  If you want to be a dragon slayer, you have the compete against the best.  Obama beat senior citizen McCain but I don't think he can beat a Bush.  It would be an epically legendary campaign that would be very close.  It won't be as epic as Gore-Bush, but close.  

Has anyone polled Romney/Jeb in Florida? Is is large enough that a Romey/Jeb ticket without the usual election shenanigans would to better than a Romney/not a Floridan ticket with the shenanigans?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2012, 12:01:20 AM »

The thing about Jeb is, he'd be far-and-away the best pick, if it wasn't for his last name.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »

I thought Romney/Bush was polled in Florida and it made virtually no difference. Obama had a narrow lead either way.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »

The thing about Jeb is, he'd be far-and-away the best pick, if it wasn't for his last name.

Jeb would never have become governor of Florida in the first place if it weren't for his last name.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »

Americans will never vote for another Bush.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »

Jeb would never have become governor of Florida in the first place if it weren't for his last name.
Maybe not, we will never know. But its hard to deny that unlike his elder brother he actually has real leadership qualities and significant political skills. 
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »

Maybe not, we will never know. But its hard to deny that unlike his elder brother he actually has real leadership qualities and significant political skills. 
Hard to say that a man elected President of the United States twice doesn't have real leadership qualities...
milhouse24
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »

Do you mean the time he lost in Florida as well?  Or just the times that he won?  He's not popular in Florida?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies