Romney VP search begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:59:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Romney VP search begins  (Read 17463 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »

Christie is abrasive and arrogant, we don't need that for our ticket.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »

Mitch Daniels? Tim Pawlenty? As for lesser-knowns... John Thune? Bob Corker? Most likely Portman. It's not gonna be Jindal, not Rubio, not Christie, not Jeb, not Huckabee, not McDonnell. You need to restore people's faith in the GOP VP nominee vetting process after 2008, and Thune, Corker, Daniels, Pawlenty, and Portman all seem like safe, known qualities, which is most likely what Romney's looking for.
Fargobison

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »

He is brash, no doubt about that but he brings some energy to the ticket and people seem to like his style. He isn't my first choice but I'd take him before the boring middle aged white guys like Portman or Thune.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »

He is brash, no doubt about that but he brings some energy to the ticket and people seem to like his style. He isn't my first choice but I'd take him before the boring middle aged white guys like Portman or Thune.

"Boring" is an asset to Romney, who doesn't really posses an energetic personality to begin with. He doesn't want to be overshadowed by his VP like Bentsen did to Dukakis.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »

Kelly Ayotte.  She'd bring home New Hampshire, perhaps NJ, and make Connecticut close.  And she'd help with the youth vote and women nationwide.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »

Kelly Ayotte.  She'd bring home New Hampshire, perhaps NJ, and make Connecticut close.  And she'd help with the youth vote and women nationwide.

I doubt that Romney would pick a New England running mate. It might annoy Southerners to some degree.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »

Jeb Bush is a solid pick, even though his name is Bush.

Intelligent, capable, from the south, speaks Spanish, brings in Florida.

He would dearly love to become an integral part of the Romney Era about to commence in January, 2013.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 11:45:43 PM »

I still think Jindal is the one. People who aren't political junkies don't remember/care about a STOU response in 2009. It won't be an issue. Also he is a socially-conservative Southerner and Indian-American to boot. I know it shouldn't matter, but I can't escape the feeling that Romney will need a woman or minority to contrast with Obama. The only "conventional" choice I can see is Rob Portman. I don't think his ties to Bush will be an issue. In 2008, yes, but not now.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »

I still think Jindal is the one. People who aren't political junkies don't remember/care about a STOU response in 2009. It won't be an issue. Also he is a socially-conservative Southerner and Indian-American to boot. I know it shouldn't matter, but I can't escape the feeling that Romney will need a woman or minority to contrast with Obama. The only "conventional" choice I can see is Rob Portman. I don't think his ties to Bush will be an issue. In 2008, yes, but not now.

As a budget director it probably still could. Fair enough if it was some trivial link to Bush, but people like him and Rice would be hammered for the Bush administration.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »

I doubt that Romney would pick a New England running mate. It might annoy Southerners to some degree.

I doubt it.  Outside of one's home state, people don't seem to care much about what region running mates come from anymore.  I'd bet a substantial number of voters don't even know what states the candidates are from.

There are definitely reasons for not picking Ayotte, but "She's from New England" seems like the least important.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 01:41:01 AM »

I doubt it.  Outside of one's home state, people don't seem to care much about what region running mates come from anymore.  I'd bet a substantial number of voters don't even know what states the candidates are from.

There are definitely reasons for not picking Ayotte, but "She's from New England" seems like the least important.

It's a strike against her, but it doesn't completely rule her out.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »

It won't be a governor or ex-governor.  Romney is not going to want someone who would cause voters to be reminded that he was the governor of Romneycare.  It'll probably be a Senator, as House members generally don't have much credibility anyway, and the way the House has been acting these past two years, I'm doubtful you could find a House Republican who would help much with getting the Independents in the middle to vote GOP.    Given the narrative, I think he'll pick someone who has reasonable credibility on the budget issues without being too controversial, so even if he picked a Representative it won't be Ryan.  None of the few Republican big-city mayors  seem to offer anything a Senator would not.  I don't see Romney as having any reason to think outside the box by picking a businessman.  However, and especially if the Iran situation goes hot before the convention, I could see him picking someone with a military background as his running mate.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 06:51:13 AM »

I think it will probably be McDonnell.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »

I would love if he picked Chris Christie. I'd really root for him then. Christie's an asshole but is ridiculously refreshing to me. He just seems to say it as it is. Not sure if that would work on a national scale to attract swing voters though. If not Christie then Mitch Daniels. He's disliked by the jmfcsts but he doesn't discuss social issues, which the swing voters will like, and he'd turn education into an issue republicans can take advantage of.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »

Why are all the pundits so convinced it'll be Rob Portman?  Isn't he unpopular in Ohio?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

Why are all the pundits so convinced it'll be Rob Portman?  Isn't he unpopular in Ohio?

He's from Ohio (swing state), so Romney wants that. He was director of the Office of Management and Budget, which reinforces their economic as opposed to social message with the voters. And he's not a loose cannon and is unlikely to cause any issues.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »

And he's the most boring white man you'll ever meet.
milhouse24
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »

He's from Ohio (swing state), so Romney wants that. He was director of the Office of Management and Budget, which reinforces their economic as opposed to social message with the voters. And he's not a loose cannon and is unlikely to cause any issues.

Portman is the "SAFEST" choice in "do no harm" with a decent upside if he can bring in enough voters to win Ohio.  However, He's not a strong choice to guarantee Ohio because he's a new Senator and not as popular in Ohio as you need to win the state. 

The other VP possibilities all carry High Risk, with very little electoral upside.  The only risk for Portman is how much dirt the liberal media can tie him to with the Bush White House.  If they can tie him to some budget fiascos, then Portman is sunk as VP.

It is interesting thought that a lot of media pundits and liberals are talking up Portman, probably because he is such an obvious choice.  But another reason to talk him up in the media, is to see how he does with the Spotlight on him, and see what dirt bloggers can dig up.  He's still nationally unknown, and reporters are now seeing him as a valuable candidate for VP. 

If Portman survives the media spotlight for the next couple of months, without any past scandals, he will probably be the VP choice.  If the Portman possibility improves the Romney Poll Numbers in Ohio, then it will almost guarantee him the VP. 

I agree that the 2nd strongest choice on paper would be Jeb.  He's far more popular among republicans and indepedent catholics than portman, and he has no obvious scandals, besides his drug addict children. 
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »

What helps with Ayotte is that she relieves pro-lifers of Romney's conversion to their cause. She did after all bring planned parenthood to court as Attorney General.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

Portman is the "SAFEST" choice in "do no harm" with a decent upside if he can bring in enough voters to win Ohio.  However, He's not a strong choice to guarantee Ohio because he's a new Senator and not as popular in Ohio as you need to win the state. 

The other VP possibilities all carry High Risk, with very little electoral upside.  The only risk for Portman is how much dirt the liberal media can tie him to with the Bush White House.  If they can tie him to some budget fiascos, then Portman is sunk as VP.

It is interesting thought that a lot of media pundits and liberals are talking up Portman, probably because he is such an obvious choice.  But another reason to talk him up in the media, is to see how he does with the Spotlight on him, and see what dirt bloggers can dig up.  He's still nationally unknown, and reporters are now seeing him as a valuable candidate for VP. 

If Portman survives the media spotlight for the next couple of months, without any past scandals, he will probably be the VP choice.  If the Portman possibility improves the Romney Poll Numbers in Ohio, then it will almost guarantee him the VP. 

I agree that the 2nd strongest choice on paper would be Jeb.  He's far more popular among republicans and indepedent catholics than portman, and he has no obvious scandals, besides his drug addict children. 

Portman isn't popular, but he's bland, and after Sarah, what they want is bland. As for Jeb Bush, the issue with him has been highlighted.
ajb
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »

Portman isn't popular, but he's bland, and after Sarah, what they want is bland. As for Jeb Bush, the issue with him has been highlighted.

I think Bland White Guy is probably what Romney will go for -- it is after all the key demographic for the Republican Party, and no presidential candidate wants someone who will upstage him, seem more exciting than him, or highlight his weaknesses.

My free advice for Romney? Pick someone who grew up in a working-class family.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »

I think Bland White Guy is probably what Romney will go for -- it is after all the key demographic for the Republican Party, and no presidential candidate wants someone who will upstage him, seem more exciting than him, or highlight his weaknesses.

Which means Portman or Ryan.
ajb
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »

Which means Portman or Ryan.

Looked them up on Wikipedia (I know...). Ryan's family's construction business has been around for four generations. Portman's father was a successful entrepreneur, successful enough to send his son to a private day school, and then to Dartmouth. Neither is really that working-class.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »

Rubio and Martinez apparently both came from working-class backgrounds.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »

Grey-collar should be sufficient, and at any rate the narrative is more important. (Obama doesn't qualify under the purist blue-collar label either. Nor was/is it relevant.) Both of them have the narrative.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies