BREAKING NEWS: Mitt, Ann Romney caught being real
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:09:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  BREAKING NEWS: Mitt, Ann Romney caught being real
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Mitt, Ann Romney caught being real  (Read 1634 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:43 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/us/politics/aides-play-down-romneys-comments-on-tax-changes-for-wealthy.html
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/16/schumer-calls-romney-comments-candor-gaffe

Senior advisers to Mitt Romney said Monday that Mr. Romney, the presumptive Republican nominee for president, was merely tossing around ideas, not making policy announcements, when his chat with donors about some significant changes to the tax code was overheard by reporters at a fund-raiser this weekend.

Mr. Romney, for instance, remarked that Fox News was watched by “true believers,” and that the Republican Party needed to broaden its appeal to women and independents, according to NBC. And Mrs. Romney said that she “loved” the fallout generated when a Democratic political operative said that Mrs. Romney had “never worked a day in her life.”

"I'm going to take a lot of departments in Washington, and agencies, and combine them. Some eliminate, but I'm probably not going to lay out just exactly which ones are going to go," he said, according to a report by NBC News. The Department of Housing and Urban Development "might not be around later, and the Department of Education would be "a heck of a lot smaller," he said, according to The Wall Street Journal.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »

The editorializing in the NYT article is hilarious, especially how it insistently refers to tax *increases* as "tax changes for the wealthy."
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »

There's a lot of debate regarding the context of some things, especially what Ann Romney said. Some said she meant that she was glad she got to discuss what she did as a mother.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:45:32 AM »

Yeah, we should trust the NYT. I'm sure they'd be objective about something a Republican presidential nominee said.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »

Yeah, we should trust the NYT. I'm sure they'd be objective about something a Republican presidential nominee said.

Any candidate with supporters who reject the NY Times as a news outlet must be soundly defeated if this nation is to have any sort of chance.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

How is the NYT worse than FoX Propaganda Channel, a/j/a GOP Pravda?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:37:36 AM »

Actually this sort of talk is his only chance, no?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:07 AM »

"Some eliminate, but I'm probably not going to lay out just exactly which ones are going to go," he said, according to a report by NBC News. The Department of Housing and Urban Development "might not be around later, and the Department of Education would be "a heck of a lot smaller," he said, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The quote given in the Washington Post is “Things like Housing and Urban Development, which my dad was head of, that might not be around later.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/mitt-romney-at-private-fundraiser-i-might-eliminate-hud/2012/04/16/gIQA5QuKLT_blog.html

Which is interesting, because Nixon reportedly nominated George Romney to be his Secretary of HUD because he wanted to punish him for not releasing his delegates at the 1968 convention, and HUD was seen as not very prestigious:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-stump/102722/will-mitts-budget-ax-have-oedipal-complex
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »

The choice of words and editing in this article is very sketchy... I saw WaPo's article on this before and Romney was saying things that would not jive with a wider audience on the right- tax increases for the wealthy, closing loopholes, reaching out to minorities. The way the NYT puts it is undeniably a distortion. I've given up on the WSJ editorial page. I don't want to give on the whole NYT.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:03:40 AM »

Random thought of the day: We need a Reddit-type rule against people using the term "BREAKING NEWS"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies