Most Impressive statewide landslides (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:02:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most Impressive statewide landslides (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most Impressive statewide landslides  (Read 8674 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: April 17, 2012, 01:09:55 AM »

You've gotta respect a candidate who wins in a landslide, no matter what party they claim. it's just something about that overwhelming victory that puts you in awe of them and makes you wonder how they did it. Here are, in my opinion, some of the most impressive gubernatorial or senatorial landslides in recent history.

2006 Tennessee Governor's race: Just two years after Bush trounced Kerry here, Democratic incumbent Phil Bredesen won reelection with 69% of the vote. His opponent didn't even win a single county. This bucked Tennessee's fast Rep. trend.
Why it's impressive- Like I said, since the Clinton era, Tennessee has been trending R really really fast. It's also impressive that Bredesen won all the staunchly R eastern counties.

2010 Arkansas Governor's Race- Mike Beebe, a democrat, won in a landslide here, despite Blanche Lincoln's crushing defeat. He also won every county in the state.
Why it's impressive-Blanche Lincoln suffered one of the worst defeats of any Senatorial incumbent, and R's picked up several of the state's congressional districts. It appears that a huge number of Arkansas voters split their ticket that year.

2000 Georgia special senate election-This has been the last of the Georgia democrat landslides. Zell Miller won a special senate election by over 20 points.
Why it's impressive- Many think of Zell as a DINO, but 2000 was way before he made his remarks at the 2004 GOP convention. He was very much a democrat then, and while a win isn't unexpected, such a landslide victory isn't.

2010 Arizona Senate election. McCain won his race by 24 points.
Why it's impressive- McCain faced a very serious primary challenger who was leading him in the polls at one point. He came back to win his party's nomination and win BIG. I guess there was no loser aftertaste on him.

2010 Nevada Senate Election- Reid won against Angle by 6 points
Why it's impressive- I know a 6 point win isn't impressive, but the margin by which he beat Sharron Angle is. In the days leading up to the election, Angle had a slight lead in the polls, and practically everybody was predicting an incredibly tight race- one for the record books. Yet Reid came from behind and won comfortably. A landslide in its own right.

2006 California Governor's race- Schwarzennegger got 56% of the vote and won by 18 points.
Why it's impressive- Ok, did anybody really take Ahnold seriously when he first ran in 2003? The idea of a bodybuilder/action star winning any election was laughable at first. To me, his landslide reelection proved even more spectacular and proved his popularity as a politician.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies