Gun owners?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Gun owners?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Gun owners?  (Read 8979 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 07:22:22 AM »

Oh yes.

The 24 Inch Pythons.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »

Charter Arms 44 Bulldog Special.  2" Barrell
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 03:23:21 PM by Redalgo »

Air pump, Model 880 Daisy .177 - mine has no scope and no purpose now that killing vermin seems brutish to me.

Bolt action, Model 34 Remington .22 with a tubular magazine, manufactured sometime between 1932 and 1935.

I haven't bothered to get anything heavier since there are four or five other guns in the family that at some point or another will come into my care. I probably will not keep all of them though, seeing as I strongly dislike the more solid kick of the 7mm and 20-gauge, do not hunt anymore, and have no need for a pistol. The bolt action, Model 700 CDL Remington .243 is probably worth hanging onto though since it's got more nostalgic value for me and the other guns could not slow down - much less fell - a bear or mountain lion if my life depended on it while out in the back country.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 11:07:55 AM by consigliere jmfcst »

Winchester Defender 12 gauge (for killing people)

---

A Beretta 92FS 9mm  (for killing people)

---

A Glock 36 .45ACP  (for killing people - this is what I carry in my car)

---

I bought my son a Walther P22 (.22)  (for terrorizing wildlife)

---

Remington .270 with a composite stock (which kicks like a mule...used for killing game like deer and hogs)

---

I also own many different English translations of the bible (used for knowledge unto salvation)

Redalgo
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »

What kind of game do y'all got down there in Texas, jmfcst? I've taken antelope before but never had much luck with elk or deer in these parts - though there are certainly plenty of them around. The whitetails keep down low in the valleys whereas the mulies seem to prefer staying up high with the mountain goats and such. I never really went after the moose, wolves, or black bears around here but anyway, I'm curious because I'd never spent enough time down there to know what kind of critters are around. By the hogs I'm guessing you mean javelinas, but are they any good eating? Also, what about pheasants? You've got a perfectly good shotgun! If you're going to hunt, don't reserve that for people! Smile
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »

I own a Finnish made Tikka T3 hunting rifle. I suppose I would own a hand gun if it was legal in my country.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »

Any one here own a firearm? I recently bought a Ruger SP101 Double Action .357 and am taking it to the range tomorrow to get comfy with it...

I've always liked revolvers...simple and effective if God forbid it was ever needed for self defense

How about you?

Ruger makers high quality firearms at modest prices.

Suggest you get your revolver a gunsmith to check the pull weighs - both single and double action (which are notoriously high on Rugers), and consider Pachmayr grips.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »

I may at some point get a vintage military weapon, but it would probably be deactivated. I don't trust klutzy Snowstalker with guns.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »

Has anyone of you ever taken part in a MMPI test ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

Because that's what you need to pass at the psychologist here in Austria (together with another stress-management-test), after which you can apply for the 2 gun licenses needed to posess and carry a weapon. You need be 21 years of age though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

My mention of Trayvon was to point out that the three conditions outlined- if answered no- does not keep one safe. Random acts of violence happen all the time
Mostly because he forgot to list the fourth condition - "are you a young Black (or rezervation Native or some of the groups summarized as Hispanic, to be fair) male"? Oh, and obviously there are certain jobs etc that you might add.

I have no issue with gun ownership personally, but objective security is not, with a few exceptions, a valid argument for it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »

I bought my son a Walther P22 (.22)  (for terrorizing wildlife)

They have handguns for "hunting" now? 
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »

It's a .22 (for hunting rodents).
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »

Has anyone of you ever taken part in a MMPI test ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

Because that's what you need to pass at the psychologist here in Austria (together with another stress-management-test), after which you can apply for the 2 gun licenses needed to posess and carry a weapon. You need be 21 years of age though.

I have never taken any parts of that test and had been using guns for at least five years prior to what would have been legal in Austria. It wouldn't surprise me if I'd fail to pass it though! xD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 03:55:50 PM by IDS Legislator Kalwejt »

I admit I like shooting targets, but I'm doing it with an airgun. I don't want a firearm.

Oh, I'm also owning a longbow Tongue
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »

I own a CZ82 thats a fun little gun to go shoot with.

And a 8mm Turkish Mauser rifle, that will make an excellent hunting rifle if I go out this fall.
Plus a 22 rifle and an unbuilt Romanian AK.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »

This baby has gotten me out of some hot spots for fifteen years:

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »

Self defense- in case of home invasion
That is why I have always owned a gun

Why not an alarm system? I think that would scare off home invaders...Also I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where this is a huge concern although crime can happen anywhere. Anyways right now my only possession a thief may want is my iphone and my laptop, which is a basic one that cost me $450 (though with a i3 core processor). Later if I have a house and actual possessions, maybe the threat will be more.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »

I have a question for the hunters here. Do you eat what you shoot, or do you kill for fun?
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »

While I was still hunting the meat was always consumed and the hides usually tanned.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »

While I was still hunting the meat was always consumed and the hides usually tanned.

Okay, I wonder what the case is with the others.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »

I have an aesthetic distaste for guns, and have never owned one, and never will.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 09:37:15 PM by opebo »

Why would some one commit any crime? Maybe for money- maybe for violence or sex... who knows

The violence is inherent in the system, as they say.  

I don't own one, but will some day.  

What's the hold up?  Still on probation?

As for me, I would think that a shotgun would be better for murdering people, as they are more difficult to identify via 'ballistics'.  Though I would prefer a more creative (and less noisy) method.  Poisons seem very nice, though I guess they're unreliable.  I liked that pressurized-gas bolt-shooting thing that the guy on No Country For Old Men had, but you have to get awfully close to the bastard.  I guess it comes down to you have to somehow get a gun that's not connected to you in any way - but I also guess that's still pretty possible to do in the Bad Place, no?

(btw, jmfcst, I know you're planning on using all those weapons to kill uprising blacks and Hispanics, but the only people one really ever needs to kill in the real world are 1-spouse, 2-lover, 3-close relatives, 4-business partners)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 11:13:49 PM »

Okay, I wonder what the case is with the others.
I don't hunt, but I've known, literally dozens of them in my time and not a single one of them hunted "for the sport of it".  In fact, most of them go out of their way to share their sausages with you.  I know the sport hunter guy exist, but I'm guessing the vast majority of them give the meat away (often to places that get the meat to poor people who need it).  It's illegal to say, kill a deer and just leave it in the woods.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »

It's illegal to say, kill a deer and just leave it in the woods.

That's interesting. I didn't know that.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 12:09:23 AM »

I would add, incidentally, that a lot of the hunters are also conservationists who understand that over-harvesting would cheat future generations of having the same opportunities they've had in the outdoors. My feelings on the matter are rather mixed at this point. The killing is unnecessary and deeply offends me in some respects yet at the same time human beings have become a part of the natural balance struck between predators and prey in many environments. Populations of some species can explode until there is not enough food to go around and/or diseases begin to easily spread. Whether it is true I cannot really say for certain but the prevailing attitude in these parts is that, if it is allowed in moderation, hunting benefits both the hunters and helps keep the populations of game animals healthy. I can't bring myself to kill anymore but maybe others should.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies