Gun owners? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:18:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Gun owners? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gun owners?  (Read 9066 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »

Any one here own a firearm? I recently bought a Ruger SP101 Double Action .357 and am taking it to the range tomorrow to get comfy with it...

I've always liked revolvers...simple and effective if God forbid it was ever needed for self defense

How about you?

Ruger makers high quality firearms at modest prices.

Suggest you get your revolver a gunsmith to check the pull weighs - both single and double action (which are notoriously high on Rugers), and consider Pachmayr grips.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

I bought my son a Walther P22 (.22)  (for terrorizing wildlife)

They have handguns for "hunting" now? 

Arizona has had special seasons for hunting javelinas limited to magnum handguns and bow/arrow for decades.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »

I have a question for the hunters here. Do you eat what you shoot, or do you kill for fun?

Also, meat in excess of that which can be conveniently stored/consumed by hunters in my area (most venison) is donated to the food bank.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »

I bought my son a Walther P22 (.22)  (for terrorizing wildlife)

They have handguns for "hunting" now? 

Arizona has had special seasons for hunting javelinas limited to magnum handguns and bow/arrow for decades.
I'm sure the peccaries appreciate being shot with magnums instead of rifles during those times.

Hunting a Javelina with a centerfire rifle requires little skill, whereas using a magnum handgun does require the hunter to both be far closer to the game, and have greater aiming skill.

So, an average hunter is far less likely to suceed with a magnum handgun than with a centerfire rifle. 

That means the Javelina have better survival chances during the special hunting season.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2012, 07:09:26 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

why use a gun that's harder to aim?  I don't get it.

A rifle is required by law to have a barrel length of at least 16 inches and an overall length of at least 24", so it has a longer sight radius, which results in greater ease in aiming.

Mangum centerfire pistols used for hunting typically have barrel lengths of 5 to 9 inches, and hence a shorter sight radius.

This requires one to approach game at a closer distance to obtain a good shot.

Its a matter of skill (not alerting the game).

Doesn't require much skill to pot a Javelina from 100 yards away with a good bolt action centerfire rifle.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies