Your opinion of this person?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:27:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your opinion of this person?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of this person?
FF
HP
Liar
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your opinion of this person?  (Read 18649 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2012, 04:34:07 AM »

true equality is undesirable and impossible because of our natural differences in talents and preferences. it is also clearly a totally subjective concept that can not be totally measured objectively. that obviously does not mean that i disagree with the modern consensus of providing the poor with access to say, public/subsidized healthcare and education and the ideal of equal treatment under the law. just that i think it is potentially tyrannical not to mention destructive to the majority to attempt to impose 'equality' beyond those bare minimum levels.

I don't believe in "true equality" either... I don't think many people do. But everyone is equal in some terms, as even Hobbes pointed out, because everyone has the potential to kill another person (personally, through machinations/conspiracy with others etc.). What I'm saying is, the lesser the gap between the top and bottom of society the better, because a highly hierachial order inevitably breeds conflict.

You don't think that constantly forcing people to conform to a societal structure you decided was ideal is something that would breed conflict? More specifically, you don't think that defining all resources as potentially belonging to anyone, i.e. everyone having a claim to everything is something that breeds conflict?

What do you mean exactly? I'm citing the argument that more equal societies tend to be happier, Sweden being a good case in point.

But that's not true indefinitely. Sweden is still a fundamentally capitalist society. And equality is not exogenous either. If you're forcing it through heavy intervention that in itself is a source for conflict.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2012, 04:57:49 AM »

true equality is undesirable and impossible because of our natural differences in talents and preferences. it is also clearly a totally subjective concept that can not be totally measured objectively. that obviously does not mean that i disagree with the modern consensus of providing the poor with access to say, public/subsidized healthcare and education and the ideal of equal treatment under the law. just that i think it is potentially tyrannical not to mention destructive to the majority to attempt to impose 'equality' beyond those bare minimum levels.

I don't believe in "true equality" either... I don't think many people do. But everyone is equal in some terms, as even Hobbes pointed out, because everyone has the potential to kill another person (personally, through machinations/conspiracy with others etc.). What I'm saying is, the lesser the gap between the top and bottom of society the better, because a highly hierachial order inevitably breeds conflict.

You don't think that constantly forcing people to conform to a societal structure you decided was ideal is something that would breed conflict? More specifically, you don't think that defining all resources as potentially belonging to anyone, i.e. everyone having a claim to everything is something that breeds conflict?

What do you mean exactly? I'm citing the argument that more equal societies tend to be happier, Sweden being a good case in point.

But that's not true indefinitely. Sweden is still a fundamentally capitalist society. And equality is not exogenous either. If you're forcing it through heavy intervention that in itself is a source for conflict.

I know it's capitalist. I never said what I was supporting wasn't, it's simply a managed form of capitalism.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »

and I just got moderated for "hatefulness" for what was clearly not a racist comment, unless lief and marokai hate them some blacks... this site is out of control.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies