Politico: Allen West a likely presidential candidate in 2016 or 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:35:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Allen West a likely presidential candidate in 2016 or 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: Allen West a likely presidential candidate in 2016 or 2020?  (Read 5281 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/charlie-mahtesian/2012/04/west-most-likely-to-run-for-president-120823.html
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

Yes- I would probably back him for the GOP nomination but boy... he vs Hillary would be a tough choice!
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »

Allen West was a teacher at my high school. He taught history for one year before going back to war. He felt uncomfortable due to the large proportion of Muslim kids in the class. Anyways, his rhetoric is absolutely appalling towards his fellow congressmen and entire segments of the society. He seems to forget rhetoric he uses would have been used against him had he been running for office a couple of decades ago simply for him being black.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »

I'm blown away at how so many are under the impression that these Tea Party-fueled people will still be around 4 years from now. Much like the Obama people, they surged until they got their members elected and have now fluttered away in the wind. Shifting demographics also make it far less likely to see someone like West elected in 2016.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Allen West gone after November if the new 18th resembles the old 22nd. I've heard it's more Republican but the only reason he got into office was a combination of the national climate and the fact that FL-22 was the most expensive House battle of the cycle.

Yes- I would probably back him for the GOP nomination but boy... he vs Hillary would be a tough choice!

Come back to our side! You know Saxby oughta be flinched.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:34:20 AM »

The people who think that Allen West would be a viable presidential candidate need to have their head examined.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:42:26 AM »

I'm blown away at how so many are under the impression that these Tea Party-fueled people will still be around 4 years from now. Much like the Obama people, they surged until they got their members elected and have now fluttered away in the wind. Shifting demographics also make it far less likely to see someone like West elected in 2016.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Allen West gone after November if the new 18th resembles the old 22nd. I've heard it's more Republican but the only reason he got into office was a combination of the national climate and the fact that FL-22 was the most expensive House battle of the cycle.

Come back to our side! You know Saxby oughta be flinched.
Saxby is my least favorite politician active today- I would vote for Kucinich over Saxby Chambliss
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »

Why do people want Allen West to be president? Has he done anything other than make inflammatory remarks?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »

Why do people want Allen West to be president? Has he done anything other than make inflammatory remarks?
Provided exceptional service to his nation in combat and takes the mentality of a platoon commander to the halls of Congress
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »

His service to the country is admirable, no question about that. But I just don't understand why that means he should be president with only one term of experience in the House.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »

Provided exceptional service to his nation in combat and takes the mentality of a platoon commander to the halls of Congress

The problem is that the mentality of a platoon commander is occasionally a little, shall we say, off by virtue of how insanely stressful it is.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »

No, and thank God for that.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »

The problem is that the mentality of a platoon commander is occasionally a little, shall we say, off by virtue of how insanely stressful it is.
Right- because the job of President of the United States is such a breeze...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »

Right- because the job of President of the United States is such a breeze...

Well...I mean, it often leads to legitimate and quite severe mental illnesses. It's stressful in a different way, I'd think. The mentality of flag officers strikes me as more suited to high-level political work (though if a platoon commander were to rise to flag rank that would certainly be very impressive indeed and a great background that I should hope most anybody could appreciate).
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »

Allen West was a teacher at my high school. He taught history for one year before going back to war. He felt uncomfortable due to the large proportion of Muslim kids in the class. Anyways, his rhetoric is absolutely appalling towards his fellow congressmen and entire segments of the society. He seems to forget rhetoric he uses would have been used against him had he been running for office a couple of decades ago simply for him being black.
I never knew Allen West was a teacher. You learn something new every day though!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »

West's service was anything but admirable. He is a mentally unbalanced war criminal and it's a disgrace to the voters of Florida that he represents them in congress.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »

Maybe Vice President but President? No. His military experience makes him a good VP candidate for the 2016 or 2020 cycle.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »

Not happening. If Rubio runs in 2016 or is VP (assuming Romney wins), then he is going for Senate. Maybe Governor.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »

West's service was anything but admirable. He is a mentally unbalanced war criminal and it's a disgrace to the voters of Florida that he represents them in congress.
You tell me you have reason to believe there is a plot against you and some of the men you love most in the world and you believe a fella knows when it will occur and where... you wouldn't interrogate him? West fired his sidearm next to the man's head... hardly a war criminal

Until you've seen war, I would appreciate if you would shut your defaulted Greek butt up
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »

No, I won't shut up. Allen West belongs to a prison cell or a mental institution and certainly not in congress. 
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »

How about you try to solve your own nation's problems before ignorantly commenting on our war heroes...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 05:03:55 AM »

I served too and from the little I know war heroes usually don't beat and threaten to kill prisoners. That's Dick Cheney's idea of bravery.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 05:09:40 AM »

If you served you clearly did not serve in wartime- I am no war hero but it is a feeling unlike any other when you know men in your unit are in grave danger of guerrilla attack. For a second- unclog your defaulted Greek ears- and compare West discharging his weapon next to the man's head and the fact that there were insurgents PREPARING TO ATTACK West and his men... there is ZERO moral equivalency

You do not know what it is like to serve in combat and I do not know what it is like to be a battalion commander as West was...he had more responsibily then you ever had in your two-bit military...didn't the IMF have to come repossess your equipment anyway?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »

The american army didn't liberate Europe by torturing innocent people.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »

The american army didn't liberate Europe by torturing innocent people.
Wasn't torture and he wasn't innocent...just not guilty of the crime he was believe to be
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies