Indian Cuisine Preference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:01:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Indian Cuisine Preference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Do you prefer North Indian or South Indian Cuisine?
North Indian

South Indian

Other - specify

Don't like Indian food at all

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Indian Cuisine Preference  (Read 9864 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2012, 04:37:47 AM »

Very northern.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »

Here is the one I go to.  Nice prices, amazing food.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »

Not sure, but I like having meat in my diet, so certainly whatever Indian food I am eating is westernized to some degree.  This is the restaurant I go to for my Indian food.  Would anyone know if the food (meat aside) there is primarily northern or southern in origin? 

Like Lewis said, everything is basically northern with a heavy mughlai influence. Of course a lot of food, especially those found in restaurants, has a heavy Islamic influence.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »

I love Indian food, but I'm not sure which things I've had are Southern and which are Northern--can anyone give entrees for each? I think most I've been to have been Southern.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »

If the restaurant doesn't serve Dosa or Uthapam, it's not southern.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 01:50:47 AM »

I'm currently sort of seeing an Indian girl. I think she's from Southern India. She's a vegatarian though so I don't know if her food preferences would be very representative.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 02:08:51 AM »

South Indians are most always vegetarians, yes.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »

I'm currently sort of seeing an Indian girl.

Wow, I think that's the first time I've known a white guy who was 'seeing', even 'sort of', and Indian girl.  Do her parents know?  Or do you mean you just have a coffee with her between classes at the Starbucks? (though I would say that is already pretty shocking).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »

Wow, I think that's the first time I've known a white guy who was 'seeing', even 'sort of', and Indian girl.  Do her parents know?  Or do you mean you just have a coffee with her between classes at the Starbucks? (though I would say that is already pretty shocking).

Haha. Her parents are in India so I doubt they would know anything, no.

And, no, I don't mean having a coffee either...the 'sort of' is more in reference to the fact that I already have an open relationship and she's leaving the country in a month so it's not anything serious.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 03:27:37 PM by freefair »

South is terrible. Everything that's good is either North or British.

Britain has good food?

Almost all food that is considered "Indian" in the UK and widely eaten "to go" or major shop brought/ eaten in restaurants is an adaptation of Indian Ingredients for Anglo-Caledonian tastebuds.
As a half Indian myself I have been able to access both authentic and westernized "Balti".
My fave Indian food?
Chapati's, Naans, Pilau Rice, Chickpea curry, Jalfrezi,Spinach Saag,  Bhuna, Tiika Masala, Rogan Josh, Bhajis.
I absolutely dispise Indian sweet food.How anyone, let alone Dad, can eat those blandified sugar cubes evades me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:22 AM »

I think that's the first time I've known a white guy who was 'seeing', even 'sort of', and Indian girl.  Do her parents know?  Or do you mean you just have a coffee with her between classes at the Starbucks? (though I would say that is already pretty shocking).

And, no, I don't mean having a coffee either...the 'sort of' is more in reference to the fact that I already have an open relationship and she's leaving the country in a month so it's not anything serious.

Astounding.  Your masculine allurements must be prodigious and overwhelming!  Well worth subsequent immolation.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »

Britain has good food?

Almost all food that is considered "Indian" in the UK
I actually misread that as "almost all food is considered 'Indian' in the UK."
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »

Britain has good food?
I absolutely dispise Indian sweet food.How anyone, let alone Dad, can eat those blandified sugar cubes evades me.

Huh? What are the blandified sugar cubes? In terms of Indian sweets I really like ras malai and gulab jamuns are ok. Not a fan of gajar ka halwa. I don't like rasgulas either. Not a fan of sweet foods in any case.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »

It's not 1950 anymore opebo! I think there have been six marriages in my family since 1995; all but one have been Indian female-white male. I've certainly never gone on a date with another Indian; the odds are simply statistically unlikely since Indian females compose like 1% of the people I interact with.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »

Even marrying a Pakistani boy is something that isn't smiled upon but merely tolerated.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »

I think that's the first time I've known a white guy who was 'seeing', even 'sort of', and Indian girl.  Do her parents know?  Or do you mean you just have a coffee with her between classes at the Starbucks? (though I would say that is already pretty shocking).

Astounding.  Your masculine allurements must be prodigious and overwhelming!  Well worth subsequent immolation.

Tongue

It's hardly astounding - I don't think my masculine allurements are anything to write home about. And I'm not sure what you mean by immolation either. Would that be me not buying prostitutes or something?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »

It's hardly astounding - I don't think my masculine allurements are anything to write home about. And I'm not sure what you mean by immolation either. Would that be me not buying prostitutes or something?

No, immolation means to be consumed in a fire - it is a common method in some cultures of dealing with daughterly errancies.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:47 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 02:49:21 AM by Gustaf »

Astounding.  Your masculine allurements must be prodigious and overwhelming!  Well worth subsequent immolation.

No, immolation means to be consumed in a fire - it is a common method in some cultures of dealing with daughterly errancies.

Oh, you meant it literally, I was trying to interpret it as a metaphor.

Beside the facts that she comes from the upper echelons of society where I think values are more progressive and that a white boy is probably way more acceptable than a too dark-skinned Indian (to Brahmins fairness is apparently very important), I think patriarchal societies usually punish the women rather than the men for such things so I don't feel too worried. Wink

EDIT: I just realized that this might have been what you meant, i.e. worth it for her even if she gets burnt up afterwards. Tongue But, yeah, that wouldn't happen either.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »

EDIT: I just realized that this might have been what you meant, i.e. worth it for her even if she gets burnt up afterwards. Tongue But, yeah, that wouldn't happen either.

Yes, I was formulating a pick-up line before I travel to the sub-continent - 'hey sweet stuff, my manly allurements are so prodigious and overwhelming you won't mind the inevitable subsequent immolation'.  (don't worry, I would keep it lighthearted by working my eyebrows up and down or winking broadly - perhaps both if she looks like a 'go-er')
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »

Yes, I was formulating a pick-up line before I travel to the sub-continent - 'hey sweet stuff, my manly allurements are so prodigious and overwhelming you won't mind the inevitable subsequent immolation'.  (don't worry, I would keep it lighthearted by working my eyebrows up and down or winking broadly - perhaps both if she looks like a 'go-er')

I am starting to see why no one will sleep with you unless you pay them.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »

I think a more suitable line would be "sleep with me and you will not only get burnt on the outside, if you know what I mean"

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:33 AM »

Other ...

There is no Indian food where I live. There's only a Chinese.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »

I think a more suitable line would be "sleep with me and you will not only get burnt on the outside, if you know what I mean"

A little better, but you wouldn't be getting laid either. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »

A little better, but you wouldn't be getting laid either. Tongue

Better, how so? Cheesy

I do get laid every once in a while, but I never used a non-ironic pickup line, so...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2014, 12:34:39 AM by Simfan34 »

I come here because I'm getting Indian for lunch, a newish place in town from whence I only got samosas before.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies