Counties Obama can flip from red to blue (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:46:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Counties Obama can flip from red to blue (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Counties Obama can flip from red to blue  (Read 2886 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »

I'd say one of the good way to predict whether a county will flip is use Google maps from 2008/2012 and see what kind of construction is being done in the suburb counties(how dense). Hays most of the new subdivisions in Hays county seem to be pretty dense(near Austin), and there are a couple new apartment complexes I found in San Marcos. There is a big subdivision west of San Marcos that looks like a country club that grew a lot however.
What about Deschutes county in Oregon or Spokane county in Washington? Those were nail bitters in 2008.
Deschutes will almost certainly go Obama, Spokane will likely go Obama.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »

Any urban or non-Southern suburban county that was relatively close last night. Demographic changes.
I think the county near Austin we are talking about in this thread would be the exception. Also maybe something in NC?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »

I'm kind of surprised people have such strong intuitions about Spokane.  It's seen very little minority growth (it's still 89% white) and is pretty damn average in terms of its voter base.  The growth areas are also quite Republican.  It was very close in 2008, but I don't see any other reasons for it to be a candidate.
Spokane has a lot of poors that won't like Mittens.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »

Looking at Idaho, could Ada flip? I imagine that urban growth would shift it to the Democrats there.

I think Boise has too many Mormons and likely moderate Republicans who were turned off by Palin. The Bill Sali results in Ada are evidence that many normally loyal Republican voters there will flip if the ticket involves a total blithering idiot, though I guess the possibility of the Romney ticket having one can't be ruled out.
Yea a Mormon nominee would be strong in Boise, their turnout would be off the charts. 2016 would be a good bet though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies