Countries with no suburbs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:36:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Countries with no suburbs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Countries with no suburbs  (Read 3826 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 02:47:46 PM »

Also, the mob is huge here.  They operate out of Youngstown and have some shops here.  A lot of people go missing every year, but are not confirmed "murdered".  The lake and bay help that out quite a bit.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 02:50:57 PM »

Also, the mob is huge here.  They operate out of Youngstown and have some shops here.  A lot of people go missing every year, but are not confirmed "murdered".  The lake and bay help that out quite a bit.

Wow, that is interesting!  Like the real Italian mafia?

Anyway by 'street scene' I meant more like who do you see standing on streetcorners, that sort of thing. Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »

Wow, that is interesting!  Like the real Italian mafia?

Anyway by 'street scene' I meant more like who do you see standing on streetcorners, that sort of thing. Wink

There are about 50 or so "message parlors" around town, if that is what you mean.

Yeah, a real mob.  There are Greek, Italian and Muslim mobs opperating in the city.  Probably Russians too.

The Irish community here is very old, dating back to the founding of the city, so I don;t think there is much of an Irish mob, if any at all.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »

Erie is a perfect city for the mob to do business in, because we are on the water and close to Canada, but not high profile, like Cleveland or Detriot.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:33 PM »

There are about 50 or so "message parlors" around town, if that is what you mean.

Wow, that is cool!  I think I might like your town a lot.  Any idea on prices?  Quality?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:57 PM »

Wow, that is cool!  I think I might like your town a lot.  Any idea on prices?  Quality?

Sorry.  Never been.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »

Murder rates are a better indicator of the relative safety of various areas in my opinion. Using FBI data for 2003 the murder rates (murders/100,000 population)  are;
Erie        3
Minneapolis  12
Detroit          40

Source http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_03/xl/03tbl08.xls

By that standard Minneapolis doesn't look too bad and Erie is downright peaceful. Detroit on the other hand is not such a safe place.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2005, 03:07:12 PM »

Murder rates are a better indicator of the relative safety of various areas in my opinion. Using FBI data for 2003 the murder rates (murders/100,000 population)  are;
Erie        3
Minneapolis  12
Detroit          40

By that standard Minneapolis doesn't look too bad and Erie is downright peaceful. Detroit on the other hand is not such a safe place.

*Bangs head against desk*

Did I not just explain to you that that statistic is not the case?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2005, 03:14:09 PM »

Erie        3
Minneapolis  12
Detroit          40

*Bangs head against desk*

Did I not just explain to you that that statistic is not the case?
With regard to most crime stats yes. In high crime areas crime is underreported because people have come to realize that it does no good. Bodies on the other hand are hard to ignore. That makes homicide the best indicator. Erie is not the only place to discover that you can hide corpses. You have no monopoly on that. The Detroit river is probably full of them. The percentage of bodies discovered to homicides is probably not much different.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2005, 03:15:45 PM »

Erie has the dubious honour of being one of the very few cities that can rival Philly for corruption...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2005, 03:18:21 PM »

What's the street scene like in Minneapolis and Erie?

Erie has a lot of clubs.  There is a bar or a church on ever single corner of the town.  The downtown is making a big ome back, but there is still a lot of work to be done.  Most of that comeback is because of Ridge and all the money he gave to the area, which was in serious decline through the 70's, 80's and 90's.  The unemployment rate is about 8.5%  and the mayor has been indicted for major federal offenses and ethics violations.

Sounds like Altoona.  Johnstown looks like a post Soviet city.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2005, 03:25:41 PM »

Erie has a lot of clubs.  There is a bar or a church on ever single corner of the town.  The downtown is making a big ome back, but there is still a lot of work to be done.  Most of that comeback is because of Ridge and all the money he gave to the area, which was in serious decline through the 70's, 80's and 90's.  The unemployment rate is about 8.5%  and the mayor has been indicted for major federal offenses and ethics violations.

Erie is very corrupt, as Al said, but it is not as bad as, say, Buffalo appearance or people wise.

Going to Buffalo is seriously like going to London during the blitz.

Acctually, post Soviet is a better description, but I wanted to be original sounding.  Smiley
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2005, 03:31:37 PM »

Vatican City doesn't have any suburbs.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2005, 04:24:36 PM »

Vatican City
Monaco
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2005, 04:36:05 PM »

San Marino.

Sealand.  :-)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2005, 04:43:45 PM »

Sadly not the case any longer... they've tied a boat to one side of it :-)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2005, 04:53:59 PM »

Erie is very corrupt, as Al said, but it is not as bad as, say, Buffalo appearance or people wise.

Acctually, post Soviet is a better description, but I wanted to be original sounding.  Smiley

Hey, Buffalo's great. Downtown can be a little shady depending on where you end up...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2005, 06:12:44 PM »

Hey, Buffalo's great. Downtown can be a little shady depending on where you end up...

Actually, Altoona, aka, "the land of the Altoids" isn't all that bad.  I've described Johnstows as "Altoona, but wthout the class."
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2005, 06:13:30 PM »

I don't think Pyongyang has too much in the way of them. And I hear traffic isn't too bad - there are more traffic cops then cars on the road.

Plus, it's a wonderful place to go on a diet...
Trilobyte

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2005, 06:39:37 PM »

I don't think Hong Kong has any suburbs. Not surprising considering its population density of 7000/sq. km.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2005, 10:32:45 PM »

I should've said besides city states.

Oh yeah, I did some math:

My city has only 1 strip club, but we have 33,158 people. However if you include North Mankato which usually is, we have 45,211 people. So we have a person:strip club ration of 1:45211

population of Twin Cities: 659672
number of strip clubs: 14
person:strip club ratio: 1:47119

population of suburban Twin Cities: 2314938
number of strip clubs: 3
person:strip club ratio: 1:771646

the ratio of strip clubs in my area and the Twin Cities are about equal, but the suburbs have one 16x as much. Now what does that tell you about the suburbs?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2005, 11:46:22 PM »

My city has only 1 strip club, but we have 33,158 people. However if you include North Mankato which usually is, we have 45,211 people. So we have a person:strip club ration of 1:45211

the ratio of strip clubs in my area and the Twin Cities are about equal, but the suburbs have one 16x as much. Now what does that tell you about the suburbs?

That people from the suburbs go into the cities to visit strip clubs...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2005, 11:50:21 PM »

Having to drive 20-30 minutes both ways everytime you went to a strip club would suck bad. That also kind of cuts down on the number of beers you can have.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2005, 11:50:57 PM »

And that they tend to be residential.
danwxman

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2005, 03:02:12 AM »

Erie has a lot of clubs.  There is a bar or a church on ever single corner of the town.  The downtown is making a big ome back, but there is still a lot of work to be done.  Most of that comeback is because of Ridge and all the money he gave to the area, which was in serious decline through the 70's, 80's and 90's.  The unemployment rate is about 8.5%  and the mayor has been indicted for major federal offenses and ethics violations.

Actually, Altoona, aka, "the land of the Altoids" isn't all that bad.  I've described Johnstows as "Altoona, but wthout the class."

I've always prefered Johnstown over Altoona.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies