Countries with no suburbs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:49:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Countries with no suburbs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Countries with no suburbs  (Read 3869 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

« on: January 14, 2005, 02:34:57 PM »

It boggles my mind why anyone would want to live in such awful places. It's like moving to Fallujah.

According to an online directory I found, there's a total of 3 strip clubs in the entire suburban Twin Cities area, technically 4 but one is all male. And there's a total of 14 in the Twin Cities. What the hell do people do out in that wasteland that is the suburban Twin Cities? I wonder this every time I drive through it and see lots of identical looking houses.

Is quality of life measured by the number of strip clubs?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »

Murder rates are a better indicator of the relative safety of various areas in my opinion. Using FBI data for 2003 the murder rates (murders/100,000 population)  are;
Erie        3
Minneapolis  12
Detroit          40

Source http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_03/xl/03tbl08.xls

By that standard Minneapolis doesn't look too bad and Erie is downright peaceful. Detroit on the other hand is not such a safe place.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 03:14:09 PM »

Murder rates are a better indicator of the relative safety of various areas in my opinion. Using FBI data for 2003 the murder rates (murders/100,000 population)  are;
Erie        3
Minneapolis  12
Detroit          40

Source http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_03/xl/03tbl08.xls

By that standard Minneapolis doesn't look too bad and Erie is downright peaceful. Detroit on the other hand is not such a safe place.

*Bangs head against desk*

Did I not just explain to you that that statistic is not the case?
With regard to most crime stats yes. In high crime areas crime is underreported because people have come to realize that it does no good. Bodies on the other hand are hard to ignore. That makes homicide the best indicator. Erie is not the only place to discover that you can hide corpses. You have no monopoly on that. The Detroit river is probably full of them. The percentage of bodies discovered to homicides is probably not much different.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies