Partisan nature of the forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Partisan nature of the forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think about parties on the forum?
We need fantasy-only parties where we leave our real-life partisanship at the door.  Our parties should reflect who *we* are, not what is happening elsewhere.

We need to just have Republicans and Democrats.  Sure Democrats will win everything and this will get old quick, but hey, I want to f**k you guys over for Bush winning.  Yeaaaaaah!!!!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Partisan nature of the forum  (Read 1127 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »

Obviously, Option 1 is a better choice for the forum's future.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 02:21:47 PM »

I would like to see an all fantasy party structure.  Clearly, the political structure of the forum is different from that of the real world.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:22:32 PM »

I tend to agree.  Of course, that probably wouldn't stop the backbiting, but it might help a bit.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:27:37 PM »

I tend to agree.  Of course, that probably wouldn't stop the backbiting, but it might help a bit.

There would still be part rivalry, but it would be different because the parties would be more genuine.  If you look at the Freedom and Union Parties, for instance, you can see that we are parties that are very ideological, as opposed to being "parties" in the tradition sense.  Thus, we are more untied, there is less party in fighting and, realizing that we are too small to work alone on some legislation, we unite, build cooalitions and make compromises on cetain issues with like minded parties.  I think this would be better for all of us.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 02:28:41 PM »

Amen!

There would still be part rivalry, but it would be different because the parties would be more genuine.  If you look at the Freedom and Union Parties, for instance, you can see that we are parties that are very ideological, as opposed to being "parties" in the tradition sense.  Thus, we are more untied, there is less party in fighting and, realizing that we are too small to work alone on some legislation, we unite, build cooalitions and make compromises on cetain issues with like minded parties.  I think this would be better for all of us.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 02:29:11 PM »

Option 2, except for the last part.
TheBulldog
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 02:48:44 PM »

What Philip said.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 03:27:21 PM »

Don, I'm very sure you've more brain power than to think these poll options reflect the nature of the argument here.
(Oh, and I'd prefer option one out of those.)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 03:31:20 PM »

I try to be very non-Partisan, real-life partisan, while in Atlasia. People who aren't do not respect the spirit of the Fantasy Elections. I voted Option 1 since I feel that we should get over real-life partisanship while we are here.

For an example I am supporting MAS for Governor, who is a real life Democrat, and I am very supportive of the KEmp/Alcon ticket, whether I place it in first or second preference though is still up in the air.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 03:35:59 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2005, 03:44:47 PM by Senator Gabu »

The somewhat biased nature of the poll's questions notwithstanding ( Smiley ), I'm on the side of those who would like to see all of the parties be fantasy parties.  Even if, as Nym said, the Democrats and Republicans of Atlasia are very ideologically similar to the real Democrats and Republicans, having those names in place still gives those two parties an unfair advantage when voters register because those voters will know exactly where the Democrats and Republicans stand while not knowing where anyone else stands.

My party doesn't seem to agree, but oh well.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »

I suport only two parties, but with fantasy names.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 04:03:18 PM »

Why only two?  There are a lot more people than those who can be neatly fit into "left" or "right".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 06:32:48 PM »

I support parties for anyone who does not feel represented by any current party. That does not simply mean I think we should have wedge issue parties; it is nice to have diversity in one single group. However, I think that, say, Bullmoose isn't really represented well by the AFRNC and the Union party is there for a very good reason.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 07:15:16 PM »

I don't like parties because there has never been (and probably never will be) a party which I perfectly fit into. Sure, I could create a party of which I am the only member, but what would the point be? In fact, why do we even need political parties? It would solve quite a few problems (like posters being sore because they lost their party's nomination).
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 07:24:50 PM »

I don't like parties because there has never been (and probably never will be) a party which I perfectly fit into. Sure, I could create a party of which I am the only member, but what would the point be? In fact, why do we even need political parties? It would solve quite a few problems (like posters being sore because they lost their party's nomination).

I have actually been in favor of getting rid of political parties in the past, as it would totally eliminate the problem of people voting for something because of a letter beside their name and wouldn't do much else that I could see.

I wouldn't force that view on anyone else, though, but I think that the process would nevertheless be better without parties.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 04:45:13 AM »

Why only two?  There are a lot more people than those who can be neatly fit into "left" or "right".

Because,
a) I don't like preferencial voting;
b) Big tent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies