Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:41:17 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome  (Read 2205 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »
Ignore

There is probably not one human being alive today who did not descend from polygamists. If The Media is going to attack Obama, they must attack everybody.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
Odysseus
Scifiguy
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16:12 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: Brian Schweitzer
I am not alleging by any stretch that Romney is a polygamist and approves of [the] polygamy lifestyle, but his father was born into [a] polygamy commune in Mexico.

What does this have to do with anything? Also, how is Brian Schweitzer so "awesome" for insinuating Mitt Romney is a polygamist? 
ajb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16:34 pm »
Ignore

Mitt Romney's religion thinks that polygamy is wrong. I don't see how what Schweitzer said is an attack on Mitt Romney's religion.
Invisible Obama
DrScholl
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 02:21:39 pm »
Ignore

A lot of people think what Schweitzer said, they just don't say it. I don't think it should be made an issue on the campaign trail, but Schweitzer's opinion is very representative of many. He didn't even attack Romney, just made an observation about church background and such.

Please seek a 5150 if your candidate loses.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 02:25:10 pm »
Ignore

This is kind of like the time The Media went after John Kerry because he mentioned during a debate something about gay marriage and Dick Cheney's daughter. Anyone remember that?

The Media just went ballistic on Kerry, even though he didn't say anything negative about gays or the Cheneys.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 03:35:33 pm »
Ignore

Dem hypocrisy at it's finest. How about Schweitzer defends the crap bigots threw at JFK for being a Catholic in the 60's?
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 03:39:04 pm »
Ignore

What goes around comes around. Maybe you righities should've thought of this when you were suggesting Obama was a secret Muslim communist Nazi from Kenya.

"And God had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people, the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God; I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities." (2 Nephi 5:21)

I know they've "changed their stance" since then, but that just proves Mormonism isn't taken seriously by it's own followers.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »
Ignore

I look forward to the day you lose votes for saying you believe in nonsensical myths
Oh, that's already the case, depending on how loudly its said.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 03:44:10 pm »
Ignore

With the Democrats, apparently two wrongs DO make a right.
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »
Ignore

With the Democrats, apparently two wrongs DO make a right.

This is politics, it's not about decency, it's about winning. You can have all the good ideas in the world but it doesn't mean sh**t unless you win. Every serious person involved in politics knows this.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »
Ignore

Usually I wouldn't approve of such attacks, but considering it's Brian Schweitzer, the greatest man that ever lined, I will agree with this.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 04:00:14 pm »
Ignore

LOL, but this part struck me:
his team has declared Romney's religion off limits

I wonder if Mitt Romney'll promise the same to the President.

ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 04:06:32 pm »
Ignore

Entirely inappropriate. There was a perfect response: Romney's dad was from an isolated anglophone community, culturally entirely unconnected w/ the rest of Mexico and, thus, is not at all Hispanic for any real purpose. This is, in fact, true: no Hispanic Mexican would recognize Romney as one, nor would be more likely to vote for him based on his father's place of birth, so bringing that up is pure demagogy.

The marriage customs of his ancestors, though, are no more relevant here than the marriage customs of Old Testament are for the Jewish politicians - or else we'd have to worry about Abraham's relationship w/ Hagar.
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »
Ignore

The party of Al Smith shouldn't be doing that.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »
Ignore

Even though I recognize that Schweitzer's insinuations here are abhorrent, I can't bring myself to care because Mormonism is truly a vile cult that isn't worthy of my defense.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:32 pm »
Ignore

That was a stupid thing of Schweitzer to say.  Romney can't control where his father was born.  

The Governor of Montana has gone down a point or two in my book.

You're Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:07 pm »
Ignore

Entirely inappropriate. There was a perfect response: Romney's dad was from an isolated anglophone community, culturally entirely unconnected w/ the rest of Mexico and, thus, is not at all Hispanic for any real purpose. This is, in fact, true: no Hispanic Mexican would recognize Romney as one, nor would be more likely to vote for him based on his father's place of birth, so bringing that up is pure demagogy.

The marriage customs of his ancestors, though, are no more relevant here than the marriage customs of Old Testament are for the Jewish politicians - or else we'd have to worry about Abraham's relationship w/ Hagar.

This, basically. I still support Schweitzer, but his comment was incredibly inappropriate and really stupid, also offensive to me and my faith. I understand why he made it, but he could have worded it better.

And honestly, whatever my fellow liberals/moderates/etc say about my faith can never be as vicious as the religious right, since not only do the religious right say the same thing, but their theological ancestors (i.e, the fundamentalist preachers in the mid 1800s) are the ones who drove Mormons out to Utah in the first place. So it's not that offensive to me, as a Mormon progressive.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 05:53:51 pm »
Ignore

And honestly, whatever my fellow liberals/moderates/etc say about my faith can never be as vicious as the religious right, since not only do the religious right say the same thing, but their theological ancestors (i.e, the fundamentalist preachers in the mid 1800s) are the ones who drove Mormons out to Utah in the first place. So it's not that offensive to me, as a Mormon progressive.

Uh, no, it's the Brian Schweitzers of the world whose actual biological ancestors did that, and Methodists and Baptists are not the same thing.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »
Ignore

Isn't this a bit like if a Republican Governor of Florida insulted Jews?

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 07:23:42 pm »
Ignore

That was a stupid thing of Schweitzer to say.  Romney can't control where his father was born.  

The Governor of Montana has gone down a point or two in my book.

In the context of the question Schweitzer was asked, what if Romney starts to pretend he is a Hispanic on the basis of his ancestors sojourn in Mexico, then pointing out why they were there would be fair game.  Not that there is any evidence that the Romney camp will be so dense as to make such a foolish claim.

However, Schwitzer could and should have been more subtle.  Here's a better way to answer that absurd hypothetical.

"Governor Romney isn't really a Hispanic.  His great-grandfather had decided he didn't love the United States any more, so he left it for Mexico.  His grandfather then brought his family back to the United States because he didn't love Mexico any more."

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 08:52:35 pm »
Ignore

Uh, no, it's the Brian Schweitzers of the world whose actual biological ancestors did that, and Methodists and Baptists are not the same thing.

Oh, what I meant was that those who murdered, attacked, and ranted against Mormons in the 1800s were in effect, the religious ancestors of the religious right today, by virtue of both being intolerant towards towards non-their-specific-brand-of-Protestantism. I wasn't saying anything about anybody's literal ancestors, just the kinds of people they indirectly draw their bigotry from.

I wasn't saying anything about any specific religion, just that the anti-Mormon preachers in Missouri and Illinois (the Missouri ones especially, since they literally pillaged and raped the Mormon settlement of Far West) draw upon similar kinds of bigotry to the rhetoric that the ultra-zealous fringe religious right does today. The ones today are non-violent, but they have the same attitude towards Mormonism; they think it's a dangerous cult that must be stopped.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 09:25:59 pm »
Ignore

I see nothing wrong with it - he was just giving some true political analysis.
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 10:16:26 pm »
Ignore

The really interesting thing about this, to me at least, is that a simple comment about Romney's ancestry is immediately described by both sides as an 'attack on faith', which popularizes a link between Mormonism and polygamy when the LDS church is surely still attempting to distance itself from this aspect of its past.  I mean, if merely pointing out that Romney's father was born into a polygamist commune is an attack on the Mormonism of today, how easy is it going to be for the average, uninformed voter to shake the association?

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2012, 01:50:54 am »
Ignore

I still can't get over the fact that in 68 Romney's dad ran for President but he was born in a polygamous commune in Mexico and no one made a deal. lol
ShadowOfTheWave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2012, 09:24:55 am »
Ignore

What a slime. What does Romney's fathers place of birth have to with him or his beliefs? Or even his father's beliefs? And if Brian seriously thinks this will be an issue with swing voters he is obviously not intelligent enough to be in public office.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout