Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?  (Read 7115 times)
Pingvin
Pingvin99
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »

My views formed before homeschooling, so your argument is invalid.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2012, 04:40:55 PM by Reluctant Republican »

This issue kind of hits home for me,  since I was homeschooled for  a year, and I would hope I'm not particularly crazy. A dim hope, but still.

That being said, I'm aware my reasons for it were different than most. A few students sexually assaulted me, and the school's overall response was rather lacking( No recess for two days!) So my family was faced with the choice of either keeping me in an environment I felt unsafe in, putting me in Catholic school(Me not being Catholic, it struck us all as  a bad idea) or sending me to another of the local public schools, which were sadly not the best. In the end we chose homeschooling for a year, and it worked well for me. I was already pretty inquisitive, so I like to think I learned more than my classmates that year in various fields. Then high school started and I went to an actual school, since homeschooling for high school is a bit of a challenge if you're not an actual teacher. Smiley

Sorry for the attention whoring, but I just wanted to point out that I think in some circumstances, home schooling is the best option.  I was also lucky enough to have  a teacher from my old school serve as  a sort of advisor who I met up with once in awhile to test me on what I learned, and I think something like that should probably be strongly encouraged. I would agree though that it's not an optimal solution most of the time, and like I said,  any use of homeschooling should have some form of licensed teacher involvement. But to ban it all together makes me uneasy, especially since in some situations like my own, it might be the best of a mix of unpleasant options.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

I was homeschooled for a long time and my social abilities suffered greatly as a result of it (though I like to think that I am essentially "normal" now). On the other hand, I entered high school with college-level comprehension in basically every subject except math & science. Homeschooling can be terrible, but if the child's parents are both very social & very intelligent, it can also be much better than the alternatives. Banning it strikes me as little more than knee-jerk statism.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »

Yes. Private education is backward, stupid and a perpetuator of the class system.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »

I'm on homeschooling.
And do you know what I'm gonna say?
F**k you guys.

Here's the best argument against homeschooling I've encountered yet.

Stop being a dick, you're making Jesus weep.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »

Yes. Private education is backward, stupid and a perpetuator of the class system.
You know that logic is only a half step better than
I'm on homeschooling.
And do you know what I'm gonna say?
F**k you guys.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »

It's always possible to learn outside of school, but it's not easy to get what school provides in terms of socialization and cultural acclimatization by other means. While I wouldn't go so far to ban other forms of schooling, public school attendance should absolutely be promoted by the government.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »

Homeschooling is a mixed blessing; it lets some kids (esp. those with learning disorders, or those in areas with really bad public schooling) learn a whole lot more than they ordinarily would if they just went to public school, but then again, it also lets those people who don't want their kids to go to school because they teach science there keep their kids out of school...
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length