Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:36:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?  (Read 7234 times)
Reluctant Republican

« on: April 23, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2012, 04:40:55 PM by Reluctant Republican »

This issue kind of hits home for me,  since I was homeschooled for  a year, and I would hope I'm not particularly crazy. A dim hope, but still.

That being said, I'm aware my reasons for it were different than most. A few students sexually assaulted me, and the school's overall response was rather lacking( No recess for two days!) So my family was faced with the choice of either keeping me in an environment I felt unsafe in, putting me in Catholic school(Me not being Catholic, it struck us all as  a bad idea) or sending me to another of the local public schools, which were sadly not the best. In the end we chose homeschooling for a year, and it worked well for me. I was already pretty inquisitive, so I like to think I learned more than my classmates that year in various fields. Then high school started and I went to an actual school, since homeschooling for high school is a bit of a challenge if you're not an actual teacher. Smiley

Sorry for the attention whoring, but I just wanted to point out that I think in some circumstances, home schooling is the best option.  I was also lucky enough to have  a teacher from my old school serve as  a sort of advisor who I met up with once in awhile to test me on what I learned, and I think something like that should probably be strongly encouraged. I would agree though that it's not an optimal solution most of the time, and like I said,  any use of homeschooling should have some form of licensed teacher involvement. But to ban it all together makes me uneasy, especially since in some situations like my own, it might be the best of a mix of unpleasant options.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies