Could Charlie Crist make a comeback?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:16:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Charlie Crist make a comeback?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Charlie Crist make a comeback?  (Read 3164 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »

Charlie Crist has indicated he may be endorsing Obama sometime this year.

Could he run against Rick Scott in 2014 as a Democrat? Should he?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »

Yes. PPP tested him as a Democrat for 2014 and he'd beat Scott by like 54-38.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »

In all fairness, I (or any living person, and some dead ones) could run as a Democrat and beat Scott. But Charlie's not done with politics yet, writing opinion pieces like this one (http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/article1224203.ece. His wife's switched to the Democrats already, he's done public events with Alex Sink, Bob Graham, Al Lawson, and Kathy Castor, and he's donated to Patrick Murphy. Florida does need an independent thinker a la Lawton Chiles or Claude Pepper, not another partisan like Rubio, Scott, or Meek, and Charlie's gonna be better than Scott. With his current favorability rankings (42%-33%), he has a real shot at a comeback, especially with Nan Rich and (presumably) Alex Sink in a Democratic primary; Sink/Rich would split the Democratic base, and Charlie'd run up big margins among African-Americans, teachers, conservative Democrats, and Tampa Bay. He can, and will, return.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »

Of course he can.

Crist 2014
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »

Crist is a loser.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »

This. The less we see of that race-baiting (all but calling Rubio a coconut twice in 2 debates- and I haven't forgotten) fecktard, the better.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »

In all fairness, I (or any living person, and some dead ones) could run as a Democrat and beat Scott. But Charlie's not done with politics yet, writing opinion pieces like this one (http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/article1224203.ece. His wife's switched to the Democrats already, he's done public events with Alex Sink, Bob Graham, Al Lawson, and Kathy Castor, and he's donated to Patrick Murphy. Florida does need an independent thinker a la Lawton Chiles or Claude Pepper, not another partisan like Rubio, Scott, or Meek, and Charlie's gonna be better than Scott. With his current favorability rankings (42%-33%), he has a real shot at a comeback, especially with Nan Rich and (presumably) Alex Sink in a Democratic primary; Sink/Rich would split the Democratic base, and Charlie'd run up big margins among African-Americans, teachers, conservative Democrats, and Tampa Bay. He can, and will, return.
Crist had some conservative views as Governor, and I think if push comes to shove, the more liberal Democrats in the race could easily expose those issues, alienating him with many Democrats. If what is going on now stands in 2014, why would Democrats nominate a Centrist when they could win just about as easily with a liberal?

In order for Crist to comeback, he'll have to get a break in the primary (weak opposition) or run as an Independent. And I'm saying this as someone who supported him in 2010.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »

Crist had some conservative views as Governor, and I think if push comes to shove, the more liberal Democrats in the race could easily expose those issues, alienating him with many Democrats. If what is going on now stands in 2014, why would Democrats nominate a Centrist when they could win just about as easily with a liberal?

In order for Crist to comeback, he'll have to get a break in the primary (weak opposition) or run as an Independent. And I'm saying this as someone who supported him in 2010.

He did have some conservative views, which could endear him to conservative Democrats up in the Panhandle/North FL. As for the teachers, as one who's been taught by these teachers, they still remember the veto of SB6. And as a Tampa Bay resident, we still remember and like Crist. His basic coalition doesn't need the liberal Democrats. The Democrats have nominated centrists before (Sink) over more liberal candidates (Moore), and are likely to do it again.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »

What would a Scott (R) vs Sink (D) vs Crist (I) race in 2014 look like, with all three participating in telivised debates?

I think Scott could pull that race out narrowly and Sink would spend the entire campaign trying to convince Crist to quit the race, but she would make another gaffe of 2010 sort in the middle of October 2014.

I don't think Crist would be inclined to go the Independent route again.
Reginald
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 05:11:21 PM »

It wouldn't be surprising to see him try, and it wouldn't be too surprising to see him succeed either. Which is unfortunate, because I like to see obvious opportunists like Crist fail (if the only alternative is Rick Scott, however, I would be less bemused).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »

He will only take votes away from the Dem nominee and allow the GOP candidate to win.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

He will only take votes away from the Dem nominee and allow the GOP candidate to win.

Not necessarily. There's still groups of Republicans who like him and will vote for him. Not necessarily huge ones, but still. I have a few family members who are Republican who voted Crist last time and would/will next time.

Anyway, in a Crist/Sink/Scott match up I'd expect either Sink or Crist to collapse pretty quickly and consolidate around whoever looks stronger. But really, the likeliest thing is Crist running as a Democrat, probably beating Nan Rich and Alex Sink. Then again I think people underestimate Sink a bit too much, I wouldn't put it past her to pull it out.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »

On that note, I'll just put this link right here.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »

Wow...I didn't know he had fallen that far.

I still think he could make a comeback though, especially against Scott.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »

Wow...I didn't know he had fallen that far.

I still think he could make a comeback though, especially against Scott.

He's also on billboards with his face and in large lettering "For the People".
But I wouldn't feel so bad for him, John Morgan, the head of Morgan & Morgan, is one of the largest democratic fundraisers in Florida. He would most likely be able to get him money, and I'm sure Crist has some loyalists he can tap money from.

Remember, Crist is still popular in St. Petersburg and Pinellas County. If he runs for anything he'll have support from Tampa Bay.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies