UT-Sen: Hatch misses 60 by a whisker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:25:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT-Sen: Hatch misses 60 by a whisker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UT-Sen: Hatch misses 60 by a whisker  (Read 2838 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »

59.2%. But he'll certainly win the runoff.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:25:08 PM »

You mean he'll win the primary? Probably.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »

Well, he really lucked out in not drawing a formidable challenger.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »

Yeah, but he's Hatch. He should have been able to breeze through without a primary against the idiots that were against him, but he didn't. He's losing his edge.

Also, he's never actually ran in a primary before (he won the nomination outright in '76), so this will be interesting.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:20:38 AM »

It's been my long-held belief that Orrin Hatch is one of the worst fuckwits in the Senate, but alas, I'm sure the alternative is horrific.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:25:17 AM »

It's been my long-held belief that Orrin Hatch is one of the worst fuckwits in the Senate, but alas, I'm sure the alternative is horrific.

Yeah, he is an ass. Orrin Hatch believes that the computers of all software pirates not named Orrin Hatch should be destroyed.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 02:38:21 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2012, 02:40:19 AM by Joe Republic »

Yeah, he is an ass. Orrin Hatch believes that the computers of all software pirates not named Orrin Hatch should be destroyed.

That, and 18 years in Washington is too long and indicates a loss of touch with one's constituents.  However, 36 years in the Senate (with the intention of making it 42) is a-ok.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »

That, and 18 years in Washington is too long and indicates a loss of touch with one's constituents.  However, 36 years in the Senate (with the intention of making it 42) is a-ok.

tbf the Tea Party isn't anywhere near as big as it was.
Kevinstat

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 05:11:02 PM by Kevinstat »

Yeah, but he's Hatch. He should have been able to breeze through without a primary against the idiots that were against him, but he didn't. He's losing his edge.

Also, he's never actually ran in a primary before (he won the nomination outright in '76), so this will be interesting.

An autobiographical book of his I read from once at Barnes & Noble says otherwise, and that he was actually the second-place candidate at the convention in 1976.  I remember reading at the time that he barely avoided a primary in 2000, and his closest (only?) competitor became the running-mate of the primary challenger to Governor Mike Leavitt who didn't avoid a primary that year.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »

An autobiographical book of his I read from once at Barnes & Noble says otherwise, and that he was actually the second-place candidate at the convention in 1976.  I remember reading at the time that he barely avoided a primary in 2000, and his closest (only?) competitor became the running-mate of the primary challenger to Governor Mike Leavitt who didn't avoid a primary that year.

Fair enough; I was just going off of Wikipedia and other assorted internet sources. Didn't know Hatch faced a primary in '76.

Still, the fact that he's facing a primary now (when he's as well-known and experienced as he is) goes to show that's he's weaker than ever before. The FreedomWorks guys are very determined this year to kick Hatch out. They'll probably lose, but the division might open up an opportunity for the Democrat (who yes, lost to Hatch in 2000) to maybe squeak through a victory. After all, the times are a'changing.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 01:58:37 AM »

Liljenquist seems like he has a pretty distinguished record - "Legislator of the Year" for his work on entitlement reform. And apparently he got badly injured in a humanitarian mission plane crash, so that's some super hero cred there.   Some kind of problem with (accidently ?) not paying his taxes, but that's recoverable.  Is it possible he'll have enough appeal to gain support and win the primary?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 04:45:40 AM »

Liljenquist seems like he has a pretty distinguished record - "Legislator of the Year" for his work on entitlement reform. And apparently he got badly injured in a humanitarian mission plane crash, so that's some super hero cred there.   Some kind of problem with (accidently ?) not paying his taxes, but that's recoverable.  Is it possible he'll have enough appeal to gain support and win the primary?

Possibly. Hatch entered the Senate under similar circumstances.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 04:46:45 AM »

Unlikely. If Hatch was able to get almost 60% in activist-dominated and ultra-right politically Republican convention, then it's more then likely that he will get even more at more "normal" primary.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

Unlikely. If Hatch was able to get almost 60% in activist-dominated and ultra-right politically Republican convention, then it's more then likely that he will get even more at more "normal" primary.

Actually, compared to 2010, this years GOP convention was a lot more moderate, and many of the delegates considered themselves as "moderate" (still ultraconservative, but not nearly as much as 2010's version). Even the number of voters/delegates that considered themselves "Tea Partiers" have decreased.

Heck, Bob Bennett himself came to the convention, and apparently (I wasn't there) he was cheered profusely, with the crowds demanding he give a speech. This is only two years after he was thrown out of office.

Still, there's enough people angry at Hatch to give him a run for his (considerable) money. FreedomWorks really wants to take Hatch out. I'm just looking forward to Hatch and Liljenquist tearing each apart in the primary; like I said, there might be a chance for the Democrat to win this year. Not a good chance, but a small chance.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

I'm just looking forward to Hatch and Liljenquist tearing each apart in the primary; like I said, there might be a chance for the Democrat to win this year. Not a good chance, but a small chance.

if I were in charge of the Democratic Party of Utah, I would personally concentrate on propelling Cooke past Herbert. Horrible corporatism and hideously anti-technology votes aside, Hatch is a much, much riskier target to try and topple compared to the good Governor, particularly now the Democrats have possibly the best candidate they could possibly hope for. And I believe you mentioned something about Herbert leaving himself open thanks to scandals?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »

Actually, compared to 2010, this years GOP convention was a lot more moderate, and many of the delegates considered themselves as "moderate" (still ultraconservative, but not nearly as much as 2010's version). Even the number of voters/delegates that considered themselves "Tea Partiers" have decreased.

Heck, Bob Bennett himself came to the convention, and apparently (I wasn't there) he was cheered profusely, with the crowds demanding he give a speech. This is only two years after he was thrown out of office.

Still, there's enough people angry at Hatch to give him a run for his (considerable) money. FreedomWorks really wants to take Hatch out. I'm just looking forward to Hatch and Liljenquist tearing each apart in the primary; like I said, there might be a chance for the Democrat to win this year. Not a good chance, but a small chance.

VERY interesting. Thanks!!!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:06 AM »

if I were in charge of the Democratic Party of Utah, I would personally concentrate on propelling Cooke past Herbert. Horrible corporatism and hideously anti-technology votes aside, Hatch is a much, much riskier target to try and topple compared to the good Governor, particularly now the Democrats have possibly the best candidate they could possibly hope for. And I believe you mentioned something about Herbert leaving himself open thanks to scandals?

I think the Utah Democrats are focusing specifically on the Gubernatorial and Senate races, and with the Congressional races they're going with a "throw a candidate out and see what sticks" approach.

I agree that Herbert's an easier target, and that his scandals (I could go on and on about them, but this is the wrong thread, so ask me in the gubernatorial thread) make him (Herbert) weak, but Hatch is facing a primary, which also makes him weak. Hatch's GOP rival is floundering about, but will hopefully be strong enough to force Hatch to waste his money.

I think the Utah Democrats will finally get a little bit of funding from the National Democratic Party this time, especially if the polls (which aren't very common in Utah, oddly) start edging towards Cooke or Howell doing well in their respective races.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies