France 2012: Official Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:27:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France 2012: Official Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: France 2012: Official Results Thread  (Read 145801 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 22, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »

Same. I was never under the impression that Corsu was a hotbed of French ultra-nationalist sentiment. And what the Hell is with Bilia?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »

Lol Pyrénées-Atlantiques, lol Bayrou.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »

What's the over-under on Hollande losing a single part of Limousin, Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine, or Midi-Pyrénées?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:32:16 PM »

Guys, I've often said that Corsican nationalists can tend to vote for the FN in presidential elections. I've been proven correct again.

I'm interested in why. Is it just that the movement has racist elements/tendencies?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

Corsu seems to have a north-south divide, with any appreciable support for Hollande petering out once you hit the area just north of Bastelica, which along with a few bits of Tyrrhenian coastline is also Panzergirl's main base on the island. Interesting.

(Sorry about this fixation, I have Corsican ancestry.)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »

Big block of pink filling in from the Loire to the Spanish border.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2012, 03:53:42 PM by Nathan »

Hollande is massively outperforming Royal in Auvergne and Burgundy especially so far, it looks like.

ETA: He's carried every département in Auvergne, also in Limousin (obviously) and Brittany and on track in Aquitaine and possibly Midi-Pyrénées and Poitou-Charentes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »

What sort of place is Corrèze? It seems really rural, possibly mountainous? Is it considered part of the Massif Central?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »

What sort of place is Corrèze? It seems really rural, possibly mountainous? Is it considered part of the Massif Central?

Lived there several years while a child. It's definitely part of Massif Central yes, very green, lot of forests, middle mountains, quite rural, slightly conservative, but still rather open minded, something along the rest of Limousin, might be the most rightist département of this région.

So Hollande's from a sort of low-key rural leftist background, culturally? That sounds nice, actually. Too bad he's going to be inheriting and presiding over an absolute sh**tstorm.

Where is Mélenchon ostensibly from, other than 'Morocco'?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »

Interestingly both Chirac and Hollande were from outside of Corrèze, but made their political bases there. Chirac is from Paris, Hollande from Rouen.

Ah. I remember Chirac was also Mayor of Paris for some time. I'm always amazed by how much of what would here be seen as blatant carpetbagging goes on in Europe.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

Interestingly both Chirac and Hollande were from outside of Corrèze, but made their political bases there. Chirac is from Paris, Hollande from Rouen.

Ah. I remember Chirac was also Mayor of Paris for some time. I'm always amazed by how much of what would here be seen as blatant carpetbagging goes on in Europe.

Yep, he was mayor of Paris and deputy from Corrèze at the same time, as I recall.

What.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

Lived there several years while a child. It's definitely part of Massif Central yes, very green, lot of forests, middle mountains, quite rural, slightly conservative, but still rather open minded, something along the rest of Limousin, might be the most rightist département of this région.

So Hollande's from a sort of low-key rural leftist background, culturally? That sounds nice, actually. Too bad he's going to be inheriting and presiding over an absolute sh**tstorm.

lol, no, at all, it's a cute Parisian upper middle class baby. Grin

...Oh joy.

The sheer domination of primate cities is another thing that interests me about Europe. Paris, London, Madrid...New York has nowhere near that much influence within the United States.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »

lol, no, at all, it's a cute Parisian upper middle class baby. Grin

...Oh joy.

The sheer domination of primate cities is another thing that interests me about Europe. Paris, London, Madrid...New York has nowhere near that much influence within the United States.

New York has that much influence within its state, doesn't it?

Good point! Perhaps it would within a hypothetical 'Northeast' country of roughly a large Western European country's population.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »

The case of Paris is exceptional, I think. Even London doesn't have that degree of...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Hollande even though he represents a rural area is apparently culturally Parisian. Sarkozy is from some awful Paris suburb. Chirac was Parisian. Was Mitterrand even from anywhere in particular?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »

What is it about Morbihan? Even this time it was much narrower than the rest of the Breton départements.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

How is Hollande expected to do in the Big Four cities, relative to how Royal or Jospin used to?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »

Hollande 27-25 in Loire, Sarko 37-24 over Panzergirl in Alpes-Maritime (his best result yet?). Provence is a really politically awful place, isn't it?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »

It also is significantly less nice than, say, Languedoc-Rousillon on most other terrains.

Just saying in case you'd ever be planning a holiday.

One of these days I'd love to see some soft, peripheral travel movie about some privileged American or Briton finding love and/or his/her dreams at a little cottage on the windswept coast of Brittany or in the forested mountains of Limousin. Now there's some régions of France I can get behind.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »

Val d'Oise for Hollande, details at eleven.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »

Seriously, screw Provence.

I enjoy the fact that Panzergirl's best result is in Vaucluse, which isn't even the département that she won.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »

Is it at all meaningful that Hollande got within five points of Sarko in Hauts-de-Seine?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 06:49:12 PM »

Surprised if Sarko won Rhône, but I don't know much about that area. Is Lyon a more rightist city than average?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 02:19:46 AM »

I refuse to believe that France will elect Hollande.

...I genuinely pity you.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »

I've heard it said that Panzergirl's voters are considered most likely to sit out the second round. How much to this is there?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »

We may also have to envision what sort of person a French expatriate in Cuba might be.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies