Opinion of the Christian left
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:57:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of the Christian left
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
FF

Mixed

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Opinion of the Christian left  (Read 6735 times)
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »

Based on this list from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_left#United_States
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

Though mixed, my opinion of the Christian left leans strongly FF (the latter being what I voted for).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2012, 02:21:41 PM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

Take a guess. Smiley

That list is kind of weird though especially with the inclusion of various "liberal Democratic politicians who are Christian", which is basically "liberal Democratic politicians who aren't Jewish, Keith Ellison or Pete Stark."
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

I remember when you made a statement that the Christian Left is more civilized then the secular left and the Christian Right. I have to side with you on that issue, seeing that the worst people out of that group is Hugo Chavez and then Jesse Jackson.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

Yes, as I've pointed out before, there haven't been any Christian left terrorists, or any murderous dictator slaughtering people in the name of liberal Christianity.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »

Take a guess. Smiley

That list is kind of weird though especially with the inclusion of various "liberal Democratic politicians who are Christian", which is basically "liberal Democratic politicians who aren't Jewish, Keith Ellison or Pete Stark."

All the liberal Democratic politicians on the list are Christian though.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »

Take a guess. Smiley

*or André Carson Wink
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »

Firmly support.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

Take a guess. Smiley

*or André Carson Wink

Ah yes. And there's also the two Buddhists in Hawaii and Hank Johnson.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

That's kind of a stupid list (though by the standards of most Wikipedia lists it's not really worse than average), it includes a ton of people who don't have anything to do with Christianity besides a nominal affiliation (like the vast majority of people in the Western world), and even some people who don't have much to do with the left either. Like I love Mr. Rogers as much as anyone who was a kid during the era I was, but it's quite the stretch to call him a left activist. And I'm sure Katherine Jefferts Schori opposed the Iraq War and she was OK with Gene Robinson's consecration but to stretch from that to "religious left" is also a leap (and yeah I'm sure she voted for Obama too but did she even make a public statement to that nature?)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »

joke distortion of Christianity
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »

I found this quote retweeted by the Twitter of the church the woman who spoke yesterday mentioned as the one she went to when she was teaching at a Christian college in Santa Barbara:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »

I found this quote retweeted by the Twitter of the church the woman who spoke yesterday mentioned as the one she went to when she was teaching at a Christian college in Santa Barbara:

1) Jesus did NOT use the state to provide healthcare, nor did the NT church...rather they taught individuals to provide for the poor.
2) Any form of Christianity not preaching repentance from sin is a sham.

(Of course, I'm talking to someone with a reprobate mind.)
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »

Entirely setting aside the sheer ridiculousness of the idea that the precise means by which the poor are provided for is of anything approaching primary importance, why on Earth would you assume that leftist Christians do not preach repentance from sin?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »

Entirely setting aside the sheer ridiculousness of the idea that the precise means by which the poor are provided for is of anything approaching primary importance, why on Earth would you assume that leftist Christians do not preach repentance from sin?

He's obviously referring to LGBT acceptance.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »

1) Jesus did NOT use the state to provide healthcare, nor did the NT church...rather they taught individuals to provide for the poor.
2) Any form of Christianity not preaching repentance from sin is a sham.

(Of course, I'm talking to someone with a reprobate mind.)

1) There was no such thing as government back in Christ time and if there was a state to provide Christ would strongly support it.

2) I'm not even  goingthere.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »

Would you care to cite a verse for us where Jesus said the state was not to provide healthcare or otherwise provide for the poor?

I'd like to point out that in Leviticus 14:21-22, the offering that was to be made when a person was cleansed of tsara’at was lessened for the poor, (as were other offerings in other circumstances as well). It would appear to me that God is in favor of adjusting charges for health care downward for those unable to pay the the full price.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »

He's obviously referring to LGBT acceptance.

Oh, the messaging that I'm engaging in with regards to the ridiculousness of what jmfcst is saying isn't directed towards jmfcst any more, believe me.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »

Yes, as I've pointed out before, there haven't been any Christian left terrorists, or any murderous dictator slaughtering people in the name of liberal Christianity.
You have to turn a blind eye to an awful lot in order to make this statement. Violent Sandanista revolutionaries.  Irish Marxist Catholic terrorists.  Hugo Chavez squelching democracy.  Al Sharpton inciting violence against Jews.   Self-proclaimed prophet and child murderer Nat Turner.
There are some on the Christian Left who support voluntary, nonviolent action to be in solidarity with the poor, and I have a great deal of respect for them. But you also have those who preach that the Kingdom of God is established through violence and power against the oppressor class.

1) There was no such thing as government back in Christ time and if there was a state to provide Christ would strongly support it.
Of course there was a government in Jesus' time. It killed him.  Jesus had little use for it, his reign being not of this world (that is, not to do with political power).
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2012, 10:26:53 PM by Senator Scott »

Government was certainly around during that time, but honestly I'm not sure when government assistance was first implemented in a country, let alone thought of.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:11 PM »

Government was certainly around during that time, but honestly I'm not sure when government assistance was first implemented in a country, let alone thought of.

Does the phrase bread and circuses mean anything to you?

Subsidized grain for the poor first began to be distributed in Rome under Gaius Gracchus in 123 BC and the subsidies grew greater over the centuries.  Wasn't until the 19th century that governments started dealing with health care in a general fashion, but until then it was arguable if going to a doctor was a boon or a bane for most people.  It was his doctors' efforts to care for him that most likely killed George Washington.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »

mixed...the Christian left is almost as vague (and useless) of a term as "christian" (or left for that matter)...mainly for the reasons BRTD has mentioned.  Not only is it vague, it's also used for people that aren't defined by their leftness or Christianity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:38 AM »

The omission of Obama is also fairly curious considering all the included failed Democratic candidates, I can understand McGovern who has always been a pretty outspoken Christian but Mondale, Gore, Kerry and Dean aren't any moreso than your average politician and certainly less than Obama.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »

Entirely setting aside the sheer ridiculousness of the idea that the precise means by which the poor are provided for is of anything approaching primary importance,

hey, BRTD is the one that brought it up, as if Jesus' miraculous healings is somehow a command to vote for universal healthcare by proxy (through the use of someone else's taxes), instead of making it a personal responsibility to care for others....BRTD is somehow tapping into Jesse Jackson's way of thinking.

But, if you think providing for others by proxy (taxing others) is a substitute for the commands of Jesus, then you're not reading the same book as I am.

---

why on Earth would you assume that leftist Christians do not preach repentance from sin?

sexual immorality - primarily fornication and homosexuality
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 01:27:52 PM by Nathan »

Entirely setting aside the sheer ridiculousness of the idea that the precise means by which the poor are provided for is of anything approaching primary importance,

hey, BRTD is the one that brought it up, as if Jesus' miraculous healings is somehow a command to vote for universal healthcare by proxy (through the use of someone else's taxes), instead of making it a personal responsibility to care for others....BRTD is somehow tapping into Jesse Jackson's way of thinking.

But, if you think providing for others by proxy (taxing others) is a substitute for the commands of Jesus, then you're not reading the same book as I am.

I don't think it's a 'substitute', no, mainly because I don't artificially separate these issues according to the dictates of a bourgeoisie, at heart profoundly secular political tradition.

sexual immorality - primarily fornication and homosexuality
[/quote]

If that's your definition of sin, then I suppose so, but the possibility is there that using that definition says more about your interests than it does about sin.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies