Opinion of the Christian left (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:22:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the Christian left (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

Mixed

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Opinion of the Christian left  (Read 6848 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
« edited: April 22, 2012, 02:21:41 PM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

Take a guess. Smiley

That list is kind of weird though especially with the inclusion of various "liberal Democratic politicians who are Christian", which is basically "liberal Democratic politicians who aren't Jewish, Keith Ellison or Pete Stark."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

Yes, as I've pointed out before, there haven't been any Christian left terrorists, or any murderous dictator slaughtering people in the name of liberal Christianity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

Take a guess. Smiley

That list is kind of weird though especially with the inclusion of various "liberal Democratic politicians who are Christian", which is basically "liberal Democratic politicians who aren't Jewish, Keith Ellison or Pete Stark."

*or André Carson Wink

Ah yes. And there's also the two Buddhists in Hawaii and Hank Johnson.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

That's kind of a stupid list (though by the standards of most Wikipedia lists it's not really worse than average), it includes a ton of people who don't have anything to do with Christianity besides a nominal affiliation (like the vast majority of people in the Western world), and even some people who don't have much to do with the left either. Like I love Mr. Rogers as much as anyone who was a kid during the era I was, but it's quite the stretch to call him a left activist. And I'm sure Katherine Jefferts Schori opposed the Iraq War and she was OK with Gene Robinson's consecration but to stretch from that to "religious left" is also a leap (and yeah I'm sure she voted for Obama too but did she even make a public statement to that nature?)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »

I found this quote retweeted by the Twitter of the church the woman who spoke yesterday mentioned as the one she went to when she was teaching at a Christian college in Santa Barbara:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »

Entirely setting aside the sheer ridiculousness of the idea that the precise means by which the poor are provided for is of anything approaching primary importance, why on Earth would you assume that leftist Christians do not preach repentance from sin?

He's obviously referring to LGBT acceptance.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:38 AM »

The omission of Obama is also fairly curious considering all the included failed Democratic candidates, I can understand McGovern who has always been a pretty outspoken Christian but Mondale, Gore, Kerry and Dean aren't any moreso than your average politician and certainly less than Obama.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »

I know of at least two evangelical churches that preach openness to universal salvation (My own and one planted by a buddy of mine that I've helped out with.), at the very least they do obviously reject that no one isn't Christian can acheive salvation, that's quite obvious from some sermons at that neocharismatic (and incredibly nasty holy roller right wing one if we believe afleitch. Wink ) Seriously though there was even a sermon encouraging people to study and look for value in other religions and the intro to Advent one took time to note the work of God is not restricted to people who are Christians noting the Magi who followed the star to the birth of Jesus were not Christians or Jews and there is no mention of them becoming so either. And this has been part of ELCA doctrine too for as long as I can remember.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »

My buddy kind of rejects the "traditional" view of the afterlife in favor of a N.T. Wright type view and all of his first couple sermons were on moving the past the traditional evangelical "being saved" type dichotomy. I'd actually be interested if jmfcst ever came to Minneapolis for whatever reason debate him on things like his interpretation of the true meaning under John 20:15-17 except I have a feeling jmfcst would just end up turning the whole thing into being about gays.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies