Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 11:25:15 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  The AverroŽs Nix Presidential Library
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Print
Author Topic: The AverroŽs Nix Presidential Library  (Read 8157 times)
Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2012, 11:01:52 am »
Ignore

2. Pursue and expand free trade agreements, especially those with countries with growing economies and positive or improving records of respect for democracy, human rights, workers' rights, free speech, and the environment. I would prioritize the following relationships: Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom, France, the Philippines, South Korea, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Ghana, Indonesia, Turkey.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2012, 11:10:51 am »
Ignore

By most accounts, Venezuela's record on human rights has improved over the last decade. As they are one of our 15 largest trading partners, this is something that I want to recognize and encourage. Note that I do not mean to imply than any of the countries on my list has a perfect record. (Consider Turkey and Indonesia, among others.)

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2012, 11:16:13 am »
Ignore

By most accounts, Venezuela's record on human rights has improved over the last decade. As they are one of our 15 largest trading partners, this is something that I want to recognize and encourage. Note that I do not mean to imply than any of the countries on my list has a perfect record. (Consider Turkey and Indonesia, among others.)

I dunno, it just seems weird to prioritize Venezuela over, say, Russia, India, Nigeria, Egypt, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Bangladesh, Colombia, Pakistan, or even Iran, just based on growth potential.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2012, 11:36:26 am »
Ignore

I dunno, it just seems weird to prioritize Venezuela over, say, Russia, India, Nigeria, Egypt, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Bangladesh, Colombia, Pakistan, or even Iran, just based on growth potential.

Venezuela is a larger US trading partner than all of those countries, save India and Taiwan (which is also the only county from that list that clearly has a better record on human rights). I didn't include Taiwan for two reasons: First, I want to focus a bit more on the western hemisphere. Second, I would prefer to avoid antagonizing China.

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2012, 12:46:59 pm »
Ignore

I forgot if I ever did this.

Endorsed for IDS Northeast Regional Senator. I look forward to following your campaign.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2012, 12:50:44 pm »
Ignore

I forgot if I ever did this.

Endorsed for IDS Northeast Regional Senator. I look forward to following your campaign.

You did. But thanks! That's two for the price of one!

and all is well until the heart betrays
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2012, 02:24:55 pm »
Ignore

No special relationships with Russia? Good.
Because Putin's Russia doesn't even deserves you giving a ****.
Endorsed (no Whig so far in the race)

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2012, 02:32:33 pm »
Ignore

No special relationships with Russia? Good.
Because Putin's Russia doesn't even deserves you giving a ****.
Endorsed (no Whig so far in the race)

Despite our differences, I appreciate your support. While I do not intend to take a hard line toward Russia, I will not be silent about Putin's abuses of human rights.

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2012, 02:55:10 pm »
Ignore

I saw the subtitle, and I read "Accepting Quests".

Can you go find the Holy Grail for me?

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2012, 02:58:39 pm »
Ignore

You know as well as I that we've already got one.

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »
Ignore

You know as well as I that we've already got one.

Wait, is that what that thing in your office is? Because I broke it while you were out.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2012, 03:27:07 pm »
Ignore

Nix: would you be interested in working to develop a comprehensive infrastructure plan focusing on these five points (below) so that we can further interregional cooperation on infrastructure?

1. Energy
2. Rail/High-speed rail/high-speed bus
3. Protected areas and expansion of our national park system
4. Broader transportation development (air and road development, as well as our current infrastructure maintenance and revenue measures such as infrastructure banks)
5. Water supply

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »
Ignore

That sounds great, SJoyce. Drop me a PM with any ideas that you have so far, and we can work together to draw up a plan.

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2012, 03:55:32 pm »
Ignore

That sounds great, SJoyce. Drop me a PM with any ideas that you have so far, and we can work together to draw up a plan.

Or I could just spit it into my campaign thread Tongue

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2012, 04:01:18 pm »
Ignore

Sure! I'll keep an eye on it.

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2012, 04:01:56 pm »
Ignore

Sure! I'll keep an eye on it.

Energy is up now; high-speed rail is next.

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:27 pm »
Ignore

What is your platform on environmental protection and renewable energy?  Leading on from this, how will you be able to direct clean energy businesses and investments to the NE as a Senator?

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2012, 11:49:01 pm »
Ignore

Thanks for the bump, Barnes. I haven't had many opportunities to deal with environmental policy in Atlasia, and the Senate has considered few environmental bills during my time here. With this caveat in mind, here are the broad strokes of my environmental platform.

1. I believe in climate change, although I think that the best policy conversation for us to have is how can we deal with it. We're rapidly nearing the point where it will be physically impossible to reverse the effects of climate change, but we're already at the point at which it is politically impossible to do so.

2. Point one aside, I'm a strong supporter of Atlasia's carbon tax, and I would like to explore increasing the amount of revenue that it generates. (I would offset this increase with an equivalent reduction to the corporate tax.)

3. Like John Muir, I'm a preservationist. Federal wildlands should be kept pristine. I oppose all efforts to sell these lands and most efforts to open them to logging, mining, and other kinds of economic exploitation. While I'm not opposed to opening these lands to the public, we shouldn't disturb them by building additional roads or visitor facilities.

4. I think that current subsidies for renewable energy are adequate. We should work to review policies, re-write regulations, and eliminate subsidies that encourage the use of fossil fuels. As Governor of the Northeast, I've signed into effect the highest gas tax in Atlasia - I would like to see the federal government follow suit.

5. I favor constructing new nuclear power plants once we have a plan for the safe transport and long-term storage of radioactive waste, but solar, wind, tidal, and geothermal energy should be our long-term focus.

6. The Northeast already hosts some of the largest wind farms in the country (Dutch Wind near the New York-Pennsylvania border, Kibby Wind in Maine, Maple Ridge in New York State's Tug Hill region, and - soon - Cape Wind off the shore of Cape Cod). In the immediate future, wind is the form of renewable energy that has the greatest potential in the Northeast, and as Senator I'd make this clear in all discussions relating to our federal energy policy.

7. I want to make energy cheaper and cleaner in Atlasia, but increasing energy efficiency and decreasing per capita energy usage are equally important to me.

I'm aware that I haven't even touched on many important aspects of environmental policy with this answer, so I'd welcome any more specific follow-ups that you (or anyone else) might have.

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:08 pm »
Ignore

I thank you for your answer, Nix.  I'm quite happy with the positions you believe in. Wink

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2012, 06:24:22 am »
Ignore

Would you be interested in expanding any specific wild areas?

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2012, 12:16:05 pm »
Ignore

Would you be interested in expanding any specific wild areas?

I would be interested in expanding and creating new wildlands in the drier, less populated areas of the Great Plains. With protection, these lands would revert to native shortgrass prairie.

Some areas in the Appalachian Mountains, stretching from Twin Tiers to the Blue Ridge Mountains, should be given further protection under the model of something like New York's Adirondack Park Agency.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2012, 03:15:02 pm »
Ignore

The next Northeast Assembly election is shaping up to be a competitive one, and I want to offer early endorsements for three declared candidates:

Former Speaker Cincinnatus (I-NY)
Speaker Alfred F. Jones (Lab-NY)
Former Senator Barnes (Lab-RI)

We have a couple of other quality candidates in bore and Goldwater, but I won't be making more endorsements until later in the campaign.

Scott, I'm jealous.

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2012, 03:29:41 pm »
Ignore

This is going to be the best damn Assembly ever...

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2012, 03:47:57 pm »
Ignore

I thank you very kindly for the endorsement, Governor! I gladly extend an endorsement to you for your race as well. If my party runs a candidate I might have to reconsider - but hopefully we will not. Wink

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2012, 03:54:21 pm »
Ignore

Thanks for the endorsement, Nixy!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout